Surf 'n' Turf rebalance.

I think I'm not the only one who has noticed that this food is overpowered. It heals or 60 health and 33 sanity which is among the highest of the game while being able to utilise almost every foods in Shipwrecked (since most foods in shipwrecked are fish and/or meat). Because it has a higher priority than monster meat, it also removes any use for the Monster Lasagna recipe (which was originally introduced because Monster Meat was too easy to use).

My suggestion would be to lower the recipe's priority to 10 (same as Monster lasagna) and increase its meat requirement from 2.5 meat to 3.0 meat. This means players would need to acquire one big non-monster meat to cook it safely, by farming Wildbore, Werepig, Water Buffalo or DoyDoy or by drying Raw Fish, DogFish or Swordfish on a drying rack. It means morsel and drumstick can couldn't be used in it since they would don't have enough meat value. Jelly fish couldn't be used because it doesn't have any meat value. Shark fin would also be disallowed since Shark Fin Soup would have a higher priority. Basically, in term of gameplay, it would change the recipe from low cost high reward to moderate cost high reward, which is more typical of recipes in the base game such as Honeyed Ham or Meat Stew. Interestingly, it also means once Shipwrecked is merged with the base world it would make it obligatory to go to the peninsula to cook this recipe since vanilla fish only has 0.5 fish value. Without the change it's possible to reach the requirements with 1 monster meats and 3 vanilla fish.

Even in term of aesthetics it makes more sense. With a requirement of 3.0 meats, almost every configurations possible requires 2 big meats and 2 fish ingredients created a sort of symmetry between "surf" and "turf". The only exception is if Wobster is used in which case all other spots must be filled with big meat.

On 24/4/2016 at 9:41 AM, DeathWingOP said:

Are you ignoring the meatballs which is broken like really 1 morsel 3 berries or 1 monster meat and 3 berries or even 1 morsel and 3 ice like wat and there are other health alternatives like bacon and eggs... 

Pretty sure the recipe was updated since this post. You use to be able to make Surf 'n' Turf with 3 Limpets + 1 Monster Meat which was truly broken. I agree that Ice Meatballs are OP but it is a Hunger recipe so not the same objective as Surf 'n' Turf.

I think the actual Surf 'n' Turf recipe is fine since you need to acquire at least one full fish. The stats are still a bit high though, 60 Health should be only for rare food (using Butter or Wobster).

On 4/28/2016 at 10:53 AM, Kuirem said:

Pretty sure the recipe was updated since this post. You use to be able to make Surf 'n' Turf with 3 Limpets + 1 Monster Meat which was truly broken. I agree that Ice Meatballs are OP but it is a Hunger recipe so not the same objective as Surf 'n' Turf.

I think the actual Surf 'n' Turf recipe is fine since you need to acquire at least one full fish. The stats are still a bit high though, 60 Health should be only for rare food (using Butter or Wobster).

I guess but i wasnt aware it was nerfed before that post but still I love bacon and eggs and Pirogies but again you dont get much hunger but yeah i see what you mean but other health stuff isnt all that hard to get like trail mix bacon and eggs or perogies but i know what you mean

@h4mm4rm4n the recipe with 3 fish + Monster Meat should work just fine but you need to use fish and not limpets or Mussel. For the recipe you need 2.5 Meat and 1.5 Fish, the easiest way to make it in SW is probably : 2 Monster Meat + 1 Tropical Fish/Raw Fish + 1 Limpets. You can get Tropical Fish from Fishermerm or fishing yourself into Ponds/Shoal.

Also I believe that you can only make Surf 'n' Turf in SW, I do not think it is available in RoG so you will need to bring your fish through the Seaworthy.

Archived