Possible Game Polish With Shipwrecked?

I was just curious if regular Don't Starve was going to receive some of the little improvements that happened with Don't Starve Together with the Shipwrecked update. Things such as:

*A nicer console where you can exit with ~ and copy/paste etc.

*8 sided walls

*Improved Controller Support as in this post: 

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/53296-ps4-controller-layout-ds-vs-dst/?p=632774

*GUI Improvements

That's all I can think of at the moment. I just thought it would be nice if DS could get a little polish on such things like DST did. I'm not sure how hard it would be to bring those things over and its not really necessary, though it would be nice. I was just wondering if it was considered and if not if its possible to.

What about the path finding when you click stuff and it makes them walk round sea whereas DS makes them walk into it 24/7

Yea! Any improvements like that, that were developed for DST but didn't make it into DS. Thanks for adding to the list, I know I didn't think of everything so contributions to the list are very welcome.

I'm all about new content too! But was hoping that since it was already done in DST if it wasn't too much trouble that it be applied to DS as well. Though I'd rather the new content be concentrated on if adding those improvements would take up too much of their time and resources to implement. 

I hope they will take the time to fix some bugs that have been fixed in DST but not (yet ?) in the solo version.

For example endothermic fire heating hatching eggs.  

The list of DST fixes and improvements and some of the easily ported new content is quite long by now. I'd be rather disappointed by Klei if they take no effort to update the original other than cashing in on outsourced DLC (and the longer they wait, the harder it will become).

I think it'd be better for the Don't Starve IP in the long term if they'd somehow merge the two games somewhere in the future into a single game that simply has all available playing modes and content, instead of this parallel but mutually increasingly incompatible development (and modding).

I really hope they will think of us Don't Starve solo players and bring fixes there too.

Don't Starve is almost perfect (to me) and eradicating the few bugs that remain would make it even closer to perfection, even more when these bugs have been fixed in DST. 

It would be quite sad if they didn't take the time to port it on the solo version just because not everybody is begging for it, Don't Starve is a neat game and they should push this neatness to the limits. They should make it the One game, it's a moral duty.  

Does somebody know if bug fixes are planned, even if not a priority, or if the devs will never lay their hands on it anymore ? 

I remember them saying that DST wouldn't affect Don't Starve in terms of mechanics and content but of course that they will bring fixes and improvements from one to another. Is it still planned ? 

I don't want to feel Don't Starve as an 'unpolished' or 'outdated' DST (except for Shipwrecked).

Its so bad atm.

I feel very sad about DS/DST in general.

Now we have 2 games that are mostly the same, one will get Trough the Ages other will get Shipwrecked.

In the end we have 2 games that should be ONE game.

Its an interesting idea, mergin both games into one. I would like that as I don't find DST as much fun as solo DS, I was against multiplayer from the beginning.

:nomultipl:

Well, no one ever said you have to buy it. I've gotten almost as many hours of enjoyment out of the multiplayer game as I have the single player. If they were forcing the multiplayer onto people who don't want it, that would be an issue. But they're not. It's a separate game; if you don't want it just don't buy it; there's no need to rebel against its existence entirely when there are a lot of people who DO like and want it. That's a little self-centred.

Its so bad atm.

I feel very sad about DS/DST in general.

Now we have 2 games that are mostly the same, one will get Trough the Ages other will get Shipwrecked.

In the end we have 2 games that should be ONE game.

It's impossible (or at the least, way too difficult for their time and resources) to have the two as one game. That's WHY it's standalone. There was too much that would need to change in the basic game code in order to make it work. Functionally, in terms of coding, they are two different games.

It's impossible (or at the least, way too difficult for their time and resources) to have the two as one game. That's WHY it's standalone. There was too much that would need to change in the basic game code in order to make it work. Functionally, in terms of coding, they are two different games.

Yeah, I think merging the two games is a bit fanciful, but I would have liked them to remain faithful to their will of bringing fixes to the solo version too, instead of polishing only DST. 

Thats not the case here. It could be one game.

I think the work on DST started while the RoG wasn't finished yet, so instead of doing things in order they did a standalone game. Even if that's not the case, I can't say I support this move in any way.

Both games will get different expansions, on top of that DST is running better than DS on the same machine, and both games are about the same thing.

Its like you would realse Terraria for single player and Terraria Together for multiplayer, and then started adding updates and improvments only to Terraria Together leaving the single player version behind.

They should seek a way to merge DST with DS, even more now than ever cause managing one game instead of 2 will be easier, the game will have the same contnet, some disabled for single player mode but not much of that.

Now with DST support for 8 faced animations, I can't bring animals and items from DST to DS with mods anymore.

Creating DST as standalone game was biggest mistake ever, and since every owner of DS got it for free it could be a big DLC or update to DS.

I'm already mad about what gets added to DST, better mush trees, Wee Tusk can fight, meteors, new Ice Fling functionality and so on. This will only escalte with more things added to DST. In the end it makes me HATE both of those games.

Too many assumptions by some of you. The multiplayer was the right move and I honestly do not see how it could be one game. In the end single player does not need as much balancing as multiplayer and from development standpoint allowing people play with more people just makes the game more popular. Multi was the obvious choice like duh... 

As for the assumptions - I think many of you seem to believe that what multiplayer gets won't be added to single player. There is no reason for Klei to add everything that is in DST into RoG when they have yet not even finished the DST. REMEMBER that DST is still in beta, you can't suddenly demand that they add everything to RoG that would just make DST development even slower.

I want to think that all the cool things in DST and fixes will be added to DS once the DST is finished. I might be wrong of course. Personally I play more single player than multi but this game needs to keep going forward so that the player base does not shrink and Klei keep earning money.

Thats not the case here. It could be one game.

I think the work on DST started while the RoG wasn't finished yet, so instead of doing things in order they did a standalone game. Even if that's not the case, I can't say I support this move in any way.

Both games will get different expansions, on top of that DST is running better than DS on the same machine, and both games are about the same thing.

Its like you would realse Terraria for single player and Terraria Together for multiplayer, and then started adding updates and improvments only to Terraria Together leaving the single player version behind.

They should seek a way to merge DST with DS, even more now than ever cause managing one game instead of 2 will be easier, the game will have the same contnet, some disabled for single player mode but not much of that.

Now with DST support for 8 faced animations, I can't bring animals and items from DST to DS with mods anymore.

Creating DST as standalone game was biggest mistake ever, and since every owner of DS got it for free it could be a big DLC or update to DS.

I'm already mad about what gets added to DST, better mush trees, Wee Tusk can fight, meteors, new Ice Fling functionality and so on. This will only escalte with more things added to DST. In the end it makes me HATE both of those games.

According to the devs, it is the case. Go read what THEY had to say about making it two separate games. Single player and multiplayer are very different beasts that require handling in very different ways. I'm going to trust the game's devs over a forum poster; and I truly mean no offence by that.

If you don't support it, fine. Don't play the game. No one is making you. There are people out there who have no problem whatsoever with the format, and that's not your business. You not liking the game isn't going to change the opinion of people who do. If you have SO much of an issue with the functional game not being tweaked just a little more that it's completely destroyed your perception of the game, no one has to live with that except you.

I don't play Terraria, so that comparison makes little sense to me. I don't know what they ended up doing and to be honest I don't care; I think that game's overrated.

I think the solution would be is if you don't literally "merge" the games, you allow DST to take precedence, because it's the only one out of the two that can viably and reasonably support both singleplayer and multiplayer.

According to the devs, it is the case. Go read what THEY had to say about making it two separate games. Single player and multiplayer are very different beasts that require handling in very different ways. I'm going to trust the game's devs over a forum poster; and I truly mean no offence by that.

If you don't support it, fine. Don't play the game. No one is making you. There are people out there who have no problem whatsoever with the format, and that's not your business. You not liking the game isn't going to change the opinion of people who do. If you have SO much of an issue with the functional game not being tweaked just a little more that it's completely destroyed your perception of the game, no one has to live with that except you.

I don't play Terraria, so that comparison makes little sense to me. I don't know what they ended up doing and to be honest I don't care; I think that game's overrated.

The whole point is I can't use DST for single player and don't want to use DS for that either as its left out of the fixes and not even new but FINISHED content for caves (new mushtrees animations, growth stages etc).

So they left caves unfinished for SP and will finish them for MP, this is really bad.

I can tell you they used DS codebase for DST, I could even tell you when the work on DST started more or less, I know  cause the bug I reported for DS was in DST files at realse.

What is different is the things around general multiplayer, it is possible to have both modes in one game.

At least I see it as better option than creating standalone game and then doing different DLC's.

DS will get shipwrecked, DST will get trough the ages, in the end I'm left with 2 incomplete games.

Asaide from new respawn mechanics and big HP of gainats nothing feels like it needs to be played by a team.

Well, no one ever said you have to buy it. I've gotten almost as many hours of enjoyment out of the multiplayer game as I have the single player. If they were forcing the multiplayer onto people who don't want it, that would be an issue. But they're not. It's a separate game; if you don't want it just don't buy it; there's no need to rebel against its existence entirely when there are a lot of people who DO like and want it. That's a little self-centred.

I never said that anyone made me buy it (it came with the game, so actually i did have to but whatever). I never "rebelled against its existence", nor was my slightly sarcastic comment self centered. I don't know where you got any of that. Don't be aggressive about it. I am entitled to my own opinion. and you are to yours.  

DST has different caves and ruins compared to DS, and also has yet to implement world hopping and some kind of adventure mode alternative hack. So, for now, they have to be different games.

What I do know now is that DST runs way smoothly that DS. If DST came before DS, I wouldn't need DS.

But then again, if DST came before DS, there would have been a stronger base to work with. More than likely DS would be part of DST, as the offline experience of DST. You don't make a campaign and then tack multiplayer over it, more like the opposite.

If there's anything that needs to be ported to DS from DST, it'll most likely be things like cosmetic changes. For example, a lot of the tools and clothing items used in DST have higher-quality artwork while base DS still uses the blurry assets. It's just more polish.

If Klei won't do it though modders definitely will. I've already made a mod that swaps some DST textures into the base game and put it on the workshop, but I think as people become more aware of these differences more modders will want to port this stuff over.

If it was me I would have it like this. 

Reign of Giants is technically (for me) the complete Don't Starve experience, so any DLC added in the future should be active on purchase and the transition from Reign of Giants to said active DLC should be unnoticeable. For example like in Borderlands 2 or Skyrim. 

E.g. So a simple concept would be. While playing RoG (we have SW DLC enabled) we see a skull rock randomly found on the map near the ocean. Activating the skull rock transports us to SW DLC content. I hope this makes sense :)

Archived