Inability to play due to forced dedicated server.

Hello, I have been enjoying DS and DST for a little while now.  Not incredibly good at it, but I would like to believe I am decent at it.  Typically I can kite a pig or group of spiders without taking a hit (or at least not too many).  I have been known to chase butterflies to kill them for their wings.

I play exclusively as the host, without exception, due to the minute amount of lag when playing as a client.  So, I started playing as a host and letting people join me.  Since I made that choice, I have been having a lot of fun, playing well, and having made it farther than I have in both DS and DST. 

Since these two latest updates, 166077 and 166277, I have found myself unable to play.  That lag I mentioned?  I experience it as the host, due to the forced server.  Now, chopping trees takes 2-3 times long, with about one chop per second.  Fighting groups of spiders is incredibly difficult (actually, deadly.), and kiting a single pig is impossible.  I can not even kill a single butterfly by chasing it down to where my body is touching it, and attacking it with a spear.  Even starting combat with a single pig is difficult, as when I move towards them, and attack, with our bodies touching, they run, as though I was simply standing too close to them.  In fact, in one instance, it took me 5 tries to get it to aggro on me, after which I shortly died due to my inability to attack it, and it's ability to attack me at twice its normal range.

In short, my play style, and ability to even defend myself against the simplest of foes has been rendered to the point where rabbits are more capable than me.  In previous games, I have fought and beaten deerclops, large treeguards, among other tough foes.  I am not an inexperienced player.  I am not someone who wishes for an easy time to play.  I am simply someone who wants my experience to be fair.  Tough, sure.  Challenging, yes.  Difficult?  Sign me up.  But fairness is something that is needed.  My experience has gone to one of a fun challenge with friends and strangers to one of frustration. 

In conclusion, I have simply one request.  Do not force us to play on dedicated servers if we do not wish too.  Allow us to host locally.  It would please players like me that wish to host locally, in an exclusive way.  Mark our servers as locally hosted, make people have to change a setting to even see our servers that are locally hosted, whatever it takes.  But please, for those of us who find this forced servers to be absolutely game-changing, and potentially game-breaking, please, allow us to host locally.

I thank you for taking the time to read this

Welcome to the forums.

The recent update 166227 added the Multi-Leveled Worlds option that allows you to choose between old way (locally hosted world, no caves) and new way (mini dedicated server started in the background, possible to have caves). The option should be displayed at the first start, later its value can be changed in the Options.

Then they should have been more specific.  Also, they way it is worded, it asks if your computer can handle running multi-leveled world, which, if it's doing a sever, it doesn't matter, since you aren't hosting it.  So yes, my computer could handle hosting and running a multi-level world.  Would it struggle?  Maybe a little, but it would be fine after I actually close down firefox and the like. 

And alright, thank you.  I will test this out.  But, out of curiosity, is there any way to host, in the old, local way, a multi level world, in that case?

This lastest update has caused a few.. hiccups. Then again DST is still in Beta technically so its expected. Hopefully things will get smoothed out and you will be able to host without lag once more! I have been having some serious lag on the dedicated servers then again I do live in the middle of no where with a computer that can only be described as Frankenstein's monster. 

I try to be understanding, and realize it is in beta (however, game mechanics are pretty much set in place as far as I can see), and most of the testing is in the multiplayer part of it, I just wished there was a bit more of a buffer.  And that they were slightly more..shall we say, transparent.  I read the change logs for both updates, and neither mentioned this particular change.  And I can understand that this may seem like a small deal, and it probably is, but still.  For me and certain other people, it is a big one.

And I don't have horrible lag, it's maybe 200-300 ping.  But that's the lag I get to any dedicated server. 

Archived