(Suggestion) Mountains (enterable sections)

Mountains (as separate section) would fit as much into Don't Starve as Caves. Of course with specific animals and enemies. Like A mountain gorilla, hawks, snakes, cougars, and some ancient tribesmen that have their (aztec or mayan style) villages up there who think you are either a arriving ancient god or a evil conqueror and treat you as such.

Also some mountain plants and falling stones and erruption would fit right in.

Each mountain has more than one area and the higher you go the more dangerous and cold/hot it gets.

On Top of each mountain there should be a dangerous giant and a bunch of treasures, or no stuff at all so you never know if you gonna get something out of it.

I think that mountains would be cool because there are only plains in the game, it boring

Yes, I'd like something other than plains.

But if it is not plains, vision would be a problem: you shouldn't be able to see higher ground from lower place, like all other RTS or MOBA games (just not 3D), or it won't would not make difference to be mountains.

Sadly I'm afraid it would be too hard to implement, seems their programs are not well designed to be refactored, otherwise cave servers won't be what they are like now. :(

Yes, I'd like something other than plains.

But if it is not plains, vision would be a problem: you shouldn't be able to see higher ground from lower place, like all other RTS or MOBA games (just not 3D), or it won't would not make difference to be mountains.

Sadly I'm afraid it would be too hard to implement, seems their programs are not well designed to be refactored, otherwise cave servers won't be what they are like now. :(

Another issue: it would require a 3rd server.  My computer can handle this, but there are a multitude of people already complaining about the cpu usage of 2 servers.

I think the levels could be done with something coded similarly to wormholes; you go into a ladder up or down, and reach the next or previous level.  the previous level may be seen through holes in the ground, or it can be just darkness if that's too much.  

It would be a nice touch to have a cave entrance on either level 1 or -1, or having several negative levels, until you reach the mantle, where lava lights your way, and overheating is an issue.  

Perhaps having some kind of underground dragonfly-esque creature roaming down there; with another, ice-based giant on the peak?  I think it'd be kind of cool to have giant moleworms tunneling about, and attacking you for your rocks.

But this is starting to run the issue of the world being too big; which is why the caves are run on a separate server...  Maybe only a few levels would solve this, or having each level be rather small, but both of those might make it a bit less worth it to explore the mountain... 

Archived