Please Fix Waves

I guarantee everyone who's played shipwrecked has had this problem at least once. For the most part waves work as intended but once in a while you'll hit a series of waves perfectly and take damage. Hit the same wave at 90 degrees though and you'll boost. This has been happening since Shipwrecked was released and it needs fixing.

.... That's crazy, I was also pissed about that, looked into game files and found such an obivous mistake in the code, that whoever wrote wave_ripple.lua should be ashamed...

The entire fix takes 4 symbols (commenting two BAD lines of code) :/

Should i Make a mod for this, or there's a way to contact devs somehow?

47 minutes ago, IvanX said:

.... That's crazy, I was also pissed about that, looked into game files and found such an obivous mistake in the code, that whoever wrote wave_ripple.lua should be ashamed...

please make a mod... until it gets fixed! I always avoid waves or go on them holding my heart hoping I won't get flooshed >->

1 hour ago, IvanX said:

What exactly is the error? 

wave_ripple.lua

Line 66,69 and 73

if playerAngle < 0 then playerAngle = playerAngle + 360 end

if waveAngle < 0 then waveAngle = waveAngle + 360 end

if angleDiff > 360 then angleDiff = angleDiff - 360 end

Somebody seriously disliked negative angles, so much that he decided to break the math, just to get rid of them.. Although when you calculate difference between 2 angles, sign does not matter. Obviously with this weird condition angle adding, if you steered at 5 degrees, and wave was by -5 degrees (only 10 deg difference), wave angle was increased all the way to 355, and the difference became 350 deg, *bang, crash*

Here, I wrote a mod that fixes the bug, it also adds a feature (mod setting) to 'normalize' wave boost. It will work by 'cos' of direction, so if you hit wave at 0 deg, you get max boost, if you hit it by 90 deg, well, too bad :) no boost for ya

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=668503958

It's not as bad now that waves don't increase wetness through waterproof clothing. Crafting the occasional extra boat repair kit isn't much trouble but even so I tend to just avoid all waves to be safe, which is a shame as it's one of the most fun and unique aspects of the game.

Archived