Mena's Random Arts of Stuff and Things

MenaAthena

2 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Is Lena your blond counterpart?

Kinda? It's a little bit of a long story, actually, but I'm gonna try to tell it anyway.

Y'see, my forum persona used to be a character of mine named Athena (although for simplicity's sake she was referred to as Mena, since she was supposed to be basically me with a sightly different look and super powers (She wasn't supposed to be blonde at first, but that's another story and I'm getting off track here)). One day, through status update shenanigans, I accidentally created Lena. She's basically a shapeshifter accidentally created in an attempt to clone Athena that just happens to prefer taking the form of her with cat ears and a tail. Believe it or not, she was supposed to be slightly unnerving at first, with an extremely long tongue, the ability to regurgitate on command, slit pupils and eyes that blinked out of sink. She still has the first two of those quirks, they've just been toned down a lot as she slowly evolved into a cuteness fest.

Eventually I dropped the old persona in favor of one that is actually pretty much me, but Lena kept her look.

Mena's Official Art Stream dangit-I-lost-count-already.0, aka "The 4-Color Challenge!!!!!!!!!1!!!!11!!!"

https://join.me/529-203-465

Okay, so quick-ish rundown, I wanted to try using an odd color palette, but I wasn't sure which colors to use or what to draw. So I showed some peeps in Skype a set of palettes I found on Google 'n @InDenial picked one, giving me the prompt to draw something sad. So that's what I'm doing. Ta-da.

The only guidelines I have for myself is that I can sketch things out in black, but the finished piece will only have the four colors chosen and any colors I happen to make by combining those.

As just a heads up though, I'm going to have to go get ready to bed in, like, an hour and a half, so it's a relatively short stream and I probably won't even finish the drawing.

Done for the night. Might continue tomorrow, but I'm not making any promises.

I wrote some lore? Not sure if it's lore exactly; it isn't intrical to the character's back story or, well, character, but it's an event that canonically happened in the character's past. It's a canonical short story, I suppose.

So yeah.

Here it is.

In spoiler cause it's a lil big. Also thanks to @Battal and @Zeklo for proof reading.

Spoiler

Wilhelmina's life has been filled with a lot of ups and downs, perhaps more downs than most. There have been cruel people who've impacted her greatly, but also some kind ones. These people, along with most people in general save one exception, tended not to stay in her life for long. One of the more notable ones was a young man who, on the winter of her first year of freedom, found Mina huddled and freezing to death next to the trash cans beside his house.

It was lucky this young man happened to have experience working as a nurse and he was able to help her quickly. However, first introductions didn't exactly go smoothly once Mina awoke. For one she woke up screaming like she was being stabbed, and the realization of being inside a house with another human being did nothing to relieve her given her past experience. Sure it was with only one man and one house, but to be fair, she didn't have much else to go on at the time. 

The panic and confusion that ensued on both sides was interrupted by a timer and the smell of boiled noodles and flavor packets. 

Though Mina was still very much on guard, she was also very much hungry, and so settled for tensely watching from behind the couch as the young man finished fixing whatever it was that smelled so good. A moment later the man set a bowl of ramen down, as Mina wasn't letting him get anywhere near her, and went to the other side of the room to eat his own. It was some of the best food she'd ever had.

Things went slowly from there. The man warned against her going back outside in this weather, but she was not at all receptive to the idea of staying "trapped" inside the house for any extended period of time. So after a bit of persuasion, patience, instant hot cocoa and more noodles, the man left and came back with some winter clothing for her. Now she could come and go as she pleased, and she did come back. It was pretty much the only place she could go that was warm, reliable for food and water, and occupied by a person that she didn't exactly trust, but had shown he was less likely to try to hurt her more everyone else who she did not know. 

A few days passed, and the young man quickly realized he was not fit to care for this child. Though he worked long hours, he didn't earn enough to support two people for much longer. The winter clothing had been one of his biggest splurges in months. On top of that, numerous behavioral and physical signs pointed toward Mina's mental fragility. She flipped back and forth between different emotions and behaviors in an instant. She slept in short bursts, often times snapping back to consciousness in a panic. There had been several incidents that nearly hurt both of them, including a violent outburst with a knife he hadn't known she had, but refused to give up even afterwards. She desperately needed help and support that he could not give her. And so, with the best intentions at heart, the young man decided to place her in a mental ward.

Any attempts to coax her into the confined space of a car had been fruitless, so he had to call and arrange for someone to come pick her up. He was ensured they'd do their best to help her and transfer her to the adoption agency to find a good home once she was well. Two strangers showed up on the front step the next day to take her, and when persuasion did not work, they attempted to restrain her, to drag her away.

She ran.

She ran and she did not come back.

Even to this day Mina still loves ramen noodles.

I believe the greatest doodle is creating something that's equally space-filling, filling up the entirety of the page with an equal density of curls, strokes, and splashes, and is made of the either a single continuous line or paltry few bunches of lines.

This is one of those doodles. It's like those wood-cut images things.

Just now, InDenial said:

filling up the entirety of the page with an equal density of curls

I disagree, in my opinion good artworks (including doodles) have clear points of interest, spots one always looks at first. With lines, you can easily achieve this with line thickness or tight spacing. In this case, the thick lines of the shrubbery thing actually are more noticable, but the detailed, dense tree trunk immediately takes the attention. This order of inspection can be very effective, as it determines how the viewer understands the items at first.

e.g. Seeing a crazy-looking person first, then a knive, one would think the person is an insane murderer. In reverse order (first knive then person), the person may be understood as a bystander, attempting to cope with the situation for vain.

If everything were "equal", there could be a number of ways one may interpret the artwork. In my opinion, a good artwork conveys a specific emotion or concept (not limited to visual art!).

Lenamallow.png

The first one I drew because I wanted to draw a cute blob of some sort, and then the second one came about when I wanted to see if I could completely change the tone with some dramatic lighting and a few tweaks to the eyes. The third one is Oreo flavored @Weirdobob requested, wanting one modeled after a cat from his favorite mobile game.

Archived