Are sandbags supposed to not work??

Because mine flat out don't. I posted an image of it earlier with a separate base but now I'm playing on a different file to test out wilbur and during monsoon season floods legitimately go straight through my sandbags as if they don't exist. Am I the only one with this issue? Is it supposed to be this way? I'm so confused and frustrated because I put a lot of work into trying to make my base waterproof TWICE and the game is just like "nope"

Hey @SirBuizelton written below is what I posted about flooding in another thread

As stated by FooBargle (member of Capy) in this post "...floods shouldn't spawn on top of flooring any more but they are still able to spread onto it." So sandbagging the puddles is still required when they form outside your base, but if your base has player-crafted flooring then no puddles should spawn inside your base or under your prebuilt structures which hopefully you built on top of those player-crafted floors.

To sandbag mechanics didn't change in the latest update. So sandbags still works the same way the did previously. To block flooding, you have to place the sandbags directly on top of the water/puddle/flood tile to remove it and stop it from spreading. Placing a sandbag down in a non-flooded tile will not block future flood propagation.

This can however change through the course of EA. I hope that helps, cheers.

I don't quite agree with the sandbag mechanics and honestly don't think they make sense, but think of sandbags more as a sponge: You place it on top of a puddle to absorb the water and stop it from spreading. A wall of sandbags will basically do nothing if the puddle is spreading towards it..

Like so:

3NNJKnx.jpg

Flooring = stops puddles from spawning where you don't want them

Sandbags = stops puddles from spreading when they have already spawned.

1 hour ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

I don't quite agree with the sandbag mechanics and honestly don't think they make sense, but think of sandbags more as a sponge: You place it on top of a puddle to absorb the water and stop it from spreading. A wall of sandbags will basically do nothing if the puddle is spreading towards it..

Like so:

3NNJKnx.jpg

Flooring = stops puddles from spawning where you don't want them

Sandbags = stops puddles from spreading when they have already spawned.

That is very strange, but whatever. I'll do it if it means I don't have to muck around in misery and rebuild all my machines just because a season happened, although at this point, I'm fairly determined to just cover my entire freaking island with flooring and be done with the issue. Thanks for the help! ^^

3 hours ago, Zillvr said:

Hey @SirBuizelton written below is what I posted about flooding in another thread

As stated by FooBargle (member of Capy) in this post "...floods shouldn't spawn on top of flooring any more but they are still able to spread onto it." So sandbagging the puddles is still required when they form outside your base, but if your base has player-crafted flooring then no puddles should spawn inside your base or under your prebuilt structures which hopefully you built on top of those player-crafted floors.

To sandbag mechanics didn't change in the latest update. So sandbags still works the same way the did previously. To block flooding, you have to place the sandbags directly on top of the water/puddle/flood tile to remove it and stop it from spreading. Placing a sandbag down in a non-flooded tile will not block future flood propagation.

This can however change through the course of EA. I hope that helps, cheers.

Gah, I still think it's a really, REALLY unintuitive way for it to work, but alright, I'll give it a go from now on. I thought they went on record saying that the way sandbags work right now is not how they intended and they planned on changing it but either I'm not remembering right or they haven't gotten around to it yet. For some reason I assumed they did work on it since they addressed the flooring thing, (which is great by the way!) but in any case thanks for the help man, cheers. 

@SapphireBullets if Klei didn't change anything with the how the monsoon season works the answer is yes, the starting point for all flood puddles are in new places every monsoon season. It is a hassle but with the added feature for floors to restrict flood from forming on top of them reduces the hassle somewhat. Cheers.

Archived