Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players

Here's a couple I've experienced, not sure if most of them have been mentioned.

Don't "Gatekeep" public servers

It sucks when someone dies and becomes a drain on everybody's sanity. But it's not the end of the world. Don't kick them for dying. Public servers are for everyone. So if you want to enforce those type or rules, start your own server.

Understand Willow's passive is only in Don't Starve, and that trolling is not limited to a specific character (i.e. you can troll as any character)

This has already been touched on in this thread, but just because someone plays Willow, doesn't mean they're automatically going to troll. More often than not, the trolls I see are Webbers who spawn trap. Willow in my opinion, is a great character to play as if you're new to the game. She starts with a lighter, which means you don't have to rely heavily on grass and twigs for torches. She can also use that same lighter to cook food. She's resistant to fire, so you won't have taken as much damage when interacting with a fire as other characters would. And a sanity boost when near fire. And she has a seemingly useless bear that helps a bit when you finally do go insane.

TL;DR: Willow can't passively set your base on fire. You should be wary of all players equally, regardless of the character they chose.

Don't eat till you're full

Players are usually glad to have another player at the/their base to help make surviving easier. And of course, you will eventually get hungry. Which is okay, it's normal. But don't eat til you're full. It's rude and inconsiderate to the other players staying at the base. Plus, unless you're playing specific characters, there's a butt load of seeds that drop on the ground a lot of the time. Eat those.

Try to be wary of other characters flaws/perks

This is sort of linked to the one above. You're playing this game with other people, so try to keep that in mind. Wigfried only eats meat, nuetral mobs attack Webbers, Wicker relies heavily on books - so don't mess with them, etc. It's not fun playing Wendy only to find someone has misplaced her flower after I've died.

15 hours ago, eternalLocket said:

Don't eat till you're full

Players are usually glad to have another player at the/their base to help make surviving easier. And of course, you will eventually get hungry. Which is okay, it's normal. But don't eat til you're full. It's rude and inconsiderate to the other players staying at the base. Plus, unless you're playing specific characters, there's a butt load of seeds that drop on the ground a lot of the time. Eat those.

Then there's my island, where I overdebug meatballs that I leave a bunch of rot behind.:wilson_ecstatic:

On 3/2/2016 at 6:58 PM, GiddyGuy said:

Unless you're Wickerbottom and know EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(And also look fabulous in a garland ;))

[Offends in Wickerbottom] As a Wickerbottom Main myself, if you're in base game or a sad and poor weirdo who uses DST for the fact it's free RoG (Recently bought RoG and SW though) you only need a science machine for every science recipe and for every magic recipe a Presi-Prez-Creest.. How you do you even say it?? Prest-i-hat-ist-i-tat-or? yeah, that thing.

This thread has been really helpful and I'll be keeping it saved to refer other new players to. 

To touch on the flint thing: There was one server I joined, general public vanilla, where the spawn area had been picked completely clean. I had to move out about a day's worth of time (luckily I found fuel for a torch) in order to find 1 flint. Only day 3, mind you. As days progressed, I was able to accumulate a lot of grass, some wood with my 1 axe, twigs, and so on - except for anything else flint is required for. Maybe this servers flint was turned to low, but I was struggling. Once we started getting a camp going, I asked if anyone had flint. I was ignored. So alright, I kept on going because I've already put time in. Found 1 more flint for another axe by sheer luck. Asked for 2 flint one more time, ignored. Finally, someone asked me to go help them farm spiders, as I was playing Wendy. "Give me flint and I'll be your spider slave." Instant 40 flint. After days of struggle, this person had stacks of flint!

I could understand if I had asked for anything else, or asked for more than 2, but c'mon. I could have helped get things going more efficiently if my one request had been granted. 2 flint. Help your fellow players with basics at least in a flint starved world.

Also on socializing and game play, which has been touched on but: Don't expect players to play your way. So you don't like when people have conversations while playing? Unless it's your server, you don't have the right to tell them not to. Don't like client side mods? Don't use them. Understand that not all players are going to play your way. The only time you have the right to tell another player what to do (and I don't mean asking, I mean demanding) is when it's your server, or if they are harming the group as a whole. I rather like that public servers have all sorts of random possibilities contingent on the players.

Lastly: If you apparently generate really laggy servers for other players in public, I just wouldn't. I never lag but apparently when I make public servers, other people always seem to. So even though I've had a lot of fun and met some wonderful players on my own servers, it appears I won't be hosting. 

1 hour ago, AnitaCoffee said:

This thread has been really helpful and I'll be keeping it saved to refer other new players to. 

To touch on the flint thing: There was one server I joined, general public vanilla, where the spawn area had been picked completely clean. I had to move out about a day's worth of time (luckily I found fuel for a torch) in order to find 1 flint. Only day 3, mind you. As days progressed, I was able to accumulate a lot of grass, some wood with my 1 axe, twigs, and so on - except for anything else flint is required for. Maybe this servers flint was turned to low, but I was struggling. Once we started getting a camp going, I asked if anyone had flint. I was ignored. So alright, I kept on going because I've already put time in. Found 1 more flint for another axe by sheer luck. Asked for 2 flint one more time, ignored. Finally, someone asked me to go help them farm spiders, as I was playing Wendy. "Give me flint and I'll be your spider slave." Instant 40 flint. After days of struggle, this person had stacks of flint!

I could understand if I had asked for anything else, or asked for more than 2, but c'mon. I could have helped get things going more efficiently if my one request had been granted. 2 flint. Help your fellow players with basics at least in a flint starved world.

Also on socializing and game play, which has been touched on but: Don't expect players to play your way. So you don't like when people have conversations while playing? Unless it's your server, you don't have the right to tell them not to. Don't like client side mods? Don't use them. Understand that not all players are going to play your way. The only time you have the right to tell another player what to do (and I don't mean asking, I mean demanding) is when it's your server, or if they are harming the group as a whole. I rather like that public servers have all sorts of random possibilities contingent on the players.

Lastly: If you apparently generate really laggy servers for other players in public, I just wouldn't. I never lag but apparently when I make public servers, other people always seem to. So even though I've had a lot of fun and met some wonderful players on my own servers, it appears I won't be hosting. 

This is why the tip is to not build an ax.  Scour the world for 2 flints for a pick ax.  It's annoying, but worth it because the pick ax allows you an instant ax and other potential pick axes.

Though I do agree how selfish people are.  I personally try to only get enough for one torch early on, and then just grab 2 flint far away from camp.  Bonus points if by a rock area with a lot of flint (since they have flint lying around).

I asked if anyone had flint. I was ignored

This is fairly common on public servers from what I've seen so far. Generally people tend to ignore if anyone asks for where the base is because they're either afraid of a potential griefer or they assume the player is new and they are tired of babysitting.

This also holds true if any players ask for materials shortly after joining since many assume that the person is too lazy/incompetent to gather the materials on their own.

I am not against either asking where the base is or asking for materials. Especially flint because the world never starts you off with enough flint by the portal on default settings. Not even for 1 player, let alone 8-12 on public servers. I believe in giving players a chance to show us whether or not they're base sitters/parasites/griefers before sentencing a judgement on them, but I guess everyones' time is limited and patience will run short for a game that has been out for 4 years.

Whenever I first join a public server, I try and leave some flint by the entrance once I enter the mosaic or rocky biome and gather up a stack of it. Of course, sometimes people will pick up every piece of flint for themselves, but at least I try to make others' lives easier.

4 hours ago, LuxuryHeart said:

This is why the tip is to not build an ax.  Scour the world for 2 flints for a pick ax.  It's annoying, but worth it because the pick ax allows you an instant ax and other potential pick axes.

I did that tonight actually, on another flint starved world. xD You're right, works much better.

3 hours ago, Extant said:

This is fairly common on public servers from what I've seen so far. Generally people tend to ignore if anyone asks for where the base is because they're either afraid of a potential griefer or they assume the player is new and they are tired of babysitting.

This also holds true if any players ask for materials shortly after joining since many assume that the person is too lazy/incompetent to gather the materials on their own.

I am not against either asking where the base is or asking for materials. Especially flint because the world never starts you off with enough flint by the portal on default settings. Not even for 1 player, let alone 8-12 on public servers. I believe in giving players a chance to show us whether or not they're base sitters/parasites/griefers before sentencing a judgement on them, but I guess everyones' time is limited and patience will run short for a game that has been out for 4 years.

Whenever I first join a public server, I try and leave some flint by the entrance once I enter the mosaic or rocky biome and gather up a stack of it. Of course, sometimes people will pick up every piece of flint for themselves, but at least I try to make others' lives easier.

Yeah, I get why people mostly ignore it. I'm a fairly new player and I get tired of having to walk people to base the day they join, instead of as this thread suggests - trying to survive on your own and gathering some materials before asking for a bit. Still though, there's obvious reasonable requests, and there's unreasonable. Two flint. xD

51 minutes ago, AnitaCoffee said:

Still though, there's obvious reasonable requests, and there's unreasonable. Two flint. xD

You can't have mai 2 flint! Too precious! Moar precious than bone armor and thulecite crowns! :wilson_laugh:

It’s a good practice to pick up no more than 3 flint from around the spawn if you start in the early days, but the truth is that new players tend to grab everything they see, then go off and die in the swamp where you find a skeleton with a stack of flint and nitre or whatever useless thing they were toting around. I agree that most players can spare 5 flint for a recent addition who is capable of taking care fo themselves and knows what they’re doing. But it seems like 80% of the people who beg materials off of other players simply continue to do that every five minutes (“Got any grass?” Etc.) until they either get killed by a catcoon or darkness or they suddenly leave the server with all your stuff after wasting all the pig skin to make a beefalo saddle on day 10.

It’s good to develop strategies that don’t depend on being helped. If you can find a cave entrance that has already been opened, that’s often a good source of flint from the earthquakes. Meadow biomes have the most random flint lying around, and there’s usually one far from spawn where it hasn’t been collected. If you’re not finding flint, it sometimes helps to jump through a wormhole and branch out in a direction away from spawn. You shouldn’t really need a base to survive for several days (unless it’s winter or summer, and you should only join servers during those seasons if you’re pretty experienced), so instead of clinging to what the other players have already done, if you’re having trouble with resources, strike out for the less-explored parts of the map.

Mhmm, whenever I join servers (I try to find ones between day 1-5 in Autumn) I try to follow areas other players haven't noticeably been (poor used twigs) and if I see a worm hole, I go through it. If I'm playing Wendy I love cave diving. Wigfred, my other fav, I tend to stay top side a bit longer so I can find Walrus camps and such. I think my favorite play style with her is nomadic anyway. 

What @Rellimarual said are really good tips. (You happen to play a lot on public servers too, eh? :D) Caves and far away biomes are the best places to find flint, and mosaic, most players usually don't explore that to the end and therefore there's some flint there almost always. The only thing I could add is to keep your eyes open for birds in your first days: they might bring flint! (Or grass or twigs). It came handy a few times already to start off in a world.

I usually try to help new players when they ask for help, in most cases I can hear on their style if they truly need just a little push at the beginning (like @AnitaCoffeeneeded flint) or they are just lazy to gather stuff. My favourite was someone saying "I need food! I will starve" while dancing at the science machine. Well, well. But I almost never tell the base location to newjoiners, I think letting them survive for a few days is a really good way to filter out most of the leechers and trolls. And once they find the base or us they are welcome to cooperate.

2 hours ago, fimmatek said:

What @Rellimarual said are really good tips. (You happen to play a lot on public servers too, eh? :D) Caves and far away biomes are the best places to find flint, and mosaic, most players usually don't explore that to the end and therefore there's some flint there almost always. The only thing I could add is to keep your eyes open for birds in your first days: they might bring flint! (Or grass or twigs). It came handy a few times already to start off in a world.

I did not know birds dropped twigs and flint, that's awesome and I'll keep it in mind!

I did not know birds dropped twigs and flint, that's awesome and I'll keep it in mind!

They usually don't, but it seems to happen when new players join a server. I guess Klei added that in eventually to help address some public server issues. Also, it seems that hounds don't attack anyone that recently joined and hasn't survived a minimum number of days in the world yet.

I joined on day 36 several times and when hounds attacked a few days later, they simply didn't spawn around me because I was only around for 2-3 days I guess.

On 3/2/2016 at 6:34 PM, Dylan738 said:

Well done.

However, something about picking 4920858 flowers for no reason should be mentioned, I joined a day 3 server and 2 people had garlands... wtf!?

I pick flowers for manure I don't EVER make a garland

On 7/31/2018 at 6:54 PM, Sinister_Fang said:

That still removes butterfly spawns.

I hate when people say that when I spawn I say hey to collect petals and there like THATS A WASTE BUTTERFLYSSSSS I'm like it's for manure there like STILL A WASTE trust me there are more petals in the world then you think just make a butterfly farm at base

3 hours ago, GetRektKids said:

I hate when people say that when I spawn I say hey to collect petals and there like THATS A WASTE BUTTERFLYSSSSS I'm like it's for manure there like STILL A WASTE trust me there are more petals in the world then you think just make a butterfly farm at base

Removal of the spawns is the same exact reason why garlands are looked down upon. The reason might be different, but the effects remain the same. You're pretty much removing a good source of food/healing for people wandering about just so you can have a mediocre source of food at a specific location. Yeah, you can setup a butterfly farm at your base easily enough, but that's not really the point.

Besides, if you really want a lot of manure real quickly, light bulbs and a werepig seems like the fastest way to get some. You can gather a lot of light bulbs quite quickly, and convert them all into manure.

Don't be stupid... I guess

I joined a server in the middle of spring and it was raining. After couple of days wetness really got to me since I couldn't find spiders and pigs fast enough. So I did a shameful thing- I asked for base location.

Of course my question was followed by "How many hours have you got?". I said 450+ and that I had a solo world with 600+ days, so they wouldn't ask for my skills in-game.

Of course that was followed by "Can you fight?"

... NO I CAN'T! I've played this game for over 450 hours connatantly dying to spiders and mosquitos. And that 600+ world? Yeah I just god-mode it, right?...

Don't be stupid...

On 8/4/2018 at 6:02 PM, Szczuku said:

Don't be stupid... I guess

I joined a server in the middle of spring and it was raining. After couple of days wetness really got to me since I couldn't find spiders and pigs fast enough. So I did a shameful thing- I asked for base location. Of course my question was followed by "How many hours have you got?". I said 450+ and that I had a solo world with 600+ days, so they wouldn't ask for my skills in-game. Of course that was followed by "Can you fight?"

... NO I CAN'T! I've played this game for over 450 hours connatantly dying to spiders and mosquitos. And that 600+ world? Yeah I just god-mode it, right?...

Don't be stupid...

If it was a public server then it isn't shameful to ask where base is, so long as you don't spam it all the time. Also I think it's rather prejudiced to essentially leave people lost if they haven't got a certain number of hours/days. Even if this was a professional server or something that kind of thinking really gets on my nerves. How are newbies supposed to enjoy the game if people are pushing them out all the time?

I do understand it is sometimes to protect against griefers/trolls, but still...

On 6.08.2018 at 7:25 AM, Knowledgeable said:

If it was a public server then it isn't shameful to ask where base is, so long as you don't spam it all the time. Also I think it's rather prejudiced to essentially leave people lost if they haven't got a certain number of hours/days. Even if this was a professional server or something that kind of thinking really gets on my nerves. How are newbies supposed to enjoy the game if people are pushing them out all the time?

I do understand it is sometimes to protect against griefers/trolls, but still...

I usually, if it's still before Day 18 I try to scavange for some basic gear, and when I ask "Where is the base/do we have any base yet?" I try to bring some food into The base, usually taking The koalefant I find to The base (either chase/aggro it by attacking it) to wipe the unnecesary and unreal "noob image" around me. 

On 8/2/2018 at 3:22 AM, Sinister_Fang said:

Removal of the spawns is the same exact reason why garlands are looked down upon. The reason might be different, but the effects remain the same. You're pretty much removing a good source of food/healing for people wandering about just so you can have a mediocre source of food at a specific location. Yeah, you can setup a butterfly farm at your base easily enough, but that's not really the point.

Besides, if you really want a lot of manure real quickly, light bulbs and a werepig seems like the fastest way to get some. You can gather a lot of light bulbs quite quickly, and convert them all into manure.

I dont see it as a big deal like I said there is ALOT of petals like ALOT

So? If you pick every single petal near florid postern then you've left every new person, thant joins, without basic healing item and a decent food. As I and Fang've stated- manure is… well manure when it comes to being useful. Every decent player can sustain themselves without (improoved)farm. And even if you want to use farms, Fang's told you to use lightbulbs.

If you refuse to accept our advice then don't talk about this anymore.

Archived