King's Gambit

King's Gambit
A fictional Don't Starve Together Story

Winter began and the first few days went well. We built a couple hay walls and eventually an ice flingomatic, our base was growing in size too. We had more crock pots, an extra fridge, and almost a dozen drying racks. We didn't have a plan to fight the Deerclops, but hopefully I could get to making one later. Then, as I was going out to gather grass one morning, I encountered two wimpy Wolfgang's. Specifically the same Wolfgang's who had tried to kill me only a few days ago. They begged me for food and asked to join my base, but I was sort of getting sick of people asking that. I was seriously considering if I had a base, or just a shelter for people I beat in battle. I told them they couldn't join my base and that they should find their own food. Willow would probably give me heck for it later, but I thought our group was big enough. 

I went to gather grass, but then one of the Wolfgang's told me that there was a secret plot to raid my base. I was pretty sure this was a lie, but just to be safe I asked them more about it. They claimed the Webber I had killed and his Wigfrid sidekick had teamed up with the other two Wigfrid who had tried to mug us. Then I was told that the evil group was already searching for our base, and that once they found it they would strike. This seemed like a very complex lie, and I asked the Wolfgang's how they knew about such a plot. Apparently they had "been paying really close attention" to chat, and they said I should recruit them as guards to help us fend off this threat. I refused, and they said that once they found us we were going to get raided. I went back to the base after gathering grass and asked the group what they thought. 

Wickerbottom and Wilson said we should fight them, and Willow unsurprisingly thought we should recruit the Wolfgang's. We added some extra hay walls to the base and made some tooth traps to place when the attack came. The attack didn't come in the next few days, but a stranger did. It was a WX-78, who by looking at his username, was my neighbour from our old base. We fuelled the fire and asked him why he'd come. He told us three Wigfrid's and a Webber had come looking for us near his base. He had told them that we had moved, but when he did they just killed him and burnt down his base. This was a demoralizing act, WX-78 was an innocent victim of these people. There was no doubt that they would come for us soon, and when they did, we would fight. We armoured up WX-78 and have him a thermal stone to keep him warm, we also build some stone walls and placed them around the important parts of our base. Sure enough, one morning the two Wolfgang's came running into our base, warning us the Wigfrid's had finally come. 

We prepared our defences, and we fed and armoured the two Wolfgang's, on the condition they would fight for us. I actually left the base to see them for myself. They had set up a fire pit and crock pot about two screens away from our base. I tried to lure them in our base by standing near them, but they wouldn't move. They must be waiting for something. I went back to the camp with this information, and we discussed around the campfire. Wilson theorized they were trying to starve us out, and that when we ran out of food they would attack. I doubted this, since we had enough food to last the winter. Willow thought they could be waiting for reinforcements, and that perhaps they would attack once they outnumbered us. I honestly wasn't sure what they were doing, but I found out the next day. A hound attack was coming soon, and I realized this is what they waited for. 

We planted the traps, and when the hounds came, so did the Wigfrid's. The hounds attacked the Wigfrid's first, but the Webber busted one of our walls and led his group into the base. Willow and I charged, while WX-78 and Wickerbottom fought the hounds. Wilson raced from wall to wall, repairing them so the entire base didn't fall apart. There was at least 15 hounds, and about six of them ran through the hole Webber made. I duelled Webber, but Willow got mobbed by the Wigfrid's. I tried to save her, but I got stun-locked by hounds as I tried to escape my duel with the spider boy. Once Willow had died, they split up. The six hounds attacked Webber and I, but I was able to escape and rush over to Wickerbottom. I was at half health and my armour was broken, but Webber had died to the hounds. WX-78 and Wickerbottom had killed most of the hounds, leaving only the six inside the base left. The two Wolfgang's had helped with killing the hounds, but they were currently duelling two of the Wigfrid's.

I saw the third Wigfrid with a torch equipped beside the remains of our ice flingomatic. I ran over to the would-be arsonist, forcing her to draw her spear and fight, rather than burning down our base. But, in my haste I had left Wickerbottom and WX-78 to fight the six hounds alone. They had succeeded, but they were both badly damaged. I fought against the Wigfrid, the same Wigfrid who was in the mob Willow and I destroyed. Fortunately, she wasn't very good at kiting, and I managed to get the upper hand. As she realized I was winning, she ran over to our chests and lit them on fire. Without our flingomatic we had to defence against fire. I used a boomerang I had crafted before the battle, but it wasn't enough to stop her. She lit part of the walls on fire, and manually lit the parts that were smouldering.

I drew my spear and attacked, killing her, but the damage had been done. The walls burst into fire, and WX-78 and Wickerbottom, who had been near the walls fighting the hounds, died in the blaze. The Wolfgang's had managed to kill their opponents, and they rushed over to me. Only the stone walls were left untouched by the roaring flame. The once glorious base was gone, and with it, many of it's founders. Only Wilson and I remained. We hammered down the burnt structures, but we didn't have nearly enough resources to rebuild the base. This was the end of this base, but now that I had seen the power of the people united, I didn't think this would be the end of my empire. 

Archived