For those who haven't looked at his strings:

"I've always been a loner, me. Tha boss mostly lets me alone, which suits me fine.",

"My wagon's pulled by a nox. 'Es a good 'un, but 'e can't hold a candle to my old mule, Shadow.",

"Once, when I was but a young shaver... oh, but ya don' wanna listen to an old trader's stories.",

"What's a nox? Well, I don't know as I can rightly describe it. It's kinda like an ox, but not.",

So he can't be Maxwell... or can he be?

Well, first of all, the puzzles tell us that Maxwell (or William Carter) was planning to meet his brother, Jack Carter, with the intention of discussing the forbidden magic he was learning to use.

In his initial letter, Jack wrote "[...] I can't believe she hasn't met the Twins yet!", meaning Abigail was still alive. However, by the time Wendy arrives at the realm of Don't Starve, Abigail is already dead. I've always speculated that, when Maxwell and Jack were finally able to meet, the magic somehow caused Abigail's death, horribly tormenting her father and making him cut off ties with Maxwell to protect his remaining daughter.

Later on, when already trapped within the realm himself, we know Maxwell got the different playable characters into it through deception. But seeing those files, it's possible the trader is Maxwell's brother, which would mean he was also taken into said realm at the same time as Wendy.

Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong.

15 hours ago, Zeklo said:

I'd buy the Maxwell's brother/Wendy father thing. He does have those white eyes.

This is a very important and weird point. Previously, all male characters (apart from Webber, but he has spider eyes) had pupils. For this figure to have empty eyes is inconsistent with previous designs. Either this is a purely cosmetic choice by Klei, or there's some great significance to it.

Additionally, I question a direct link to Maxwell because of certain facial features. Maxwell has a strong jawline and pristine teeth, while this gentleman features a large underbite, more rounded face, and appears to be missing some teeth. Another curious thing is how much of his body his Beefalo suit covers. All we see are his face and hands. We do not know if he is thin, fat, short, tall, covered with scars...It's almost as if he's hiding something.

• Developer
16 minutes ago, Naipseht said:

This is a very important and weird point. Previously, all male characters (apart from Webber, but he has spider eyes) had pupils. For this figure to have empty eyes is inconsistent with previous designs. Either this is a purely cosmetic choice by Klei, or there's some great significance to it.

What about Warly, though?

Or are we not considering that as canon?

9 minutes ago, Naipseht said:

That's an interesting observation. I feel like Beefalo Bill is a pretty obvious reference to the Buffalo Bill character from Silence of the Lambs who had a penchant for cross-dressing. So maybe the lack of pupils is just Beefalo Bill wearing some fancy contact lenses in an attempt to be more feminine. Klei is really pushing the diversity card hard lately. I like it! Oh, and it also ties into him trading SKINS since that character would literally (gore warning) skin people so that he could wear their skins. o_O

(Though it's probably a reference to the non-serial killer Buffalo Bill, but let's ignore that because a cross-dressing, serial killer skin trader lends to more interesting lore.)

27 minutes ago, Naipseht said:

Additionally, I question a direct link to Maxwell because of certain facial features. Maxwell has a strong jawline and pristine teeth, while this gentleman features a large underbite, more rounded face, and appears to be missing some teeth. Another curious thing is how much of his body his Beefalo suit covers. All we see are his face and hands. We do not know if he is thin, fat, short, tall, covered with scars...It's almost as if he's hiding something.

Woodie and Warly have white eyes while Wickerbottom also has pupils.

It's most likely just a design choice to choose what type of eyes fits the character more. 

Woah Woah Woah....BACK UP!!!

Where was the original picture found? Who found it, where and when and why and how?!

Or it's a mystery so profound you cannot fathom its depths!

I like a bit of cave humour myself...

Let's hope we won't be caught in the dark too long about this. It may rock the community quite a bit.  I have waited a whole lot to learn more back story...

2 hours ago, MycoLogical said:

Where was the original picture found? Who found it, where and when and why and how?!

If your referring to the picture with all his parts, that was me. If you're referring to the beefalo man as a whole, he is the new guy who lets you trade in skins for better ones in DST.

5 minutes ago, MycoLogical said:

Huh, where do you find him? In the caves?

In the main menu there's a tab called Collection. Click on that and, if your in the Trade Inn beta branch, you can visit the Trade Inn to trade extra clothing items to him. The ratio is 9:1, trading nine of something for a higher rank up to distinguished with the chance of getting something higher each time.

16 minutes ago, MenaAthena said:

In the main menu there's a tab called Collection. Click on that and, if your in the Trade Inn beta branch, you can visit the Trade Inn to trade extra clothing items to him. The ratio is 9:1, trading nine of something for a higher rank up to distinguished with the chance of getting something higher each time.

Cheers

Also, did anyone notice that it's way more effective to sell commons on the market and use that money to buy higher tiered skins? I saw a bunch of commons on the market sold at about 4 cents each, and a distinguished canadian jacket for 12 cents. That's 3:1 for like 3 tiers better too.

9 hours ago, nome said:

Or it's a mystery so profound you cannot fathom its depths!

8 hours ago, MycoLogical said:

Woah Woah Woah....BACK UP!!!

I like a bit of cave humour myself...

Let's hope we won't be caught in the dark too long about this. It may rock the community quite a bit.  I have waited a whole lot to learn more back story...

Maxwell's quote

• Plugged Sinkhole- "I plugged it a long time ago."
  • Skeleton- "Ha! I remember that one."

Beffalo Bill quote: "I've always been a loner, me. Tha boss mostly lets me alone, which suits me fine.",

There's a connection here somewhere...

Just now, ThaumicParrot said:

Also, did anyone notice that it's way more effective to sell commons on the market and use that money to buy higher tiered skins? I saw a bunch of commons on the market sold at about 4 cents each, and a distinguished canadian jacket for 12 cents. That's 3:1 for like 3 tiers better too.

This will change, knowing the Steam Market.

9 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

This will change, knowing the Steam Market.

Your forgetting the percentage that steam and Klei get from the purchase you don't get the entire 4 cents = 2, 12 = 10 cents on the market for your purchase. So you would need to sell more than 3:1 to purchase a higher teir just thought you'd wanna account for that.

On 2/12/2016 at 8:47 PM, MenaAthena said:

So wait, if the Trade Inn guy has a story, does that mean there's a story behind the skin drops to?

There is very likely a story behind them. When you obtain a present it is whispered to you while quickly sliding onto your screen. When equipping it the shadow hands raise from the ground. They tempted every character in but they never expected Wilson to make that unclear deal with Maxwell. Also its very likely that Wilson portal actually revives people as it brings in characters who were brought in before him (failed replacements for Maxwell). The shadow hands still only watch but are now attempting to get involved as they may begin trying to leave which they don't want to happen.

Archived