Preference on Season Lengths

I know this has probably been asked a million times, but wanted to know what people preferred on the season lengths? I feel like Random is the best experience (and fits with the chaotic and dark lore of the world) as it makes it more difficult to prepare for certain scenarios. 

On 29/03/2016 at 9:14 AM, Schluck said:

I normally just use the default 20 days of Autumn and Spring, 16 days of Winter and Summer.

Same here. I've never touched the world generator settings at all, unless it's to see how long I can survive with everything on maximum (would recommend doing this BTW).

I have to say, I have just fallen out with Webber - don't get me wrong, I love Web's but after just dying on day 107, we are having a bit of time apart, I decided to have a play with another character I have never played before (Wigfrid)  So while acclimatising to her I have actually set the world gen to a long autumn for a dummy run, however I would normally leave all but winter as default, with winter set to longer.  There is always plenty I can do in winter but I love the slightly harsher climate :) 

I've done that.  It depends on how much of a "Leeme ALONE, I just wanna build up a nice base in (kinda) peace!" vs. "I feel like a challenge today.  BRING IT!" mood I'm in.  When I'm feeling more the latter, I just leave the seasons alone entirely, at default settings.  I've also never played with a mod; I'm an extremely vanilla player.  Putting them on random would be a bit TOO much of a challenge, especially with summer--finding gears for a fling-o-matic is a bit random, so I don't want the mini-glaciers to melt early!

When I'm in that "Don't feel like dealing with it today, thank you" mode I turn off spring and summer (or just summer, at least) and the giants.  I'm never prepared to actually _fight_ them, (not a good player, remember) so it's not like I'm missing out on cool drops or anything.  I'm missing out on the opportunity to have my entire base smashed and/or die pathetically of starvation in the wilderness.  :p  And I've _seen_ all of them, so, it's not like I'm just completely missing that content.  I'd LIKE to have a deerbrella or whatever one day, but I'm not quite there yet.

That said, I have tried the "Turn everything to the OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE!" settings deal, for fun.  I made it through _almost_ an entire (RoG) year as Wigfrid (lots of dangerous things around killing each other and leaving the meat!) until I hopped through the wormhole to my secondary base because of Dragonfly a little TOO close to night and couldn't get a fire going quite in time.  Whoops.

...Notorious

Hm, I like the idea of putting it on random.  I feel I know the world well enough that I can easily prepare and get going by the normal seasonal rotations.  If they were random, a short autumn might make it tough to get through a long winter.  I think I'll try that ^_^

Archived