What is a reliable source of food?

I can't seem to find a way to farm any food on this DLC, coconuts spawn palm treeguards really often and berries get taken off by wind, which forces me to keep moving and it's very hard due to the second season (Volcano I guess) ruining any fire I make, let alone the long nights.

I don't know but everything seems to plan to kill me starting from day 20, my longest was day 30.

So, what do you think?

Aside from the things mentioned above, have you considered a Prime Ape massacre?

Feed two Prime Apes some banana and instruct them to attack another Prime Ape while there are a bunch of Prime Apes around. You can hold CTRL then clicking another Prime Ape that is not directly beside you, then move away before your attack executes and watch your befriended Prime Apes beat their chest which would indicate that they are going to do their attacking pattern. Be sure to distance yourself from your befriended Prime Apes when they go in for the attack. 

They won't attack you at all and once one Prime Ape dies, just jump into the fray and get it's loot. The Prime Apes will scatter. 

This however could be nerfed by Klei through the course of EA, as people have stated that this method is too exploitable but for now it's technically still part of the game. Up to you if you wish to dabble in it. I hope that helps, cheers. 

4 hours ago, Zillvr said:

Aside from the things mentioned above, have you considered a Prime Ape massacre?

Feed two Prime Apes some banana and instruct them to attack another Prime Ape while there are a bunch of Prime Apes around. You can hold CTRL then clicking another Prime Ape that is not directly beside you, then move away before your attack executes and watch your befriended Prime Apes beat their chest which would indicate that they are going to do their attacking pattern. Be sure to distance yourself from your befriended Prime Apes when they go in for the attack. 

They won't attack you at all and once one Prime Ape dies, just jump into the fray and get it's loot. The Prime Apes will scatter. 

This however could be nerfed by Klei through the course of EA, as people have stated that this method is too exploitable but for now it's technically still part of the game. Up to you if you wish to dabble in it. I hope that helps, cheers. 

It doesn't seem so effective anymore i tried doing that when i was farming the Tarnished Crown and at max i got 3 apes to die before i had to feed more apes with Bananas so i guess it got slightly Nerfed.

On Topic. I just tend to gather what i get food is stupidly easy to come by although the most i use are Limpets, Seaweed, Eggs (from Jungletrees) and Mussels. Sometimes i mix it up and make some trawlnets for Jellyfish and rarely a Wobster but really the later one seems very ineffective because of the very specific items you need to cook a proper meal with it.

Although Snakes are also a perfect foodsource plentyfull and easy to kill and with any good type of filler *cough cough* Icemaker 3000 *cough cough* you can make Meatballs for days.

8 hours ago, RabbitsMurderer said:

I can't seem to find a way to farm any food on this DLC, coconuts spawn palm treeguards really often and berries get taken off by wind, which forces me to keep moving and it's very hard due to the second season (Volcano I guess) ruining any fire I make, let alone the long nights.

I don't know but everything seems to plan to kill me starting from day 20, my longest was day 30.

So, what do you think?

Hello ,

I'm not playing "DS:SW" first of all but , you can go fishing or just get an crock-pod and get too monster meat to get meatballs (i can't rember the recipe ).  

@Mr.P Possible spoiler but in case you didn't know and rather not know this snippet of information about Jellyfish I'll enclose it in a spoiler.

Spoiler

You can catch Jellyfish with Bug Nets. Cheaper rope requirements compared to the Trawl Net. It's a good option if you have a steady supply of Silk.

Cheers.

Just now, Zillvr said:

@Mr.P Possible spoiler but in case you didn't know and rather not know this snippet of information about Jellyfish I'll enclose it in a spoiler.

Hide contents

You can catch Jellyfish with Bug Nets. Cheaper rope requirements compared to the Trawl Net. It's a good option if you have a steady supply of Silk.

Cheers.

Ohh i know that but i rather use the Trawlnet because as you said it doesn't need Silk (what i always have trouble getting) and i can also gather some other stuff while saling around like extra Tools. Also i think there is really no reason to use the Net over the Trawlnet since both catch about the same amount of Jellys and i run less risks when i gather the materials for a Trawlnet (because i don't have to deal with Spiders).

The only time i use the Net over the Trawlnet is when i play Webber cause i got enought Silk as him anyway.

7 minutes ago, Richardgaming said:

Hello ,

I'm not playing "DS:SW" first of all but , you can go fishing or just get an crock-pod and get too monster meat to get meatballs (i can't rember the recipe ).  

Meatballs is always the same 1 piece of meat (i think even Morsel is enought) and 3 fillers (can be Ice can be Berrys just don't use Sticks or that makes Kabobs).

My character is vegetarian and can survive quite easely like this:

1) Smash down monkey huts to get bananas and manure. Keep the manure to make farms at your camp. You can give bananas to monkeys so they'll give you back what they stole in return.

2) Take berry bushes and plant them near your camp! If you have some manure left, make buckets of poop to fertilize your bushes. Bone shards are easy to get in SW.

3) If you find a beehive, keep its location in mind. When you have a bug net, come back, catch 4 bees, destroy the hive, and build a bee box near your camp. Not too close tho, as bees are hostile during monsoon.

All of these are easy to find and to craft. With 4 fams, 2 bee boxes, and 10 berry bushes, I never run out of food. If you can make a bird cage, you can start farming pumpkins and dragon fruits for cookies and pies.

Because you don't have to fish, it greatly increases survivability, as you won't spawn sea hounds at all.

10 hours ago, RabbitsMurderer said:

So, what do you think?

Mmmmmm... Judging by your post, I think you have more a camp setup problem than a food problem.

To set up a good camp, you first need a good location. Personnally, I try to settle on an island with a beach biome (in order to have access to easy limpets, crabs, grass and twigs) and a jungle biome (jungle trees do not spawn treeguards yet, plus easy bamboo and vines).

Once you've found your spot, go find some gold : eight are necessary to build the most basic utilities : first, a science machine (1), then an alchemy engine (4). Once the alchemy engine is built, destroy your science machine and use the gold nugget with 3 other to build a lightning rod (4). Of course, you'll need more gold to build other utilities (ice box, icemaker 3000, flingomatic, rainometer, etc...), but we're not here yet.

The next thing you'll need to do before the Hurricane season is to build a Chimnea, which is basically a windproof and waterproof firepit, a Crockpot, which will allow you to cook advanced meal (Try 1 Monster Meat + 3 Veggies/Eggs or Fruits that are not Durians, for example) and a Palm Leaf Hut which will protect you from rain when you are in your camp.

Afterwards, grab 10 berry bushes and plant them on jungle turf next to your base. To fertilize them, feed Wildbores somes fruits or, better, find the Mangrove where Oxes live and get as many manure as possible (ideally a stack of 20).

Once you've done this, you should be close to day 20 and ready to welcome the Hurricane season. If you want you can build some walls, but that's not really necessary. Try however to protect your base by replacing the soil by Wooden Turf.

Hoping this will help you :)

I'm going to reput my monkey farm that i explained in another topic.

Build 6 monkey huts, put 3 chests, 2 close to the huts, one a bit further with a monkey balls inside them. Place a lot of tooth traps  around the chest "far" from the monkeys.

How to farm:

1- get on the opposite side of the traps,

2- hit a monkey to make them escape in the direction of the traps, Do not push them too far as they would escape the attraction of the silly balls. 

3- Collect and reset traps

--> ~20~24 morsels and bananas can be collected each time that way

--> no unwanted summon of krampus

--> faster than running after them or killing them one by one

--> Can also be used as a defense against hounds (in that case put a flingomatic or two for summer hounds)

2016-02-03_00001.jpg

2016-02-03_00002.jpg

13 hours ago, Zillvr said:

Reveal hidden contents

Cheers.

Jellyfish aren't exactly hard to kill for free though. Just whack them twice with a spear and cook them up. Cooked jellyfish give you more than the HP it cost to smack them as well as some nice hunger. Maybe your method is better though, I just always seem to struggle to have enough silk for everything I want.

@SirBuizelton true, but I only mentioned that snippet of information because the person I replied to in that post was talking about using Trawl Nets. Thereby letting them know of another option with regards to getting live jellyfish which what Trawl Nets do.

Killing them is the cheapest way for food. Eitherway, there are more food options in SW. Just gotta look in the right places. Cheers.

Archived