Three small suggestions

I've suggested those on reddit first and the general response seemed to be OK so I'll post them here as well.

First - Whenever the player is somehow endangered there are visual/audio cues so that you can react accordingly. Your screen changes when you are about to freeze or overheat, starve or go insane, you even have notifications about when a monster is coming... However you don't have one that signifies that your HP is low. I think that the majority of deaths of experienced players are due to making stupid mistakes while you had low HP. I do know that there's an HP meter yet the lack of other cues makes you subcontiously less aware of it so the fact that your Wilson is alive feels like it's OK to walk around a swamp and collect stuff when a tentacle swats you or something like that. Please implement some visual cue about low HP. I think that it will reduce the number of stupid deaths without being OP in any way or giving an unfair advantage to new players

Two - sometimes you risk important mobs going extinct in the earlier stages of the game (beefalloes got Deerclops on a bad day, Volt Goats had an accident with the nearby hound mounds etc. Since we have the ability to make a doydoy nest can't we also have the ability to make a similar "meat effigy" for those important mobs as well? If it's relatively expensive (say it requires two or three horns to make) it can't lead to spam creating herds of such mobs, especially since it takes a lot of time for them to grow. It's just a failsafe in case of an accidental extinction and a nice way to transport them to a different location without resorting to teleporting them in pens where they endlessly run into a wall like idiots

Three - some sort of upgrades for the late game (I'm not sure how well will this one be received). There are many mods that dramatically decrease the difficulty of the game (more maps icons make gathering mushrooms a joke, same with tracking the coalephant; the crock pot mod allows you to never make the wrong meal etc.) However not having such stuff in a world where you've survived for several hundred days already is a tad strange since you have to deal with an entirely different type of scenarios during the late game. I think that it will be better if you survive to the end of one in-game year or so you get a small bonus - the ability to see certain mobs on the map, an additional inventory slot, being able to see the seasons or moon cycle etc. It won't make you OP since it will be introduced at a time when you've already survived all of the regular challenges the game has to offer and built a nice base with all important items but it will also make it a bit easier to mass craft stuff and keep track of the weather since doing weird calculations during day 349 is annoying.

@t7854

2: Losing prominent things is part of the game, in my opinion. Honestly, I'd prefer the two initial doydoys to be hiding in doydoy nests until the player picks them up, and the nests being uncraftable to make up for it. When beefalo go extinct, it is usually your fault. Volt goats leave a few horns behind when going extinct, their milk is far from mandatory, they're not needed for anything else.

3. I thought so too, but in making my "Industrial Resolution" it became apparent that DS late-game doesn't need more upgrades to use resources for, but new resource scarcity. Caves do this really well: Almost anybody goes on a hunt for lightbulbs or slurtle dens immediately, because lantern/minerhat fuel is a needed resource there. In the ruins, one looks for thulecite because you need it to craft ancient items.

Archived