Targeting Turret!

What strategies have you found that work well for mowing down most of the guard resistance with a K&O facility's own turret?

Obviously, you want to hack the turret and not the power supply.  But how far away can guards hear a turret when it fires?  What triggers a guard's awareness that a turret has been compromised?

Can you KO a guard that's alerted to a turret's unexpected behavior, drag him into the turret's cone of vision, and let him wake up to kill him?

I'm just curious to know what strategies people use with respect to turrets, and which have proven to be the most remorselessly brutal.

As far as I am aware, all "noisy" actions can be heard from 5 tiles away. That's not a full 5-tile square though as they attempt to simulate a circular radius (it goes to something like 3 or 4 tiles on the diagonal). I believe this applies to all weapon fire including turrets but cannot verify offhand.

Keep in mind that all turrets only have 2 bullets so you will only ever be able to take out two guards with one turret. A guard that is within the turret's vision will not be fired upon until they actually attempt to move. If a guard is aware that the turret has been hacked (I believe this only happens after it's fired on a guard once) the guard will "overwatch" the turret and destroy it on his next turn instead of moving and being shot himself.

I'm not sure if KOing a guard that is aware of a hacked turret "resets" their awareness of the hack. I have never tried that actually.

With the 2 bullet limitation I don't think any turret strategies would qualify as "remorselessly brutal" but I do use them on occasion to get rid of guards. It's a judgement call just like killing guards in any other situation...is it worth the alarm boost or not?

As far as I am aware, all "noisy" actions can be heard from 5 tiles away. That's not a full 5-tile square though as they attempt to simulate a circular radius (it goes to something like 3 or 4 tiles on the diagonal). I believe this applies to all weapon fire including turrets but cannot verify offhand.

It's not a strict rule, I know at least one exception. Hacked Akuma drone firing at something has an 8 tile radius for a sound bug to hear it.

You are very right in that different sounds can be heard from different distances away. I don't know any exact numbers but for example sprinting agents don't make the same amount of sound as sprinting guards, and guards make different amount of sound depending on if they're alerted or not, not to mention the large amount of items that make sound.

I don't know how much sound guns make. Most of the ones used by agents are silenced while for example drone guns make lots of noise like someone mentioned. I guess I can look it up some time.

Archived