DragonMage's Drawing Pad

DragonMage156

I haven't been drawing as much as I'd like to have but here's some art that I have gotten done.

Here's @Ysulyan's character drawn in my dragon artstyle. Honestly I could have done better. Maybe I'll redraw it one day:

ysul_dragon_by_dragonmage156-da2vgox.jpg

Some dragon shippy fanart:

watching_the_sunset_by_dragonmage156-da2

Otto from WaW. Also can be used as a character reference without that hat, they others were old and crappy -_-

otto_the_pirate_otter_by_dragonmage156-d

And a meme I did:

art_vs_artist__am_i_doing_it_right___by_

Have I revealed my face here yet? Well now I have :)

I was thinking of adding this thread to my signature since a lot of people comment how they keep missing it. Also, should I start adding spoilers to keep this thread short, clean and easy to read?

Edited by DragonMage156
  • Like 14

Yay! Update in my non-DS art thread. Incase you didn't know, my DS related art will now be posted here. I guess I started that extra thread anyway :p

Ok moving on... Remember chibi Rhi? Well I draw him again :p

chibi_rhi_by_dragonmage156-da8tavh.jpg

@Ysulyan mentioned a while back that chibi Rhi looked smol enough to fit in someone's pocket. I had to draw it after that XD Oh and another innocent looking one. I think that one was if he sat on someone's head but instead I just draw Rhi.

Various moments I wanted to draw in WaW with Otto:

otto_sketches_by_dragonmage156-da8tava.j

(Special guest appearences: (Noctimus) @Youknowwho, (Crab) @wxps350).

Sad Dragon Mage:

sad_dm_by_dragonmage156-da8tq5t.jpg

Draw this when Ysul became too busy for Skype. However, I recided to go with a smol sad dragon instead. I'll use this for something else like... a sad scene in an RP? Lol idk *shrug*

For something to lighten the mood, Sunrider's Fabulous Pose!:

sunrider_s_fabulous_pose_by_dragonmage15

Feels good to draw Sunny again :) He's trying to replicate Ysulyan's fabulous pose on DA. Idk why I keep referencing that XD Sun has some work to do though (anthros version coming soon, maybe ;))

Look! I drew an Ori!:

ori_and_sein_by_dragonmage156-da8tauq.jp

First draw without a reference. I though Ori has paws for feet back then, not hooves. I found out the cold hard truth in my second playthrough (and Jackcepticeye's walkthrough. Don't worry, I finished the game before hand).

And now a couple things for @minespatch

minespatch_by_dragonmage156-da8tauj.jpg

minespatch_hug_by_dragonmage156-da8tq5x.

Second one's kinda a replay to the image he drew for me. Or... kinda what would have happened I reckon. Still need to work on my poses a little.

Hope you enjoyed this. Btw, the comic has been updated with part 4 incase you didn't know. Now I'm gonna go flop down somewhere and wait for this cold to go away :wilson_ill:

• Like 12

Art dump! Since there's only one DS piece, I'm not gonna post anything in my DS art thread today.

Lost Control (used base) :

lost_control__used_base__unpolished__by_

Basically what would happen if my necklace got destroyed and the dragon spirit was unleashed. Also, I was too lazy to add the shredded clothes and whatnot so enjoy this unpolished version.

Did a little funny DS Portal 2 quote thingy (probably won't finish it but it was fun to sketch :p ) :

when_life_give_you_lemons____by_dragonma

(Why does Portal 2 and DS work so well together? XD)

@Ysulyan requested an anthro version of Sunrider so I drew it :)

anthro_sunrider_by_dragonmage156-daair5r

(Might do another one, might not. It depends).

Drew some more Ori. I just find his anatomy unique and cute and fun to draw :)

ori_cliff_hanger_by_dragonmage156-daair6

(even added a bit of glow around his hands)

Beaten up Ori (In a spoiler just incase) :

Spoiler

first_time_playing_ori_by_dragonmage156-

When I first played, I died 668 times in total. I should not be the one to save Nibel XD I drew this pictures so well that it's actually bad.

I'm so sorry Ori!

i_m_so_sorry__ori__by_dragonmage156-daai

And some sketches (the top left is kinda a sequel to injured Ori. Bandage on the forehead, everything is magically healed :p  oh yeah and a Draco is there too)

ori___random_sketch_dump_by_dragonmage15

I drew my persona as a male:

genderbent_dragon_mage__a_redraw__by_dra

And because I'm shipping trash:

Spoiler

ysulmage_genderbend_by_dragonmage156-daa

More YsulMage (genderbent)

"There are many pretty girls here this evening but you are the most beautiful"

I have a feeling my genderbent persona is still a bit girly. I'll need to work on that.

Some more of my OC OTP:

dance_with_me_by_dragonmage156-daair34.j

And my first official drawing with Pink Squirrel:

leave_him_alone_by_dragonmage156-daair3g

Pink Squirrel (or Pinky. Idk, still trying to work out a good name) she's the rival of Fluffy cos what's a good love story without some drama huh? She's evil and will do anything in her power to win Red for herself. She is rather cold towards Fluffy and may even threaten her. Although, she isn't the first OC I've made and hated but that's a different story/universe.

Edited by DragonMage156
  • Like 9

What's that? Another art dump so soon? Ah yes but only 5 pictures this time.

If I were a Squirrel:

if_i_were_a_squirrel_by_dragonmage156-da

(This is an old abandoned school sketch sine before the end of semester 1 until recently. I couldn't be bothered to redraw this, hence the lined paper).

More Purple Squirrel (Still quite shy) :

purple_squirrel_by_dragonmage156-daaxhxo

Squirrel of Nature (Ysul-squirrel) :p

squirrel_of_nature_by_dragonmage156-daax

I'm sorry. He was just too cute, I couldn't help it ^u^

When Deerclops Destroys your Base:

when_deerclops_destroys_your_base__draw_

Finally coloured this after days of procrastinating -_- enjoy this Draw the Squad meme :p

Blushy DM:

blushy_dm_by_dragonmage156-daaxhx7.jpg

I drew this for something... can't remember what though XD (probably something related to me and Ysul ;) )

Edited by DragonMage156
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

The draw the squad piece seems a bit cleaner compared to the others. Is it due to medium or the paper texture?

58 minutes ago, Mobbstar said:

I think it's just from farther away frankly.

Could also be the camera quality. I took that Draw the Squad meme picture the next day due to my camera throwing a fit not taking good enough pictures the night before.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

I'll draw my OCs anyway, I'm just sad that no one else likes them as much as I thought -_-

3 people is not everyone else, gee. Also I'm not voting, partly because what I just said, partly because:

8 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Comics count as drawing ocs right...?

• Like 2

On 1 agosto 2016 at 9:52 AM, DragonMage156 said:

I'll draw my OCs anyway, I'm just sad that no one else likes them as much as I thought -_-

(The following comment is just constructive criticism) The problem with your ocs is that they are a bit "redundant", as in they are usually just animals (and from what I've seen, not too different personalities).

now I know that's your style, but experimentation can lead to fantastic things! Maybe try some different art styles, some different ocs, see what you can come up with. 

Well, altering the personalities would seem kinda difficult (it's bad enough I don't have much of a personality for Otto except daredevil and Ted so far is only known as the stupid one. Fluffy doesn't have much originality cos she's almost just like me). As for different art styles, I have drawn them more cartoony at one point...

Spoiler

i_have_an_idea_by_dragonmage156-d8t74bi.

do_you_like_my_new_bow__by_dragonmage156

pink_ted_by_dragonmage156-d8t74b7.jpg

But in the end, I preferred my original art style. As fore more OCs, I have many unused ones such as Batsy, a hawk character, and the ferret one I have yet to draw. I was thinking of making a cat character as well but I lack ideas for that as well -_-

If I was gonna change some things to make them more interesting (and maybe improve the current DS comic) then I'll need help and ideas since I'm not good with that myself :/

• Like 5

I think what Dwer meant is that a lot of your OCs are anthropomorphized, scaled-up animals, many of which seem to be (as he said) redundant.  You have multiple squirrel characters; the only different in design between them being their color, and most of them have pretty basic personalities and motivations.  This one's nice, this guy's smart, she's evil, etc.  In my personal opinion, I think this might be because you're making too many characters too fast; I try to spend a lot of time and effort on them before using them.  For instance, Meri has quite a few things happening for him.  He has a physical disorder which makes him feel immensely inferior to the rest of his race, which leads to him being a murder machine for a while; he manages to calm down and mature, leading to him developing a restricted and serious personality; he meets Niella, who plants the seeds of morality in his subconscious; their relationship becomes unsteady, since they have drastically different lifestyles; Meri runs away while she's asleep, too nervous to actually break up with her; the next group of humans he meets, he gains that morality and helps them out, becoming more than just an animalistic monster; he starts to grow out of that restricted personality as he gets more comfortable with them; etc.  I know using one of my own characters as an example is pretty egotistical, but eh :p

My suggestion is that you take a character you're really passionate about, or make an entirely new one; then spend a bunch of time and focus on that one character, creating a complicated design and developing a nuanced backstory and personality.  Quality over quantity, y'know?  I dunno, that's just my two cents; I hope this doesn't offend you too much, I'm bad at giving constructive criticism x_x

• Like 5

I don't actually have all these squirrel character. The purple one is just my persona as a squirrel, nothing else. I'm probably never gonna draw that one again. Same with the green one. They were just experiments. As for the pink squirrel, she's more of a one-story kinda character and is only there to create drama/a love triangle. My main four character have a backstory (and would probably develop more as I write it) however the other side character do not.

Batsy is clumsy but I have no idea of where he should live (other than a cave) and who with.

The black hawk character (still in need of a name) is the bad guy that's been hunting Red and his friends for quite sometime now.

Monty the rat is... well... idk. I haven't worked out his personality yet. (I actually named one of my pet rats after him and he had two brothers. However I could only afford two rats at a time so the third one was left at the pet store. His brothers name is Rodney and I'd love to draw those two more but I currently have no good ideas for them).

New ferret character which I have yet to design and name. All I got is she's female and she's supposed to be a good fighter (and maybe good at sneaking around but I don't want her to be a ninja). She may also be Otto's love interested but I'm not sure if that's shipping too many OCs or not.

• Like 3