Seeds of Order

Seeds of Order
A fictional Don't Starve story. From The King's perspective.
This story takes place long ago before the events of Checkmate.
I had been playing on a wilderness PvP server for almost 16 in game days now. It had a world regeneration mod and the max world size, it also had almost 35 players. It was late summer, and I had just built a crock pot for my tiny base in the savannah. Things had been going smoothly, I had a neighbouring Wilson who I frequently traded with, and I avoided the major PvP that went on in the middle of the map. I was awful at kiting, and I couldn't fight to save my life (and it didn't help that I was playing Wendy) but I had a survived nicely. That was, until I got mugged, and this wasn't the first time, either. The first time I was robbed, two Willow's had come with axes and armour, and demanded all my food. I did understand though, they were probably desperate and they had died quite a few times. But, the second time was different. Two hardened robbers (both Wigfrid's), notorious in server chat, had come and taken everything from me. Everything, every last twig and piece of cut grass. 

Luckily then didn't wreck my little base, but I realized that I wasn't going to survive much longer like this. I needed some supplies, and fast. I foraged and managed to get enough flint and twigs for an axe, then I approached my neighbour. I convinced Wilson to give me some supplies, and I promised I would repay him once I was less close to death. I wasn't in immediate danger of starving, but I needed some supplies. I trekked out of Wilson's base, hoping to find someone in the wild who I could kill and steal from. I encountered a Willow, who was obviously a new spawn. She begged me for stuff and I told her that if she gathered grass, twigs and flint for me I would give her some food. It was an empty promise, but I was growing desperate. I had spent morning and dusk searching for a target, but hadn't found anyone. Then I found a Woodie beside a science machine. I stayed out of screen range until night, were as he built a campfire I slipped in near him and attacked with my axe. He panicked, and ran out into the darkness, only to meet his death.

I hammered his science machine, since I had one back at my little base, and grabbed his stuff. He had lots of berries, and a good amounts of grass, twigs and flint. I wasn't going to die so easily after all. But, then the Willow I had met earlier came back, and she proudly placed a stack of twigs, grass and 13 flint on the ground. I was quite surprised, I didn't expect her to actually gather things for me, so I kept my promise and gave her some of the berries I had collected. Then she asked if she could join my base, which I would have normally declined, but I had a feeling this Willow truly wanted a partner. That, and that she just got me a ton of stuff. I lead her back to my base, and commissioned her to gather manure and chop trees. I built us spears, log suits and backpacks. Then I gathered twigs and grass. I introduced Willow to my neighbour, why was pleasantly surprised to a new member of our little base complex. 

But, that night everything changed. Night fell as Willow was coming back from gathering, and I was feeding the fire. Then, the two bandits who had robbed me two days before came back. They demanded I give them whatever I had in my inventory. I wasn't going to stand for this, they had mugged me before, but they weren't going to do it again. Although I was awful at kiting, I charged them, spear in hand, wearing my log suit. Unfortunately, their basic ability to kite was very effective against an inexperienced PvPer like me. I tried to tank them, but they dodged my hits, and would then swing in to hit me once or twice. I adapted and tried to copy their technique of kiting, and it worked well. I dodged most of their hits, and even got a few of my own. I was better at kiting that I thought, but it was too late in the fight to make a comeback. I had already lost a lot of health as a result of my blind tanking, and my health was ticking down slowly as I took hits. I needed a miracle, and then Willow came running through the darkness. She seemed to instantly realize what was going on, and rushed into the battle, spear in hand. 

Willow kited them like a true warrior, and finished the job I had started. In the end, the two skeletons and their supplies dropped to the ground. I was amazed at how Willow had become Rambo overnight, but I didn't question it. Then I realized something, these guys would probably be back once they chose their new characters, and they would want revenge on us. I told Willow about this and she suggested we move our base. I thought this was probably a good idea, since the beefalo heard we were near was pretty small anyway, and with all the gold and rocks we got from the Wigfrid's we could build a base anywhere. We hammered down the structures, and I headed over to Wilson's base. I talked to Wilson, and tried to convince him to come with us, but he declined, stating he was happy with his little base. I wished him good luck, and Willow and I set off. 

Archived