What do you put inside of your Chester.

Misaki

I don't like using Chester as an extra backpack, so instead I turned him into a mobile arsenal, On Tentacles book is for Hound/Worm attacks, Wooden armor is for minor fights, Shadow armor is for huge kiting fights (Example: Bearger, Moose), Marble is for tanking fights (Example: Deerclops), Flute is used to put Chester in a safe place during an attack and 14 Gunpowder is here especially for Dragon Fly, Kit and Salve for patching myself up and Amulet if everything goes wrong. YTh4BF2.png

What do you keep inside Chester?

Me:

• I only ever use Chester as a food storage... that's after he's been transformed into Snow Chester... otherwise, he stays at base (both in DS and DST) when I already have a base set up and don't need to constantly carry a backpack containing my resources (grass, rocks, twigs, flint, logs, gold, etc)
  • As Snowy Chester, I take him in Winter to store misc. items from McTusk as now I can wear warm clothing instead of backpacks
  • Caves! Snow Chester is awesome! you can make 2 full stacks of Jerky and/or a few bacon and eggs and/or honey ham and keep them for longer during extended excavations, Ancients Gear crafting and Nightmare Fuel farming, etc., without worrying of running out of food or getting attacked by bunnies!

*hugs Snow Chester*

I use Chester only while playing Wolfgang. I'd rather use my body slot for Hunger Belt/Armor. Chester is either for food or ruins stuff. I always transform him into the Shadow version.

Packim, though... I never use him. He sucks. 90% of the time he will get in my way and waste either my time of weapon durability.

Chester is my targe brother. Hunting hunters is only possible thanks to him. I usually give him back-up gear, as, by the time I'd need his extra slots, my first batch of equipment probably broke already.

As for Packim, I need his extra slots for the abundant pirate treasure. There's a discussion about this on my review in the Shipwrecked subforum, so please don't discuss this matter here. Thank you!

I keep a backpack on me at all times, that's where my tools stay. I don't have a problem with switching between it and armor when I need it, and I just don't use clothes in the chest slot. Chester is for extra tools and equipment that I don't often need to use (Umbrella, Traps, etc.), as well as for things I gather that I don't have room for in my inventory or backpack.

Everyone else's posts make me feel like such a noob. :v

11 hours ago, Dragara said:

I keep a backpack on me at all times, that's where my tools stay. I don't have a problem with switching between it and armor when I need it, and I just don't use clothes in the chest slot. Chester is for extra tools and equipment that I don't often need to use (Umbrella, Traps, etc.), as well as for things I gather that I don't have room for in my inventory or backpack.

Same with me. I've been trying to get a Snow Chester for quite a while however, so I can use him in the Summer for storing a thermal stone and keep cool.

I have Chester follow me around with items that I want handy but don't want to waste the inventory space on, for instance, stuff I may want on a whim. Panflutes, boomerang/blowdarts, eyebrella, winter hat, thermal stone, sewing kit. I put all my resources (Wood, Rocks, Gold, Flint, Twigs, Grass) in my backpack's first slot, usually have a helmet and a body armor in the last slot so I can just switch it. As for my main hotbar, that's where I keep my weapons and tools, and Chester's eyebone. I hardly actually carry food on me, but when I do I put it in my backpack's normal helmet slot so if I die to, say, hounds, they don't eat my 40 jerky or whatever.

I use him to keep my tools in and loot when a backpack isn't enough.

On 2/11/2016 at 7:39 AM, Glhrmzz said:

If only they would make Chester / Packim Faster i would use it more. Since they are slow and can't keep up with Cane Speed and now Coffee they will be in base forever.

Something inconsistent I find with packim, he is actually fast enough to keep up with me. For example, walking cane, coffee, shark hat, and a fast armored boat+sail and he just keeps teleporting just off screen to me.

Coffee effect for RoG world, erm, that just does not really seem OK to me. For sw world? definitely needed but for RoG world? Probably bringing this coffee and its plants should be disabled... I like RoG with slower movement speed... Being too fast in a small world is just too OP. Because SW is mostly sea where there is an acceleration at sea which means that coffee speed bonus does not really help you at melee fights(only helps you when you are on the land in sw) but this is totally ridiculous for RoG world.. Every mob, every fight is even easier.

For the question, chester is always a snow chester in my ds worlds where i use him as a spare thermal stone cooler for summer days or a mobile icebox... When the thermal stone gets hot on me i switch stones and its done. No endo fires required. also i use him for extra inventory slot. So I use him really much

But again, this coffee effect seriously does not look good on RoG world. It looks too OP.

I use Chester differently in Sandbox Mode compared to Adventure Mode. In Sandbox Mode, I mostly use him to store items I want ready access to but don't need to be able to grab immediately, like Fire Darts in case I want to get rid of a spider colony in a hurry. Once I've found 9 blue gems I upgrade him to Snow Chester and use him to store most of my food when I'm out of camp, although generally not healing food because I need to have that ready at a moment's notice. I also fill him up with random stuff I find when I'm out exploring and have already filled up my inventory, although I arrange my inventory so I have the more useful discoveries on my person and Chester can carry things like the Things that are completely useless except in one specific place. In Reign of Giants being able to cool down thermal stones inside him is also very convenient.

I'm kind of a pack rat, so in Adventure Mode I want to drag as many things around with me as humanly possible if I can't leave them at a base and come back to grab them later. This makes Shadow Chester's three extra inventory slots very valuable. I still use him to store things that aren't as immediately useful as what I keep in my inventory, like the Living Logs I dragged around through four out of five worlds in my last run, or a stash of pig skin to make football helmets and ham bats on demand.

...Also the way he magnetically attracts monsters is sometimes useful, like when I want to destroy a spider nest without every single one of them going after me and am too impatient or short on grass to use traps.

On 2/11/2016 at 4:39 AM, Glhrmzz said:

If only they would make Chester / Packim Faster i would use it more. Since they are slow and can't keep up with Cane Speed and now Coffee they will be in base forever.

Don't know about packim, but chester will teleport a little offscreen if you move to away. 

My chester is filled with rare drops that I won't be picking up frequently, like, say gravedigger items or living logs or something along those lines.  I also put extra or high value food in him.

I keep his eyebone in my first backpack slot, so I can drop it and equip armor before a fight, a fair distance from where it will take place. 

Archived