Wandering The Wasteland: Land Of Bones

Wandering the Wasteland: Land of bones 

A fictional Don't Starve Together story inspired by jeneah's "Wandering the Wastleland: A tale of two sisters". 
The following is a logbook taken by an independent scientist named Wilson. 

Day 4: As the spider boy emerged from the tent, the silk shelter collapsed, ruining any chance I might be able to get a good sleep. We were all very hungry, and I toasted the few seeds we had collected and dispersed them evenly. I made sure to keep the berries though, I needed to be sure I lived to add list logbook to science. We grabbed a the rest of the rot from the ice box and left. I remember how the reports after the Wickerbottom twins disappeared had remarked how the land was stripped bare. Strangely, there seemed to be a large tree population. Perhaps the environment was somehow regenerating? I dismissed the thought as we foraged for plants again. As dusk fell, the strongman had gathered some twigs and seeds, while Webber had brought grass. Now we weren't in immediate danger of running out of torches. We spent the night beside a campfire, dreaming of feasts. 

Day 5: I wonder if it's a good thing we haven't seen many skeletons lately. The farther away we go from the spider nests, the less things seem to be ruined. We found a rocky area, where the ground showed evidence of a recent meteor shower. We gathered flint and rocks off the ground, and another strange yellow rock called nitre. Inside the rockyland, we discovered a nest containing a tallbird. I had read tallbirds are very aggressive , so I made sure to stay away from it. Then I realized inside the nest lay a delicious looking blue egg. I had the spider child distract it while I grabbed it and ran. 

The tallbird chased us for a long time, but we eventually outran it. As I was looking for a good place to spent the night, I discovered another small encampment. This one was surrounded by a ring of flowers, and had small farm plots inside of it. There was an ice box and a fire pit, but I paid extra attention to the three farm plots. Each plot had a fruit on top of it. I had Webber light a fire with the rot while I grabbed the fruit. Two watermelons and durian. We stood beside the campfire and I set down the blue egg I was previously carrying as I greedily cooked and my durian. The spider boy said it was too smelly for him to eat and the strongman had already ate one of the watermelons, so I was stuck with the smelly fruit. The durian tasted awful, but I was too hungry to care. But as I shoved the durian down my throat I realized the blue egg had started to hatch. 

Day 6: After spending the night beside the fire inspecting the hatching egg, I picked it back up and we continued our journey. We still had a food problem, but watching this egg hatch could be an excellent contribution to science. I decided to keep the egg, and we journeyed on. We crafted a crude hammer with our rocks and hammered any of the skeletons we came across. They would disappear in puffs of dust and we would be left with two small shards of strange bone. I determined the bones that appeared were definitely not human, and we collected them in hopes that they could be useful. As dusk came, we discovered a large collection of skeletons. This group of skeletons were the most we had even seen in one place, there were at least a dozen dead people. 

I theorized it was a battle to protect their land against the attacking Griefers, but the spider boy said they may have been fighting the spiders. Unlike the others, there was equipment near them. Anything perishable was already rot, but we found other things. There were backpacks, and we each took one. The strongman found a battle spear and helmet. In one of the many backpacks I found a lighter and some rocks. The spider boy found a mysterious flower that hadn't rotted. After we had finished hammering the skeletons and picking the corpses clean, we all had weaponry. However, none of the equipment was brand new. The collection of artifacts were between minimal wear at best and nearly ruined at worse. We built a campfire near where we discovered the skeletons, and I took comfort in knowing we could hunt for food now. 

Archived