Shipwrecked Roadmap

• Developer

It’s the new year and we’re back to work! First of all, I want to thank everyone who has been playing shipwrecked and participating in the forums since we launched on December 1st. We have all been very busy since launch but, while we may not always be posting, I promise we’re always reading the forums!

swroadmap.png

I’m going to share a rough outline of our plans for Shipwrecked in the coming months. We’re aiming to release an update around every 3 weeks, with the next update being scheduled for the middle of January and the final update being at the end of February. After that there will be an update dedicated entirely to bug fixes and balance changes. Of course, it should be noted that all of these times are just estimates of our schedule and may very well change (as they often do).

Here’s a rough idea of what you can expect to see in these content updates. 

Characters:

In the December 17th update we released Walani, but we still have three more characters to go!

Bosses:

The world in shipwrecked has a noticeable absence of large creatures. Right now, we have three new bosses planned for shipwrecked: the Tiger Shark and two other yet to be named horrors.

Balance Changes:

This will arguably have the biggest impact. We are aware that there are many balance changes that need to be made and we will be tackling them during these updates by turning the dials behind the scenes and adding additional content to help deal with the new challenges in Shipwrecked.

This game takes a long time to play, and you will encounter different scenarios each time you play. Players constantly encounter situations that we never even imagined. Because of this, when we add new content to Don’t Starve the initial tuning is, for the most part, our best guess on what will play well. Your feedback on these new systems is worth its weight in gold (how much does text on the internet weigh?) when we adjust the tuning of systems as it allows us to make much more informed decisions than we would otherwise be able to make. 

Among other issues, we’re still actively looking at the balance of key points like volcano eruptions, sharx, floods and poison.

World Changes:

As some of you have discovered by digging through the game files there is another biome that will be added to the game. We’re also going to be making more shipwrecked specific set pieces and world items to make the world feel even more like a deadly tropical archipelago.

Save Integration & World Migration:

The ability to move back and forth between RoG/ Vanilla worlds and Shipwrecked worlds is still coming! The transition will function similar to how caves work. Clicking on the portal will unload one world and load the next, transporting you and the items you’re carrying between worlds. This should be expected towards the end of the updates.

Bug Fixes:

There are certainly a lot of bugs right now, and we’ll be fixing them with each patch. Keep reporting them!

• Like 39

Bug Fixes:

There are certainly a lot of bugs right now, and we’ll be fixing them with each patch. Keep reporting them!

Allow me to help with that. I started up this thread to catalog bug fixes that I have made, and you're more than welcome to use my code and patches to get those problems corrected.

Anyone else, please post bugs there if you want me to take a look at them. I'm sure Klei and Capy would appreciate a helping hand. (-:

• Like 1

• Developer

Allow me to help with that. I started up this thread to catalog bug fixes that I have made, and you're more than welcome to use my code and patches to get those problems corrected.

Anyone else, please post bugs there if you want me to take a look at them. I'm sure Klei and Capy would appreciate a helping hand. (-:

I have definitely been reading that thread - good work & thanks for the help!

If you could cut out 1 or 2 of new characters and replace them with expanding some game mechanic (sanity) or some new (hostile) cratures with some new game mechanic that would be great.

I used all characters, none of them are really game changing.

Other than that its all cool.

There is already 573 characters mod in the workshop. Its one of most popular mod kind.

Edited by _Q_
  • Like 1

giphy.gif

Hehehe

Sadly wont work on me.

We have one tropical themed char now, and that is enough, no need for more, and what they could be?

Some reference to pirate of caraiben movie? Thanks, no need for that.

Fixing and improving game mechanics seems far more important to me than adding a moving sprite with new set of quotes.

• Developer

Hehehe

Sadly wont work on me.

We have one tropical themed char now, and that is enough, no need for more, and what they could be?

Fixing and improving game mechanics seems far more important to me than adding a moving sprite with new set of quotes.

I see your point, yeah.

And I had my hopes up for Walani's personality... and when I finally got my hand on her quotes... they were just so bland... I was kinda disappointed :/

• Like 1

Hehehe

Sadly wont work on me.

I hardly see why you would spit on more game content. Believe me character perks usually make a big difference, if you have the knowledge to know how to exploit them that is. For example WX is completely invincible; Wicker can mass farm items like no other, including things you wouldn't expect like blowdarts; Wolfgang can steamroll his enemies, but takes skill to play since his strengh comes with a cost; Wes is for challenge and base building with his balloons; it goes on. Maybe you haven't taken the time to experiment with them and check what other people came up with.

That is why Walani was such a disappointment. She's essentially a second Wilson and her on only real perks besides spawning with a board affect her stats in a kind of meaningless way; the same effect is achieved easily with any character, especially given the crock pot is so strong.

Which is even worse given Shipwrecked's true problem : There is nothing to do in the end game. Past day 100, you've seen all of it. Rog had more or less the same problem, but it had base building. In SW, weather conditions (Wind destroying structures ? Hail destroying walls ?) as well as the sheer lack of options (No telelocator staff, no gems items ? Those are only examples) makes it that you can barely get involved in a long term run and have fun when surviving is not a challenge anymore. If there wasn't this content in Reign of Giants, there's no way I would have built a 3500 days megabase. I would have lost interest long ago.

Shipwrecked needs all the content it can get. It cannot be stressed enough.

To sum it up, since we were talking about new characters, I really hope Klei isn't afraid of min-maxing the upcoming character perks in fear of breaking balance. They need traits that can be exploited in a context that isn't the first days of survivial. Characters that require involvement for good rewards are usually thes best ones. Balance can come later.

Now I will agree on something : This game is broken with bugs. SW even brought them to RoG, even for players that don't own both Dlcs. Things like sound files missing, or fireflies acting weird.

I love Klei, but I'm bummed to see that some major bugs remain; Life Giving Amulets can still erase your savefile, Rock Lobsters still overpopulate and there's no 100% failproof way to get rid of them permanently. I'd like to stress that the one known method to reliably kill a rock lobster also relies on a glitch. Even then, there's no guarantee the hoard won't come back when all are killed.

This is one thing. What I'm really disappointed about is that some of the bugs that get fixed are the one people were having fun with, glitches that took involvement to exploit.

Putting backpack in your inventory not being possible anymore really makes me sad, because it suppresses one very important end game scenario : hoarding ressources and world jumping a lot of times to generate new worlds. It was not broken in any way, as it took sincere dedication to clean a world from it's ressources (that most often included struggling in the ruins to mine the statues); it wasn't someone could just exploit right away. It was, in all scenarios, out of love for the game and the community, in an effort to make something worthwhile.

The people that know how to use game mechanics are also a large part of the ones that drive the community up. Without passionate players struggling to make the best out of the game, we probably wouldn't be where we are now.

This is why I ask you, Klei : Don't restrict the game's options, give it more

The ability to move back and forth between RoG/ Vanilla worlds and Shipwrecked worlds is still coming! The transition will function similar to how caves work. Clicking on the portal will unload one world and load the next, transporting you and the items you’re carrying between worlds. This should be expected towards the end of the updates.

@Bryce This would be the perfect opportunity to re-introduce a mechanic that was in DST, but that was removed due to the griefing capacity of dying alone on the surface of a world in Survivial mode : The ability to store items in a world, and regenerate the other. This would allow for us, players, to do significantly more in the later stages of the game.

I really hope my message comes through. I won't pretend my mouth is a fountain of truth; but sometimes, I feel like we more dedicated players are left out for new players and that there isn't much content to go around when one knows how to survive.

Edited by Hezel
  • Like 4

This is all very interesting. One thing I was hoping for, though. Bryce, will we be able to have Don't Starve: RoG-exclusive mobs spawn in Shipwrecked if we have both in config settings? Or biomes and stuff like that? If not, will there be a way to transport them (perhaps Telelocators in different worlds would be supported)? Because I would love to try to have a deadly fight with a Dragonfly in the middle of the Ocean, having it flying over the Ocean to chase after me and spitting fire (still in the ocean). That would be awesome, though a part of me is doubting it will happen. Do you have any thoughts on this?

I hardly see why you would spit on more game content. Believe me character perks usually make a big difference, if you have the knowledge to know how to exploit them that is. For example WX is completely invincible; Wicker can mass farm items like no other, including things you wouldn't expect like blowdarts; Wolfgang can steamroll his enemies, but takes skill to play since his strengh comes with a cost; Wes is for challenge and base building with his balloons; it goes on. Maybe you haven't taken the time to experiment with them and check what other people came up with.

That is why Walani was such a disappointment. She's essentially a second Wilson and her on only real perks besides spawning with a board affect her stats in a kind of meaningless way; the same effect is achieved easily with any character, especially given the crock pot is so strong.

Which is even worse given Shipwrecked's true problem : There is nothing to do in the end game. Past day 100, you've seen all of it. Rog had more or less the same problem, but it had base building. In SW, weather conditions (Wind destroying structures ? Hail destroying walls ?) as well as the sheer lack of options (No telelocator staff, no gems items ? Those are only examples) makes it that you can barely get involved in a long term run and have fun when surviving is not a challenge anymore. If there wasn't this content in Reign of Giants, there's no way I would have built a 3500 days megabase. I would have lost interest long ago.

Shipwrecked needs all the content it can get. It cannot be stressed enough.

To sum it up, since we were talking about new characters, I really hope Klei isn't afraid of min-maxing the upcoming character perks in fear of breaking balance. They need traits that can be exploited in a context that isn't the first days of survivial. Characters that require involvement for good rewards are usually thes best ones. Balance can come later.

Now I will agree on something : This game is broken with bugs. SW even brought them to RoG, even for players that don't own both Dlcs. Things like sound files missing, or fireflies acting weird.

I love Klei, but I'm bummed to see that some major bugs remain; Life Giving Amulets can still erase your savefile, Rock Lobsters still overpopulate and there's no 100% failproof way to get rid of them permanently. I'd like to stress that the one known method to reliably kill a rock lobster also relies on a glitch. Even then, there's no guarantee the hoard won't come back when all are killed.

This is one thing. What I'm really disappointed about is that some of the bugs that get fixed are the one people were having fun with, glitches that took involvement to exploit.

Putting backpack in your inventory not being possible anymore really makes me sad, because it suppresses one very important end game scenario : hoarding ressources and world jumping a lot of times to generate new worlds. It was not broken in any way, as it took sincere dedication to clean a world from it's ressources (that most often included struggling in the ruins to mine the statues); it wasn't someone could just exploit right away. It was, in all scenarios, out of love for the game and the community, in an effort to make something worthwhile.

The people that know how to use game mechanics are also a large part of the ones that drive the community up. Without passionate players struggling to make the best out of the game, we probably wouldn't be where we are now.

This is why I ask you, Klei : Don't restrict the game's options, give it more

@Bryce This would be the perfect opportunity to re-introduce a mechanic that was in DST, but that was removed due to the griefing capacity of dying alone on the surface of a world in Survivial mode : The ability to store items in a world, and regenerate the other. This would allow for us, players, to do significantly more in the later stages of the game.

I really hope my message comes through. I won't pretend my mouth is a fountain of truth; but sometimes, I feel like we more dedicated players are left out for new players and that there isn't much content to go around when one knows how to survive.

I don't see characters as game contnet, perks are not a big game changer in almost all cases, you still play the game almost the same way as with other character, the only thing that is different is that you need to get beard hairs somehow on onther characters, while the main char gets them for free.

So some new mobs or anything else that you can interact with in game world is far better than new character, or maybe some real end game content here and there.

• Like 1

The main things I want are the ocean to feel more unique(Someone offered currents, have A LOT of cool sea biomes, or at least enough to make a variety), cool creative things with islands(like someone suggested, terraforming would be interesting), maybe underwater gameplay(Could be implemented like the caves or function like a second floor to the obsidian caves, and be accessed with diving equipment. It has so much potential), better character perks(And maybe tweaks to Walani.) for the new characters and finally:

Some more lore. I am not sure if its confirmed there'll be a new adventure mode(though a lot of people are acting like there is), but having one can be nice.

But whatever you do, I trust it'll be great. 

• Like 2

The main things I want are the ocean to feel more unique(Someone offered currents, have A LOT of cool sea biomes, or at least enough to make a variety)

So much this. The boats and water could be such a magnificent part of the game, but right now they are mostly just empty space that you must traverse to get to various islands. We absolutely need more water-based biomes to make the game feel more full, or at least more stuff to do while on the seas like allowing us to plant buoys -- maybe we can attach some planks to the buoys to make drop stations or something. 

Maybe some dangerous coral reef biome where there's a possibility of capsizing your boat. An algae biome that hampers movement like the spider web does. Spooky wrecked ghost ship area that only reveals and allows you to combat the ghosts and ghost ships during full moons. 

• Like 4

So, not integration? Sad, sad.

It's save integration. It was never said things like RoG biomes would be in Shipwrecked.

I prefer non-integration, but for those that would like it, is modding possible? I know they will function as separately-generated worlds. I guess I'm looking at you @%1;

Following the BB Code guidelines and it's not working  :wilson_livid:

Edited by WillPwn4Food

Honestly, we just need a way to actually (and reliably!) prevent the flooding and volcanic eruptions (a la Ice Flingomatic). Prepared players should not be punished, especially since there is no way to prepare currently. Flooding needs to be more balanced and less random, possibly add a bucket item to scoop the water away, or a mop? Something that is the equivalent of water balloons in terms of an item that removes the hazard of the season.

I love this game I really do but I have some issues with it. Such as, it takes FOREVER to go from one island to another. And when you get there, there really isn't anything on the islands. So you end up spending five hours going from island to island getting supplies to make the simplest things.

I do love it when you "Fall off the map" though that was cool.