Suggestion for Deerclops, other bosses to make game more fun

I have been playing basic Don't Starve and have really liked it. That was until Deerclops came along. The bosses just take over the whole game. It takes so much time and resources to kill them, then even if you manage they just come back again and again. Ruins the game for me.

Now if the bosses were more set piece tied to a specific location and  guarding an important item or resource they could be great. Once they are destroyed they should be gone forever, or until you resummon one using a crafted item (terraria style). The wandering boss that constantly respawns each season is just not much fun.

Also make the number of hounds random. Sometimes 1, 3, 5, 8, etc. The max number can go up with days. But currently is always like 10 hounds every time after day 100. Not too bad during the day, but at night it is a bit much.

I like the fact that bosses come out of nowhere to wreck the stuff you worked hard to build. Cause that way, you're able to strategically use them to take out other things. For example, I usually use deerclops to get rid of any merm houses, infested spider places, tentacles, and any treeguards just walking about. This way, you can get rid of a bunch of pests while collecting tons of resources at the cost of little to no health or sanity. The badger is a bit different as it eats everything. I usually just lead it off somewhere and hopefully it won't find its way back. As for hounds, well, by day 100 you should have enough resources to build hound traps so I usually just build a bunch of them in a giant hallway made of stone so that they have to run through the hallway in order to get you while stepping on all the traps along the way. The stone walls makes sure that fire hounds don't burn it up when they die.

You're suppsode to always be on your guard in DS. That's what's so fun about it. There's never a time when you're able to just relax and do something else. Bosses are great! When you think you're able to just chill and sit in your base then a giant Asparagus comes and is like "HI GUYS WHAT'S GOING ON?!" just like he does on the forums...ehehhehe

You can customize your world to have bosses come less often (or not at all if you like!).

The bosses are definitely a learning experience, a heavy curveball if you will... But once you learn a few tactics with how to deal with them, they are more of a nuisance (with possibly heavy fall out if you fail to take care of it.

If you don't want to face a boss, you should run far away from your base once you hear the call of one (excluding Goose, will get back to that one). Run to a wormhole that leads somewhere not near your base. Once the boss spawns, run back int othe wormhole. Done, no more boss for the season. Sucks when it happens at night, but that's what torches and other portable light objects are for.

Goose is a different story, however. She comes as soon as you get the boss message. The good thing is she doesn't really target your base for anything, so you don't have to worry about her destroying things. She only atttacks walls and that's only if they are in her way of a target she wants to fight. Her children are the worst thing about her. They'll raid your farm and crockpots of food. Generally, I find it better to just fight her. If she lays an egg, consider putting a wall around it. Stone is best as it won't catch on fire thanks to lightning or stray fire hound.

Good luck with your boss troubles!

The bosses are hard just a few times, then you learn how to take advantage of them... I like the bosses as they are, stop giving weird ideas to klei, did you know what happened when klei wanted to make a "set piece guard style boss"? just check out the dragonfly in together, is insane

On 4/17/2016 at 0:33 AM, grymbolt said:

I have been playing basic Don't Starve and have really liked it. That was until Deerclops came along. The bosses just take over the whole game. It takes so much time and resources to kill them, then even if you manage they just come back again and again. Ruins the game for me.

Now if the bosses were more set piece tied to a specific location and  guarding an important item or resource they could be great. Once they are destroyed they should be gone forever, or until you resummon one using a crafted item (terraria style). The wandering boss that constantly respawns each season is just not much fun.

Also make the number of hounds random. Sometimes 1, 3, 5, 8, etc. The max number can go up with days. But currently is always like 10 hounds every time after day 100. Not too bad during the day, but at night it is a bit much.

Do people just not see the world customization options in the menu at all?! Just generate a world with no monsters and less hounds. Done. Jeeez don't ask for things that already exist. Do a little searching first. 

Archived