The Covenant of Souls [Open beta]

Please allow me to introduce you to... the Covenant of Souls!

This mod completely changes how you fight combats in Don't Starve, by replacing them with RPG inspired turn based encounters! So slay monsters, gain experience, and find a way to escape the world in which Maxwell has trapped you!

You're going to need some help though, so be sure to search far and wide for the soul gems of long dead heroes. The spirits of these ancient warriors, trapped within their crystalline prisons, will lend you power and extraordinary skills in combat. Equipping different soul gems will change how you approach a fight. Maxwell's minions have also captured some of your closest friends. Free them, and they will join you in your quest to escape!

This mod has been a real labour of love, undertaken on and off over the period of a whole year. I'd like to really thank some people that help me make this mod a reality:

@Vivalavie and @UltimaZix for lending their lovely art to the mod, which has jazzed up its appearance to no end, and @Mobbstar and @ImDaMisterL for the many hours they spent helping me catch many nasty bugs :-) Thanks guys!

Like to give this mod a whirl? You can download it here! It will be made available on Steam in a few days, after I've made sure nothing broke at the last minute.

Please note, that this mod currently only works for vanilla Don't Starve; RoG is not supported. It is recommended that this mod is played without any other mods running as the changes to the base mechanics of game are extensive and compatibility can not be assured. A new game must also be started for this mod to take effect.

Additionally, this mod is in beta! There may still be some bugs lurking around. If you can send me a detailed report on any bugs encountered, that would be awesome. But for now, enjoy!

Hey again, just to clarify. The encounters based on what turf you are currently standing on, right? I just had a battle with a Beefalo, when there was no Beefalo nearby. Secondly, I just also insta-win an encounter because there was no enemy, is that normal?

A few more things I noticed:

• Chester and maybe even chests, (haven't made one yet): Their GUI can't be interacted with if the Manage Party Menu is open, even if the chests/container's GUI is visually on top of the Manage Party's Menu.
post-474697-0-43627100-1446555468_thumb.
  • Holding a torch out-of-combat then when an encounter occurs, the torch's flame is floating in the middle.(Intentional? Figured might as well report it, in case it wasn't.)
post-474697-0-60934500-1446555488_thumb.

Ran out of time to play today. So I hope that helps for now, cheers.

Hey again, just to clarify. The encounters based on what turf you are currently standing on, right? I just had a battle with a Beefalo, when there was no Beefalo nearby. Secondly, I just also insta-win an encounter because there was no enemy, is that normal?

Arg, the thin air boss strikes again :lol: No srly, this bug has been there for approximately ever, but it's harmless, just an annoyance. By the way, were you by any chance near some beefalo?

Random encounters are mostly random, you get attacked by frogs and pigs and spiders and clockworks and cows and bugs, tendencies based on the current area. I'm suprised you know that the mod differentiates.

Arg, the thin air boss strikes again :lol: No srly, this bug has been there for approximately ever, but it's harmless, just an annoyance. By the way, were you by any chance near some beefalo?

Random encounters are mostly random, you get attacked by frogs and pigs and spiders and clockworks and cows and bugs, tendencies based on the current area. I'm suprised you know that the mod differentiates.

Haha, thanks for clarifying. Sadly, I explored the savanna further right after the battle, but found no Beefalos at all. Which is fine with me, that just means that the mod plays by the basic rules of an RPG as expected. Thumbs up from me. Thanks for the reply. Cheers.

@Vivalavie and @UltimaZix for lending their lovely art to the mod, which has jazzed up its appearance to no end, and @Mobbstar and @ImDaMisterL for the many hours they spent helping me catch many nasty bugs :-) Thanks guys!

JAZZED!? Oh, you're too kind u3u

doing the art was fun! Thanks for the compliment! Hope it helped!

I've updated the mod to take care of the bugs posted above. Thanks for bringing them to my attention!

Changelog:

- Fixed a bug which caused birds in bird cages to misbehave after the occurrence of a combat
- Fixed a bug which potentially causes Wilson's beard to crash the game
- Attempted to fix a rare bug which causes a combat to occur with no enemies to fight; this requires extensive play testing to confirm that this bug has finally been squished. 
- Tweaked the container widget used by chests, ice boxes and Chester; it now moves down out of the way when the character manager is open

@Zillvr: Unfortunately I wasn't able to replicate the floating torch flame bug. Does it happen often?

Another update, 'cos I found more bugs :p

- Fixed a bug which allowed the lure plant to spawn new eye plants during combat
- Fixed a bug which caused the damage dealt by the pugilist's 'Right Hook' to not properly scale with the character's lost health
- Fixed a bug which stopped characters from synchronising their animstates with their doppelganger before the start of a combat.
- Tweaked some character strings

Finally got the update uploaded. I've also uploaded it to the Steam workshop!

Changelog:

- Fixed a bug which allowed combats to pop while forming a soulbond with an ancient hero
- Fixed a bug which stopped Woodie's doppelganger syncing with his werebeaver form
- Fixed a bug which caused the werebeaver's night vision to be applied to Woodie after the end of a combat
- Tweaked the order the swashbuckler abilities are unlocked
- Tweaked the 'Reversal' status effect (re: Krampus' 'Reverse Fortunes' and the swashbuckler's 'Table the Tables') ability to apply one additional stack of poison
- Tweaked the safe guards for the prevention of 'thin air' encounters 
- Made some minor cosmetic changes

@chromiumboy, just checked back to see any updates on this and see you've tried to mention me and replicate the torch floating thing. I haven't been able to play in a while but after that happened, I always forget to keep a torch on before an encounter to see if it would happen again. Usually the encounters occur during the day/dusk, and the encounters feels random.

When I play it again, I'll try and figure it out. Thanks for the reply. To mention a forum member in your next post so they get notified, you can highlight a portion of their post and a @Mention button will pop up. Cheers.

Hey, I posted this in the Steam Workshop forums, but I felt it worth posting here, too.

Copypasted (with some edits) from the Steam forum:

I'll add one to the bunch. THIS oddity.
After a bit of normal play, this happened. When it starts, it seems you start out at the normal spot (where the character is upon starting an encounter), but it seems the character sort of... zooms off screen without input. Eventually it resets back to the start point, only to zoom off again and repeat.

I'd add it to Lesser Bugs. It's not a gamebreaker (you can still finish the fight) but it does drastically slow the pace of combat. Even for an auto-battle, which usually wraps up quick, that took about 2-3 minutes, maybe? I'm currently seeing if reloading the game fixes it. Will keep you posted.

I reloaded the save and it fixed it. (I didn't even need to reload the game, just the save.)

Hey, I posted this in the Steam Workshop forums, but I felt it worth posting here, too.

Copypasted (with some edits) from the Steam forum:

I'll add one to the bunch. THIS oddity.
After a bit of normal play, this happened. When it starts, it seems you start out at the normal spot (where the character is upon starting an encounter), but it seems the character sort of... zooms off screen without input. Eventually it resets back to the start point, only to zoom off again and repeat.

I'd add it to Lesser Bugs. It's not a gamebreaker (you can still finish the fight) but it does drastically slow the pace of combat. Even for an auto-battle, which usually wraps up quick, that took about 2-3 minutes, maybe? I'm currently seeing if reloading the game fixes it. Will keep you posted.

I reloaded the save and it fixed it. (I didn't even need to reload the game, just the save.)

Archived