Help with adding a retexture

Pear120

I've been working on a mod that adds an additional hound type. I've gotten the scripting done, but I'm having difficulties figuring out how textures and animations work with hounds.

Using "hound_ice" as a template for the new hound (I just recolored it), I modified the .tex and renamed the build, but didn't touch the contents of the .bin, and now the new hound is invisible, except for a shadow.  Do I need to go back and modify the .bin as well, even though I'm not changing any animations?

Just to make sure we're on the same page:

Your mod needs a copy of the hound animation (zip file) in its own anim folder

The atlas is the actual images

The build.bin is a map for which image is where (it has a name)

The anim.bin (also called bank) is the animation routes for the symbols as mapped by the build (too has a name)

You need not include an anim.bin in your zip if you load the default hound asset. You can edit the build and atlas using matt's tools. Make sure to load your custom asset and to call the right build!

Just to make sure we're on the same page:

Your mod needs a copy of the hound animation (zip file) in its own anim folder

The atlas is the actual images

The build.bin is a map for which image is where (it has a name)

The anim.bin (also called bank) is the animation routes for the symbols as mapped by the build (too has a name)

You need not include an anim.bin in your zip if you load the default hound asset. You can edit the build and atlas using matt's tools. Make sure to load your custom asset and to call the right build!

Copy of the hound animation in my mod's anim folder, as in my new zip file? Yes.

The atlas is what I edited.

The build.bin is what I used the rename tool on.

The anim.bin (which I think only exists in "hound.zip" instead of "hound_basic.zip", "hound_ice.zip") was not included.

I started building off of another mod that did stuff with hounds (I won't be releasing mine for this reason), which loads in the bank and the build when loading them. I swapped the build in the script out with my filename, made sure it's in the assets, even doublechecked that I didn't need to load it in modmain. What am I missing?

EDIT: The hound anim file is in hound_basic.zip, not hound.zip. Though that still doesn't fix my issue.

No idea.

Did you double-check that you renamed the build correctly?

Did you try to read the log.txt after starting a saved game? The last 20 lines or so might contain an interesting line (presumably "couldn't find build [OUTOFSPACE]" or something alike)

Seems like it's looking for an anim build for my texture. Is this the issue?

[00:47:34]: Could not find anim build hound_pear

Might've narrowed it down. You can basically reskin something with just the anim folder, right? You don't need to modify a script or modmain?

I renamed my build to "hound_red" and renamed the zip, tossed it into my mod's anim folder, and now red hounds are invisible. So I screwed up with the art, and not the scripting side?

Archived