Have you ever died from starvation ?

A handful of times, when I was at low health and could not reach the base in time. In most circumstances, I did have monster meat with me. There's also been times I died from being careless due to trying to hurry my way to a place to eat. It's certainly not a common death of mine and most of these situations happened while I was still getting the hang of Winter, the Caves, and RoG Summer.

I died once in adventure mode. Didn't have enough grass to make a trap for a rabbit and I couldnt chase it down either. I started in cold reception. We don't die from starvation but I'm sure many of us die while trying to get food xp

In my early days, absolutely. I had this annoying tendency to want to leave carrots in the ground "for emergencies". I had to forcibly train myself out of that. I also didn't realize I could last for DAYZ on seeds and berries, and neglected to pick them regularly. As you can imagine, it took me a while to figure out how to survive a full season, let alone through Winter.

Have I ever starved before? Well, uh,

tumblr_nvtyy1i5rz1ub4vjqo1_540.jpg

This was my first time playing the pc version, although I wasn't new to don't starve - I played the console version for a while first. One nice thing about the console version is that it makes the controller vibrate when you get hurt, and I'd actually come to rely on the vibration more than the red screen edges to tell me when I was starving/freezing/overheating. But, uh, the thing about the pc version is that it of course doesn't make anything vibrate, a fact that I didn't realize until later. I wasn't really paying attention to my hunger, which eventually led to this interesting chain of events:

Screen edges go red. I am confused about this --> My eyes wander over to the health circle, which does in fact confirm that I am dying. I am still confused --> I look at the hunger circe, which is unsurprisingly empty. It takes a second for everything to click, but when it does, I panic to no avail --> Wilson keels over --> I am confused and slightly upset. I believe my exact thoughts were "Wait, why didn't it vibra- OH" --> Then I mostly just felt like an idiot

That's probably one of the most interesting don't starve stories I have, haha.

(I've also starved in many other playthroughs too, mostly because I tend to be kind of careless.)

Never!

I'm proud of that, if only because I've played hundreds of hours and avoided that particular cause of death. I've died from eating bad food and from trying to GET food, though. (That's actually my most recent death; I was in A Cold Reception and there seemed to be no berry bushes and about three rabbit holes on the entire map, so I had to either wait for farm crops to sprout or fight tallbirds, pigs, and/or beefalo if I wanted to eat.)

I have never died from starvation, I usually risk death trying to get food. When I was a super-noob, right after I got RoG, I died many times trying desperately to kill anything that moved for sustenance. I never learn my lesson: DON'T ATTACK THE PENGUINS!

I probably died from other stuff the first 4 or 5 times I played.  Then I got a good handle on the food situation and figured I had the game just about mastered around day 19.  Two days later my screen took on a blueish cast and Wilson starts shivering.

I had no idea the game contained Winter.  My nice row of berry bushes were barren and I had set up near some pond for the "infinite" frog legs.  I could only venture far enough from the fire to set up traps near two rabbit holes.  It was a slow starvation and I probably died about 7 or 8 days later.

That was at least two years ago.  Good times.

I don't think I've ever died to starvation alone, I've ended up starving but its usually due to having set myself an awkward challenge like cave life mostly unprepared or infinite winter, etc. But usually the rush to find something to eat ends up being what kills me more than the starvation itself.

Archived