Dedicated Server Quick Setup Guide - Windows

• Developer

1. Download and install SteamCMDClick here to download

2. Visit the Klei Accounts site and log in to your account. (Please note, Dedicated Servers are not supported for the Xbox and PlayStation versions of the game.)

Spoiler

2_login_ku.png

3. On the accounts page, visit the “GAMES” tab, then scroll down to Don’t Starve Together and click on the “Game Servers” button.

Spoiler

3_gameservers.png

4. If you don’t have any server yet, please click the “ADD NEW SERVER” button. If you have a valid server, click the green “CONFIGURE” button. Expired servers are colored in red and should be deleted.

Spoiler

add_new_server.jpg

5. In the “Configure Server” page you will find a form with some options that you can edit to customize your server. Once you are ready, click the “Download Settings” button. Download the Zip archive, extract the content, and place the folder “MyDediServer” inside \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\.

Spoiler

configure_server.jpg

mydediserver.png

6. Copy and save the following text to:

• \\Documents\Klei\StartDSTServers.bat
Spoiler

c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +app_update 343050 validate +quit
cd /D "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server\bin64"
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer_x64 -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer_x64 -console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves

Please Note: You will need to fix the file pathing if the steamcmd or the game’s folders were not installed in the default location.

7. Checklist of all the files you should have now:

Spoiler
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster_token.txt
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\cluster.ini
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Master\server.ini
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\server.ini
  • \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\MyDediServer\Caves\worldgenoverride.lua
  • \\Documents\Klei\StartDSTServers.bat

8. Double-click StartDSTServers.bat to start your dedicated servers!

Edited by ScottHansen
changed scripts to be x64 based
  • Like 41
  • Thanks 7

7 minutes ago, artemiyME said:

the path was generated because you started server with old config files, and server had no folders in place, you have to clean out the folder and make new one at .klei/<YourMainClusterFolder>, then make Main+Caves folders inside of it, etc.

which one is the main cluster folder so now my server files seems like this

~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether$ ls
backup  chat_log.txt  client.ini  client_save  Cluster_1  log.txt  modoverrides.lua  save.old  server_token.txt  settings.ini.old  worldgenoverride.lua
~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether$ cd Cluster_1
~/.klei/DoNotStarveTogether/Cluster_1$ ls
cluster.ini  Master

Edited by Gingerbread

your main cluster folder is DoNotStarveTogether, it wil lcontain Caves and Overword settings/info of each cluster

1. save files "settings.ini.old", "server_token.txt", folder "save.old", "modoverrides.lua", " worldgenoverride.lua "
2. delete everthing in that folder.
3. follow the guide starting from #6

1 minute ago, artemiyME said:

your main cluster folder is DoNotStarveTogether, it wil lcontain Caves and Overword settings/info of each cluster

1. save files "settings.ini.old", "server_token.txt", folder "save.old", "modoverrides.lua", " worldgenoverride.lua "
2. delete everthing in that folder.
3. follow the guide starting from #6

Could you tell me how to enable mods in this new version?

this is sort of headache, especially with rented dedicated servers and their file system is a bit different than how you run a dedicated server off your personal connection, how do i get my mods back on my server with my all settings.ini from the old way of doing things pre-cluster?

• Like 1

This update has borked my server and I'm not even sure I can be bothered to support them with a 24/7 dedicated server anymore. This whole thing seems a bit arse about face if you ask me. Running multiple servers for 1 game server ? 

This should have stayed optional . 

Edited by haywardGB

1 minute ago, haywardGB said:

This update has borked my server and I'm not even sure I can be bothered to support them with a 24/7 dedicated server anymore. This whole thing seems a bit arse about face if you ask me. Running multiple servers for 1 game server ? 

Only way we can get caves content durning that process, not sure if they changing it. But 2 servers, does help with lag issues i think since the caves are sort of paused while the overworld is running.

Just now, Nikonarou said:

Only way we can get caves content durning that process, not sure if they changing it. But 2 servers, does help with lag issues i think since the caves are sort of paused while the overworld is running.

You'll have players in both worlds, so two processes are running regardless. If you ask me, this will use more resources. 

23 minutes ago, wqwz111 said:

Could you tell me how to enable mods in this new version?

I did not get that far, and I have to go now, but I'm pretty sure with 2 same options you had before modoverrides.lua in Cluster folder or modsettings in DST steam folder.

9 minutes ago, haywardGB said:

I'm pretty sure reason this is being changed is exactly because Klei is gearing up to merge servers into one, instead of hosting them separately (since player hosted cave/overworld merged server are in beta already)

Edited by artemiyME
  • Like 1

Just now, artemiyME said:

I did not get that far, and I have to go now, but I'm pretty sure with 2 same options you had before modoverrides.lua in Cluster folder or modsettings in DST steam folder.

Thanks, my server does not work right now. I have followed all steps listed above. the console is showing like below:

[Steam] SteamGameServer_Init(8768, 11000, 27018)
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
dlopen failed trying to load:
steamclient.so
with error:
steamclient.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.
[Steam] SteamGameServer_Init(8768, 11000, 27019)
steamclient.so
with error:
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.
[Steam] SteamGameServer_Init(8768, 11000, 27020)
steamclient.so
with error:
[Steam] SteamGameServer_Init(8768, 11000, 27021)
steamclient.so
with error:
[Steam] SteamGameServer_Init(8768, 11000, 27022)
steamclient.so
with error:
[Steam] SteamGameServer_Init(8768, 11000, 27023)
steamclient.so
with error:
[Steam] SteamGameServer_Init(8768, 11000, 27024)
steamclient.so
with error:
[Steam] SteamGameServer_Init(8768, 11000, 27025)
steamclient.so
with error:
[Steam] SteamGameServer_Init(8768, 11000, 27026)
steamclient.so
with error:
[Steam] SteamGameServer_Init(8768, 11000, 27027)
steamclient.so
with error:
[Warning] SteamGameServer_Init failed 

• Thanks 2

I followed the instructions to the letter, I'm fairly certain, except I changed survival and cooperative to endless and social in the ini.

When I open StartDSTServers.bat I get the error "Windows cannot find 'dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

• Like 4

@V2C

After creating a text document named cluster_token.txt , putting in the server token and saving it, I don't exactly know how I'm supposed to carry out step 7 when I don't have any other files than these.

Spoiler

EZiwqL1.png

Edited by Coleoud

hmm so i am able to make it work but the problem is caves did not work even though i added server.ini file of caves. I am told artemiy's server has no caves at the moment too. Are we missing something here or is there something not covered in this thread?

Edited by Gingerbread

• Developer

Hey guys, I know this is not an easy process, but I'll try my best to work through it with you.

First of all, I'll try to explain the folder structure:

All save data goes inside \\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether now, whether it is your client save slots, or your dedicated server saves.. There is no need to use the -conf_dir command line argument anymore.

Inside, you may find folders for Cluster_1, Cluster_2, etc... These are save slots when hosting from the game client. I recommend you leave these folders alone.

The "MyDediServer" as mentioned in the guide is any custom folder name for your dedicated server save. It can be anything, and will be used in the command line argument "-cluster MyDediServer", for example.

Within your cluster folder (e.g. MyDediServer), there will be two more shard folders, one for the Master shard (aka Forest world), and one for the Caves shard. Again, the folder names can be anything ("Master" and "Caves" is recommended) and will be used in the command line arguments "-shard Master" or "-shard Caves" for example. 

Typical set of command line arguments would be:

"-console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Master" <- to start the master forest server

"-console -cluster MyDediServer -shard Caves" <- to start the slave caves server

NOTE: Remember to check the worldgenoverride.lua inside the Caves folder to make sure DST_CAVE preset is enabled.

• Like 2