Just found the perfect base island.

Please people stop saying that monkeys are bad. Just give them a banana and not only they'll stop stealing stuff but they will also throw at you everything they stole so far. Also the silly monkey ball is very effective and rather cheap to make.

Concerning your island, with the nerf of limpets, it's not as interesting now as it was before.

10 minutes ago, Donax said:

Please people stop saying that monkeys are bad. Just give them a banana and not only they'll stop stealing stuff but they will also throw at you everything they stole so far. Also the silly monkey ball is very effective and rather cheap to make.

Concerning your island, with the nerf of limpets, it's not as interesting now as it was before.

I didn't know that about the monkeys..

Also, what do you mean by the nerf of limpets? can you tell me more?

I honestly like to have a swamp on my primary base island, preferably with some fishermerms. It's also very nice to have a large coral reef nearby, maybe a mangrove tree biome as well. Other really nice things to have near it: Brainy stems, Yaarctopus, (even though I've found literally only one yaarctopus ever since I started playing this dlc, it's kind of ridiculous.) the volcano, and a tiny island with nothing particularly valuable on it that you can plop DoyDoys on so they can roam freely and make plenty of nests in safety without monsters like snakes destroying them.

2 hours ago, DwerBomb said:

Limpet rocks now get withered in dry season, and need to be fertilised with seaweed. Not that big of a nerf though

The big nerf is that they do not count as meat nor fish anymore. Therefore you cannot do meatball or surf n turf with them. So if you are in an island with lots of limpets but no snakes you might have some trouble to use them.

2 hours ago, Donax said:

The big nerf is that they do not count as meat nor fish anymore. Therefore you cannot do meatball or surf n turf with them. So if you are in an island with lots of limpets but no snakes you might have some trouble to use them.

Ooh right, yeah 

5 hours ago, Donax said:

They don't count as meat but they still count as fish, just with a lower value.

I agree on the swamp, especially if there are fishermerms. I'm remodeling one now, replacing all the turf with jungle, which is a pain but worth it now that limpets won't make surf & turf. But why do people like mangroves? They've got nothing much in them and you can't build or plant there. 

Not a bad island. It's got a nice shape as well. A shoe and bit of the leg.

I've found an exelent one recently as well. It's a paradise!

8 pig huts

30+ Berry bushes

1 rez  stone

water beefalo in a large mangrove biome.

scull setpiece(I set up camp on the nose)

, tiny inner pond close to scull (I'll eventually move a few beef along here if possible.)  

3 monkey huts(they are a decent distance away from my main Base now after clearing a few closer ones out)

2 spider dens

Plenty of jungle, beach and all their associated resources.

a little corner of swamp but no merms, just a few poison holes, reeds and pools.

Coral reef  and 4 Wobster dens. Plenty of molluscs, some seaweed.

There's a beachy island a few screens away for doydoys(found 1 so far.) 

The slot machine is just a few screens and a fog wall away.

I have barely left the island since finding it. I'm too busy sorting out resources to explore. The only time I left was to follow a treasure map and on the way to the x I found another bottle message which showed a new x right by my Base XD. I'll get a screenshot got when I can. 

2 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

I agree on the swamp, especially if there are fishermerms. I'm remodeling one now, replacing all the turf with jungle, which is a pain but worth it now that limpets won't make surf & turf. But why do people like mangroves? They've got nothing much in them and you can't build or plant there. 

I just like them because they're a convenient source of wood and sticks that take no effort to plant/replant and they grow back pretty fast too. Maybe it's not as time-efficient as I think, but it certainly feels like it. I also can appreciate not having to deal with the chance of a poisonous snake spawn in the thick of a jungle tree farm or the risk of a million palm treeguards showing up every time I chop down a palm tree in a dense farm. Also there's lots of grass around too, I just feel like they're a nice place earlygame to get all the basic things you need, plus sometimes you have water beefalow and shoals, which are great!

I found a even better island.

b2guzxu4xsuw2gxzg.jpg

all this biomes are accessible by foot.

12 limpet rocks (I dont value them too high, because of the big nerf, but i actually never did before either, because crabs just always worked for SnT. I appreciate the minerals though. :P)

5 spider dens (not a biggie because they can be moved and more than 3 nearby are just too much.)

13 ponds (quantity doesn't really matter. what matters to me is having a high number of them relatively close by to allow night fishing.)

1 prime ape den (I actually like having it around. Who says no to free poop, right?)

3 beehives (might keep the 2 in the left grass biome for stinger farming and turn the other one to a beebox.)

8 berrybushs (not a biggie to me either, because there's always better food than raw berries or meatballs. I take them as a self sustaining supply of fertilizer and emergency food if needed.)

31 reeds (take them. It can't hurt to have a few of them for night armors or floral shirts)

seaworthy (probably the most awesome thing to have on this island. Now the transmission needs to be fixed so it actually keeps the world count after jumping to RoG.)

I'll most likely make my base right inside the small swamp biome and fish there on the ponds for SurfnTurf's, as that's now the most reliable way to make this dish. It would also work if you would add the dogfish, limpets/mussel/crab and the 2 monstermeat, but that's not really reliable because dogfishs are expensive to kill and i hate having the waters infested with clockworks. It's not that they're hard to deal with but its just annoying because you waste durability on them for gears which you'll end up feeding to your lureplants at some point.

the alternative to SnT would be seafood gumbo which you can easily make from 1 jellyfish + any 3 of the nerfed fish food items, but that seems to take more affords for a food item which is not all that good like SnT on the sanity.

It's a nice island,but one day i found a perfect island,it was a giant island filled with resources,had 4 biomes on it,a giant coral reef next to it with lots of seaweeds and 3 brainy sprout,plus the skull setpiece...

sadly i died for a Palm Guardian because of his stupid range

On 2/6/2016 at 6:35 AM, Donax said:

I too am in the recent camp of 'monkeys are not the enemy!'  They used to irritate the hell out of me but as with everything in DS... you can find a way to make them work for you!  

I too am in the camp of liking to find mangroves and/or swamps on a base camp island along with the forest and beach... coral reef close by is very useful although I do go out on treks and stock up so that is not always a big issue, mangroves are important for the beefalo equivalent in DSS, but if I have a good camp with plenty of berries, then I use those to rot down to use as fertilizer 

Archived