Question about starting with mods

Hawk2zer0

Hello all, 

I've been interested in starting to create a mod for DS (and/or DST), but wanted to get an opinion on which way to start out. I've been exposed to programming about 3-4 years and am about finished with a degree in it (So familiarity with coding and coding principles isn't something that is much of a concern to me). Art isn't a concern for me either (Animation degree [dual major] as well - I'm killing myself in college). So now to the simple question of the day... 

Which one of these two routes would be a good starting point: (Modding a character or Modding a mob)? My assumption is that the character would be easier since there wouldn't be much concern for "brains" since characters rely mostly on human input. 

I have ideas for both (To be honest, roughly 5-6 characters and 2-3 mobs). So I definitely won't have issues thinking of what to make. I'm just curious to hear from you all with past experiences about which would be a good starting point. 

Thanks all,

-Hawk2zer0

• Developer

Hey there @Hawk2zer0, welcome to the forums!

I believe that starting by making a character would be the best thing to do, and then proceed to make a mod.

By the way, this tutorial covers all the basics about character-making:

And later, for modding mobs, you'll find a link to the Steam tutoriala here:

And remember to share your mods with the community once they're done :)

(If you so feel like it :p )

You got a degree in programming? Are you aware of the fact that DS modding involves almost exclusively Lua? Because if not, that may change your mind...

If you're fine with that, then great! Make good use of Multi-file searching, because there's almost no API documentation other than tutorials created by others! and that website we usually don't talk about

Feel free to seek support when in doubt. Good luck and enjoy your "stay"!

3 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

You got a degree in programming? Are you aware of the fact that DS modding involves almost exclusively Lua? Because if not, that may change your mind...

If you're fine with that, then great! Make good use of Multi-file searching, because there's almost no API documentation other than tutorials created by others! and that website we usually don't talk about

Feel free to seek support when in doubt. Good luck and enjoy your "stay"!

Almost have it (roughly 5 courses left...) I read up a bit on Lua, still looking more into it as well as getting to understand DS's system (engine for those that prefer it called that way). I've done most of my stuff in C++ and C#, but I don't mind that its mainly in Lua - it'll be nice to expand on my languages that I can work with anyway. Languages are nice in that as long as you understand its concepts, syntax isn't really a big deal. 

That's one of the things I do like about this kind of stuff, sometimes it all comes down to what you can learn with tinkering with something. I'll more than likely be spending a lot of time looking through the few mods I have installed and seeing how various people have set things up. 

-Hawk2zer0

8 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Hey there @Hawk2zer0, welcome to the forums!

I believe that starting by making a character would be the best thing to do, and then proceed to make a mod.

By the way, this tutorial covers all the basics about character-making:

And later, for modding mobs, you'll find a link to the Steam tutoriala here:

And remember to share your mods with the community once they're done :)

(If you so feel like it :p )

I have looked through these. Definitely fantastic for starting points. I've worked a little with the mob tutorial they have up on the workshop, and it didn't seem too bad. The only downside is how different my mobs I have planned are. 

I'll share them definitely. So they'll be up when they're ready :p

-Hawk2zer0

I Recommending to start with character if you have that thing to draw with (like drawing on a paper) .

but ahm based on you modding an character or an making an MOD could be almost the same amount of time , because with character you draw almost everything and with an mod you code ...

anyway choose what you want :)

22 minutes ago, Richardgaming said:

I recommending to start with character if you have a drawing tablet.

but ahm based on you modding an character or an making a creature could be almost the same amount of time , because with character you draw almost everything and with a creature you code ...

anyway choose what you want :)

I tried to clarify your post...

The main reason making a character over a creature is that characters don't require brain/stategraph entanglemess, nor new animations. Both require some form of imagery.

Archived