Trade Inn Incoming

• Developer

Thanks a ton for everyone's feedback regarding the Trade Inn and our Collection system! Over the last few months we've learned a ton about the item system, both through watching people interact with the system and from great discussion such as this thread. The following is where we're currently at.

First, we're seeing a lot of trading of items, and that's great! However, the value of the items is quite obtuse, and it's creating an arbitrage market. While this is mostly fine, we're seeing a select few people profiting off a lack of general knowledge regarding the value of their items. In order to show everyone what the real value of their items are, we are turning on marketability. This will have side effects such as a volatile market, and it's possible certain items will become far too expensive. We believe the market will level out over time, and players pricing items at extreme prices will find their items not selling. Many of the comments we've received are exactly about these concerns, and I want to assure you we will be watching it carefully and adjusting as we go.

For those who do not want to interact with the market, we're releasing the Trade Inn. Using the Trade Inn, you'll be able to upgrade your items by trading in lower tiered items. In addition, based on feedback, we're making two changes -- you'll be able to upgrade up to Distinguished items (up from Spiffy as previously designed), and every trade-in will have a chance for a bigger upgrade, giving you more chances to get rarer items, including Elegants. 

Both of these changes will go live mid-late next week, with the Trade Inn going into a beta branch to iron out any bugs first. In addition, the team has been working hard on getting Caves to be hosted without a dedicated server, and that should also go live at the same time. 

As with the entire game, we care a lot about the experience of getting items, and this is an evolving system for us. Our goal is to create a system that is interesting to interact with, both individually and as a community, and that is still our primary focus. You can expect that we'll be watching the trades closely, and that we will be regularly releasing new items and features for the foreseeable future.

Thanks a ton for your feedback and support!

1 hour ago, Bigfoot said:

you'll be able to upgrade up to Distinguished items (up from Spiffy as previously designed), and every trade-in will have a chance for a bigger upgrade, giving you more chances to get rarer items, including Elegants. 

I love you. <3

1 hour ago, Bigfoot said:

In addition, the team has been working hard on getting Caves to be hosted without a dedicated server, and that should also go live at the same time. 

Finally, me and my friends were waiting for this since forever :D

6 minutes ago, JohaneBrote said:

Will it still take 9 lower tier items to get a higher tier item or was that revised as well?

Yeah, 729 common items seems like a lot for 1 distinguished, so hopefully that's not how this ends up. Maybe something like... 5? 125 seems a LOT better than 729.

• Developer
1 minute ago, JohaneBrote said:

Will it still take 9 lower tier items to get a higher tier item or was that revised as well?

We're currently keeping with 9 in order to not change everything at once, but we will be adjusting as we go along. For example, we may find that adding additional drops is the correct way to balance the system. We'd like to take a look at how it goes first.

12 minutes ago, MycoLogical said:

When does it go live Mr. Bigfoot?

Mid-late next week all of this should go live!

27 minutes ago, Weirdobob said:

Yeah, 729 common items seems like a lot for 1 distinguished, so hopefully that's not how this ends up. Maybe something like... 5? 125 seems a LOT better than 729.

even then is a bit ridiculous! imagine only getting commons due to bad luck... it'd take many many months to get anything you are actually wanting ;-;

Hopefully it scales down with value! ^-^

EDIT: I just got ninja'd by Bigfoot... D: xD

15 minutes ago, alainmcd said:

Do you plan to have exclusives, time-limited or otherwise? Will the RoG gift be a skin? If so, limited to purchases up to a certain date, tradable, marketable?

I really don't want this to turn into TF2... Hey why not by a Cocktail Dress? Only 1.29 USD?

Get the GoH Bundle; $10.99 and we will throw in a unique skin for the Hammer?

Buy the Dapper Bundle; 15 Commons, 7 Spiffy, 3 Elegant and a special chance of a GoH; only $20.50!

1 minute ago, MycoLogical said:

I really don't want this to turn into TF2... Hey why not by a Cocktail Dress? Only 1.29 USD?

Get the GoH Bundle; $10.99 and we will throw in a unique skin for the Hammer?

Buy the Dapper Bundle; 15 Commons, 7 Spiffy, 3 Elegant and a special chance of a GoH; only $20.50!

he wasn't talking about sold items but rather limited time items... if the RoG gift is actually a skin of some sort then that'd be considered a limited time item and people who missed out on that want access to it so it'd be nice if said limited time items were still tradable! :)

The Gibly Ghostus, a new top-hat skin awarded to all people the first time they die, so they can wear their failure around proudly.

Special Effect: The ghost dangling from the hat will resemble your character's ghost.

47 minutes ago, Fidooop said:

Will we also be able to trade commons for other commons? Like say 2 commons for 1 common from the Inn?

Actually I am also interested to know this. But from what Bigfoot said, it seems that it is not supported by Trade Inn.

17 minutes ago, Fidooop said:

he wasn't talking about sold items but rather limited time items... if the RoG gift is actually a skin of some sort then that'd be considered a limited time item and people who missed out on that want access to it so it'd be nice if said limited time items were still tradable! :)

I was asking about any limited items, be it time-limited, humble bundle, or anything you can think of. Few people openly say they like those, but those who do want them are usually willing to pay. Regarding the RoG gift, I'd rather if it's non tradable and non marketable, but given to everyone who buys RoG, regardless of date.

Archived