Loyalties 
A fictional Don't Starve Together story.  
We donned our moggles and watched as a Wigfrid wandered near a spider and hit one. A huge horde of spiders headed for the Wigfrid who had killed a single spider. Then Wes gave a signal in chat and we charged into battle, just behind he spider horde. Only four people in the opposing army could actually fight. The rest held lanterns, protecting their allies from the darkness. Wickerbottom gave the instruction to focus down the ones holding the lanterns. The King, Woodie, WX-78 and the Wigfrid were hacking through the spiders with dark swords. The three Wolfgang's who we battled earlier held the lanterns. I threw a boomerang into the chaos and it hit WX-78, but he was too busy hacking through spiders to care. My teammates spammed boomerangs and the occasional blow dart. Then morning came. 

Many of the spiders had been slain, and mounds of silk and glands were everywhere. The King ordered his Wolfgang's to charge my allies. But by now all the spider murder had attracted the attention of the nearby spider queens. Three queens were closing in on us, and the webbing on the dens sealed any chance of escape. Wes, Wilson and Wickerbottom were fighting the Wolfgang's, and I ran over to join them. But as I was running my path was blocked by WX-78 and Wigfrid. The King and Woodie were fighting the queens by themselves, leaving WX-78 and Wigfrid to battle me. WX-78 drew his dark sword and nightmare armour, then he decided some pre-battle banter was in order. "Why can't you just up for once?" he asked. It was a question I didn't know the answer to myself. Even if I died here, I would die fighting for what I chose.

The robot charged me. It was a two versus one fight, and I was prepared. WX-78 had seemingly gotten better at kiting since our last encounter, but I still fought well. Unfortunately, fighting two people at once is quite difficult, and with Wigfrid in the equation I quickly found myself overwhelmed. When all seemed lost Wickerbottom ran in and got some surprise hits on WX-78 from behind. Wickerbottom also thought some banter was in order "Payback time, jerk!". With the librarian helping me, we managed to kill Wigfrid and force WX-78 to regroup with The King. Wes had finished off his opponent and was helping Wilson kill his enemy. Things were looking hopeful. Then I realized what The King and Woodie had been doing. They had killed all three queens, and now both had spiderhats. They gave their third spiderhat to WX-78. 

Wickerbottom and I ran over to where Wes and Wilson were. The Wolfgang's were all dead, but The King and his sidekicks were approaching with an army of almost thirty spiders. We charged them, hacking and slashing our way through the arachnids with our spears. The King and his cronies took pot-shots at us with boomerangs, careful to to turn their army against each other. As we had finished off the spider horde, we were all very low on health. We had no chance in an extended melee against The King. But The King and his entourage charged. Wilson was instantly struck down by The King, forcing us to back up. It was now three versus three. Things were going downhill quickly. The King and his friends charged. We split into two person duels. I battled Woodie, and I felt a little bad about it. He had tried to be nice, but here we were, settling our problems with violence yet again. 

He was good at kiting, but not as good as me. Even with my low health, I was able to kill him and only take a few hits. My health was now about 35. I wished we had prepared a little more before we came, since some jerky would have really helped. Then I got an idea. I ran around, avoiding the others and gathered all the spider glands. There was lots, probably enough to heal everyone to full health. I used the glands and joined the fight rejuvenated. As I ran in to help Wickerbottom fight WX-78, she was struck down. The ghost spat a string of curses at the robot, who now charged me. I fought him, this time he had no Wigfrid to interfere. It was an even fight, but I had an edge since he had been weakened by Wickerbottom. 

Dusk fell as we fought, and after a very long fight I managed to beat him. It was hard fought, and he had truly improved since our last encounter. But, as I killed WX-78, Wes was cut down by The King. It was just me and him now. I was at about 75% health, and I imagined The King had about half health. Night fell, and I attacked first. Partially out of fear if given enough time he could revive his fallen allies with hearts. We swung our torches at each other, but my armour broke forcing me to retreat. I ran over and grabbed Wes' log suit, which only had 20% durability. We continued our torch duel until morning fell. Then I grabbed a dark sword from Woodie's corpse, and prepared to fight once again. We were both good at kiting, but The King was better. He might have even been better than Wes. I tried to fight, but he soon had me low on health and without armour. Wickerbottom, Wes, WX-78 and Woodie all watched as ghosts. Nobody said anything, and I stood still waiting for The King to make his next move. Everybody knew he was going to beat me. Even after all this struggle, we had still lost. 

The King stood still, then spoke. "I will never understand people like you..." he continued his rambling "Who just cause trouble for the sake of causing trouble". "Why do you do it, Wes?" The King asked. Nobody answered. 

Wickerbottom spoke next "You don't seriously expect us all to bow down and share right?" she kept going "It's survival of the fittest for a reason, you can't expect everyone to want protect the weak!". Wickerbottom's words had sense to them, but they seemed unnecessarily cruel.

I wondered if I could still win. Perhaps I could convince The King to spare me. If I died now, nobody would ever topple The King. But I was starting to wonder who was really the bad guy here. The King then spoke, not to Wickerbottom, but to me. 

"Webber, did you side with Wes knowing that he wants to cause trouble just to cause trouble?". The King told me more "He attempted to indirectly destroy a base full of new players I was helping teach before". 

WX-78 then decided to add to The King's anti-Wes report. "He only sided with you before because he knew he couldn't fight me. He tried to destroy your base! Heck, if I wasn't successful in destroying your base, he would have done it himself!". That last reason made me feel a little irritated, but I was now seriously questioning my loyalties. Then Wes tried to convince me that he wasn't evil "This is a trick! Don't lose like this when we're this close to winning!". 

The King countered Wes "You lost the second I started talking, Wes". The King proceeded to speak again "Webber, I ask you to reconsider. Don't keep being Wes' pawn. All you need to do is walk away from this". I didn't know what to do. I was in no condition to keep fighting, and I didn't feel like fighting was even an option anymore. If I  disconnected or just walked out of the rocky biome, it would be the ultimate betrayal to Wes. I wasn't sure if I The King was telling the truth, but I had a feeling it must be at least partly true. It seemed I faced an impossible decision yet again, but this time there was really only one choice. I couldn't fight The King and win even if I wanted too. At the same time, if I gave in to The King, I had a feeling Wes would be beyond angry. I wondered if what he thought even mattered to me anymore. Then I knew what I had to do. Night was almost here, and when it fell, I walked out into the darkness with my moggles on, and fled under the cover of night. 

Side note: 25th story special is coming soon! 

Archived