[Crash] - Game Breaks Upon Refreshing Mods

Bug Submission:

Category: Crash
Platform: PC
Issue Title: Game Breaks Upon Refreshing Mods
Issue Description: If you have the Contingency Plan DLC installed and active, hitting the refresh mods button, regardless of whether or not you currently have any other mods installed, causes the game to forget you have the DLC until you exit and re-enter the game. Any save files using the DLC become incompatible until you restart the game.
Steps to Reproduce: WAY NUMBER 1
1. Have the Contingency Plan DLC.
2. Have no other mods installed.
3. Check save files using it for compatibility. If yes, good.
4. Click refresh mods button in options.
5. Check save files using it for compatibility. If no, good.

WAY NUMBER 2
1. Have the Contingency Plan DLC.
2. Have any other mod installed.
3. Complete steps 3-5 in way 1.

~~

Another issue that happens is if you attempt to create a new campaign and then immediately choose to go back to the main menu, it's completely black!

This bug occurs from mods installed through the workshop and through the forums.​

Send help.

invisibleinc.txt

There are two more problems I've encountered that aren't listed above, and they're as follows.

-Any new mods from the workshop or the forums will not show up on the mod toggle list

-Refreshing mods in the options menu removes the contingency plan from the mod toggle list.

Please send help. I love this game and would love it even more if it worked to its fullest potential.

It's been weeks now and nobody's responded so I guess either there's no solution to this or nobody cares about it. Regardless, this is a prevalent issue, because it interferes with the base gameplay modded or not. It would be a big help if at least one person gave this a shot, but at the moment it seems like a lost cause.

This is a known issue, but game itself tells you to restart. (REFRESH MODS tooltip: "... You will need to restart the game after refreshing.") If you are curious why, here's the technical explanation.

When refreshing mods, game tries to overwrite current dlc's and workshop mods/language packs. If you have any of them loaded (and you will, game initializes them very early during booting, and disabling them in dlc/mods menu does NOT unload them), you will get typical OS error (trying to edit/overwrite/delete file already in use by running program). Then game encounters this error it can't do anything (as it's OS related), and refresh code gets terminated prematurely, causing the issues.

To fix this, Klei must change refresh code to unload dlc/mods assets from memory before updating. And here's the problem: this game was created with MOAI and uses LUA scripting language. LUA is called "high-level" language, meaning it's users don't have to worry about nitty-griddy of how computer manages stuff "under the hood". But this also means you can't access or alter stuff like memory allocation and when data gets loaded/unloaded, which you can in "low-level" language like C or C++.

In short, it might not be even possible to fix this. I just accepted this as "necessary evil", low price to pay in exchange for modding capabilities. Of course it would be great to have this fixed, but having to wait 10 more seconds to play isn't an issue for me.

I've tried your solution multiple times, that being simply restarting after refreshing. However, this does not solve the issue that any mod or DLC in the DLC folder or mods folder cannot be selected after refreshing.

For example, if I were to have the Contingency Plan active and then to refresh mods, the contingency plan would disappear altogether. If I had the CP DLC alongside any other mods, such as Programs Extended (which is amazing btw) and I were to load the game, there would not be an option to select it, neither before or after I refresh mods, restart or not.

Either it's a more complex issue or I didn't fully understand your response, and I apologize for that in advance. Nevertheless, thank you for your time, you've provided me with the biggest lead I can work from.

Try this: go to your InvisibleInc/mods folder and delete all Workshop mods. Go to Steam and verify integrity of game cache to update all base game files. Then launch the game, refresh mods and restart. This should fix any problems.

Archived