Help with base layout

so i survived just over 315 days and i went through the teleportato to start a new world, at first i was really disappointed with the world i got because i thought there was no pig king, but there's 2 different pig villages and i do have a pig king :grin:

also have a nice big swamp in my world, a few mac tusk camps, few sink-holes and a couple touchstones, and the beefalo and pig king are pretty close to each other so i decided to set-up base in a savannah where im close to a beefalo herd but not too close, close to the pig king/village and close to the forest patch that spawns in the middle of the savannah. 

one thing though, i want to make my base properly this time, i wanna have the floors done and structures placed properly so i wont have to do any renovations later. the only thing ive placed so far is 2 chests and a fire pit, which can be moved if necessary. so please help with my base layout, i want it to be good looking and convenient. im not playing RoG so i'll be building many crock pots/drying racks... so yea, probably wont even play in that world until i know what im doing with my base first

All your help is very much appreciated

well, the one thing you don't want is fence...I would replace them with toothtraps so i can remove them later...You should make about...30 chests, 25 drying racks, and 5 crockpots are enough alongside with 4 iceboxes.That's it.If you decide to kill the dragonfly then you only need 12 --- 15 chests along with a dragonfly's scale chest.

I can only really say what I usually do (or did, since I play RoG only these days and that requires another way of building):

• If you're a gatherer, you should have at least 20 chests in a storage area and some chests for fuel supplies near your firepit. How many chests you should use for fuel depends on what you wish to use, but I recommend straw bed rolls, beefalo hair, and manure, so that's about three chests. Another three chests (3 x 2 chests above your firepit should look decent) can be build nearby for "immediate" supplies - you know, stuff like mobile light sources so you can run if you get attacked at night, a thermal stone, medicine, most stuff from the tool tab if you don't keep them on you, clothing you regularly use, etc.)
  • Your kitchen area (fridges, crockpots, drying racks - I like wooden flooring for this area) should also not be far from your firepit, or you could give it a firepit of its own. Definitely make a large number of drying racks (10+), about three fridges, and some five-six crockpots. Depending on your food focus, build the farm plots and/ or birdcages and/or bee boxes-flower gardens nearby.
  • Catch fireflies wherever you find them that's not a strategical spot and replant them in your base. They get a little in the way of getting things if they are in front, but their moment of light will save you if you return to base when night kicks in. A few near your base entrances and around your firepit should be priority. (It also looks really pretty at night!)
  • Have a panic room or emergency field ready. Lining the path with fireflies can be a huge help. Make sure it's a decent distance away from camp and other valuables in case of red hounds and have a firepit and lightning rod ready in the middle.
  • If you want to replant stuff for easy supplies, don't forget to put a tooth trap in front of the berry bushes and have your plan ready how to deal with any treeguards. And here too, don't forget the lightning rod. 
  • Your beefalos will be fine roaming free, but consider a pen to store koalephants. It'll be easy meat whenever you need it. I prefer my koalephant pen to be a thin, long mini-branch at a short walking distance from my base. That way, a fence only has to be build at the branch's start and the tips near the shore line can be left open for easy access. The koalephants will rarely find the cracks to escape through but you can easily herd one inside. I personally also like to decorate this pen with some trees and other plants to make it look hospitable to my living meat containers.
  • Consider a miniature pet pen to store Chester, Birdcages, and mandrakes. Woolly flooring and rock fences with some tooth traps at the entrance just to be safe always looks cozy. If you get around to RoG one day, it's also a nice place to store Glommer for goop (great fuel!) every few days. Mind that Chester can pass tooth traps safely, but that this is not true for mandrakes.
  • Consider a small patch of wooden flooring for a lureplant garden. It's free meat every few days. If near the ocean you won't have to use as much manmade turf to limit the amount of eyeplants.

I can only really say what I usually do (or did, since I play RoG only these days and that requires another way of building):

• If you're a gatherer, you should have at least 20 chests in a storage area and some chests for fuel supplies near your firepit. How many chests you should use for fuel depends on what you wish to use, but I recommend straw bed rolls, beefalo hair, and manure, so that's about three chests. Another three chests (3 x 2 chests above your firepit should look decent) can be build nearby for "immediate" supplies - you know, stuff like mobile light sources so you can run if you get attacked at night, a thermal stone, medicine, most stuff from the tool tab if you don't keep them on you, clothing you regularly use, etc.)
  • Your kitchen area (fridges, crockpots, drying racks - I like wooden flooring for this area) should also not be far from your firepit, or you could give it a firepit of its own. Definitely make a large number of drying racks (10+), about three fridges, and some five-six crockpots. Depending on your food focus, build the farm plots and/ or birdcages and/or bee boxes-flower gardens nearby.
  • Catch fireflies wherever you find them that's not a strategical spot and replant them in your base. They get a little in the way of getting things if they are in front, but their moment of light will save you if you return to base when night kicks in. A few near your base entrances and around your firepit should be priority. (It also looks really pretty at night!)
  • Have a panic room or emergency field ready. Lining the path with fireflies can be a huge help. Make sure it's a decent distance away from camp and other valuables in case of red hounds and have a firepit and lightning rod ready in the middle.
  • If you want to replant stuff for easy supplies, don't forget to put a tooth trap in front of the berry bushes and have your plan ready how to deal with any treeguards. And here too, don't forget the lightning rod. 
  • Your beefalos will be fine roaming free, but consider a pen to store koalephants. It'll be easy meat whenever you need it. I prefer my koalephant pen to be a thin, long mini-branch at a short walking distance from my base. That way, a fence only has to be build at the branch's start and the tips near the shore line can be left open for easy access. The koalephants will rarely find the cracks to escape through but you can easily herd one inside. I personally also like to decorate this pen with some trees and other plants to make it look hospitable to my living meat containers.
  • Consider a miniature pet pen to store Chester, Birdcages, and mandrakes. Woolly flooring and rock fences with some tooth traps at the entrance just to be safe always looks cozy. If you get around to RoG one day, it's also a nice place to store Glommer for goop (great fuel!) every few days. Mind that Chester can pass tooth traps safely, but that this is not true for mandrakes.
  • Consider a small patch of wooden flooring for a lureplant garden. It's free meat every few days. If near the ocean you won't have to use as much manmade turf to limit the amount of eyeplants.

All great ideas that id eventually like to get done eventually, just the thing is i still dont know where exactly to place everything, how big my base should be, if i want multiple compartments, what flooring to use and all that. i went through the teleportato and have an inventory and krampus sack full of goodies, and im ready to start my base as soon as i know what to do, my Pig king/village and beefalo are close to each other. post-275892-0-01621000-1443955039_thumb. thats where they are on my map, should i keep my camp there on the savanah near some rabbits, or should i move down into the forrest below me. post-275892-0-46987400-1443955062_thumb. camp is pretty bare atm, just waiting to start building once i know how im gonna layout my base. i made a new world and enabled some cheats and came up with somethingpost-275892-0-46716800-1443955112_thumb. messed up chest placement but its a meehh base, i dont know what it will branch into, but i just left room for an exit on each side, not bad i guess. can you maybe come up with a base and post what youve done? curious to see how youd do it

In vanilla you need to floor your base because the lureplants are more aggressive.

For location, I'd actually move further up to the crossroads.  It's closer to the pig king, the swamp, and the frog ponds in the northern grasslands.  Where's Wolly?

I don't use walls for much other than animal pens and a way to contain runaway turkeys in the berry farm.

Drying racks, I actually use 16-24.  Multiple cookpots are useful if you like to cook in bulk, spend one night cooking 16 pierogies and then spend days out gathering resources or spelunking caves.  I know you can just leave food sitting on crock pots and drying racks indefinitely in vanilla, but at least in my experience when I used them that way I hardly used them at all.  Instead of producing useful food on a regular basis they just became reassuring decorations.  I tried to keep them stocked with emergency food at all times, but instead of hunting down new food to stock them with, I just refused to take prepared food from them in anything short of an emergency.  So I strongly suggest building enough crock pots to minimize wait time when cooking in bulk, not for storage space; building enough drying racks to dry fresh meat as you obtain it, not adding a new rack every time you obtain a new meat to hang it there forever.  Speed of production and replacement, not stockpiling.  It'll be good practice for RoG, too.  Of course, you can leave the food on the crock pot or drying rack until there's new food to prepare, just as long as it does actually find its way into the icebox when the time comes.  Maybe you never had this hoarding habit.  Seems to me a lot of the training guides for newbies encourage it though, and it's a bad habit you have to outgrow for RoG.

Yea but where to I put everything!!! I wanna know what it looks like, while idea of this thread was help with making my base look pretty, don't care about anything else, I know how to play the game, just don't know how to make good looking bases

You know what this game needs? Some item that lets you stop time and plan your base first, on screen. And then you're satisfied with parts of it you can equip the item and it shows on your play-area a ghostly scaffolding that shows you the outlines of your design so you can place things precisely where you want them.

Maybe call it Drawinboardato. 

You want us to design your base for you?  But then how is it yours?

Here's 20 pages of reference material to give you some ideas.

I just build functional bases.  Here's the 24 drying racks from my refurbished base again.

2015-10-04_00003.jpgIn RoG without wildfires disabled just put a flingo in the middle instead of the fire pit.

When I build farms I put them a little way from the main workstation / kitchen fire.  The farms get their own kitchen so I can cook in bulk on site.

2015-04-16_00001.jpgThe kitchen area from what will be Willow's pumpkin patch.  I haven't actually gone back to that world in months.  If I could change anything, I'd move the crock pots closer together and increase their number to 8-12.  The fire pit and ice box would need to move to accommodate the crock pots.2015-10-04_00004.jpgMy durian farm applies the lessons learned from Willow's pumpkin patch, but it's much smaller.  I only need 8 durians.  Turkey & Moleworm Wall of Mutual Friendship still needs some work.

For strategies and whatnot, I understand asking for help.  However, a step by step explanation of how to make your base look nice is totally unnecessary and completely missing the point of this game.  

As TemporaryMan says, take a look at others bases (he included a link above) and draw inspiration from those.  

It's all personal taste.  Do what YOU like. 

You know what this game needs? Some item that lets you stop time and plan your base first, on screen. And then you're satisfied with parts of it you can equip the item and it shows on your play-area a ghostly scaffolding that shows you the outlines of your design so you can place things precisely where you want them.

Maybe call it Drawinboardato. 

i always wanted a some sort of mechanic or something in the game for base building, my idea was always some sort of way to move structures, that way you can have an actual base in the mean time, and move things as you wish. maybe this can be done with an expensive science item, like a forklift or something? or it could be like a magic item where you can teleport/leviate structures and move them as you wish. but i do like your idea of pre-planning a base, maybe it would work like, your making your own custom blueprint or something

i always wanted a some sort of mechanic or something in the game for base building, my idea was always some sort of way to move structures, that way you can have an actual base in the mean time, and move things as you wish. maybe this can be done with an expensive science item, like a forklift or something? or it could be like a magic item where you can teleport/leviate structures and move them as you wish. but i do like your idea of pre-planning a base, maybe it would work like, your making your own custom blueprint or something

Umm... take some living logs, nightmare fuel, and a few green gems to the ruins and make yourself the (almost) exact item you just described. 

If we design your base FOR you, it's not your base. It's someone else's base that you're rebuilding.
Making a base pretty isn't really difficult; it's just about organisation. Think about what you need in your base, how many of them you'll need, and then decide what shape you want to put that in.
I would send some inspiration shots, but my base is glitched up to the point where I had to start a new game.

Archived