Straw roll and sanity

Hello.

I have a little problem with sleeping in DST. Do any of you exprience sanity drain during sleep? I mean like you loosing sanity instead of gaining it. I played as Wolfgang and I slept in straw roll in complete darkness and I guess his "perk" punish you enough to loose more sanity than you gain. Earlier I could recover that way, but now that grown up baby man needs night light.

Shouldn't you get somekind of protection from sanity drain during sleep so you could recover? You aren't aware enough about things around you when you fall asleep, so why not? (I'm not talking about noises or getting hurt)

Other character have this too but not like they loosing sanity, it's looks like fight between three sanity points up, one down. 

Hello.

I have a little problem with sleeping in DST. Do any of you exprience sanity drain during sleep? I mean like you loosing sanity instead of gaining it. I played as Wolfgang and I slept in straw roll in complete darkness and I guess his "perk" punish you enough to loose more sanity than you gain. Earlier I could recover that way, but now that grown up baby man needs night light.

Shouldn't you get somekind of protection from sanity drain during sleep so you could recover? You aren't aware enough about things around you when you fall asleep, so why not? (I'm not talking about noises or getting hurt)

Other character have this too but not like they loosing sanity, it's looks like fight between three sanity points up, one down. 

It seems you're using sleeping to cheat Charlie instead of actually making a campfire like a grown up. You deserve the punishment.

It seems you're using sleeping to cheat Charlie instead of actually making a campfire like a grown up. You deserve the punishment.

So using game mechanic makes me cheater? You must be joking right now, I don't belive that you wrote that and you have been serious at the same time. Anyway, it's one way of restoring sanity and in DS it worked so I thought it should work in DST too.

• Developer
So using game mechanic makes me cheater?

You were technically exploiting a game action, since technically you were using it in the dark to survive Charlie instead of properly making a campfire and sleeping near it...

I wouldn't call that cheating, though. Not what you did, at least. 

So using game mechanic makes me cheater?

It makes you use a mechanic. In DS. Not DST. DST is a different game altogether.

You must be joking right now, I don't belive that you wrote that and you have been serious at the same time.

He's not.

Anyway, it's one way of restoring sanity and in DS it worked so I thought it should work in DST too.

Logic: If this works in this, then it should still work!

No. DST had sleep changed because of how it worked. In DS, if you slept, it'd add time to make it set back to morning. In DST, it's sanity and health over time slept at the cost of hunger. There is not time adding so you can't skip night and dusk. This is because if it was left like that, then players not sleeping would see the day instantly change even if they were the host. It's like when Woodie wasn't supported, the nightvision mechanic wasn't in the game so people would see the whole island brightened up because somebody was a werebeaver.

It's like when Woodie wasn't supported, the nightvision mechanic wasn't in the game so people would see the whole island brightened up because somebody was a werebeaver.
This was a thing? Or are you saying this would happen if Woodie was ever added in the game and they didn't do anything about his "night vision"?

It makes you use a mechanic. In DS. Not DST. DST is a different game altogether.

He's not.

No. DST had sleep changed because of how it worked. In DS, if you slept, it'd add time to make it set back to morning. In DST, it's sanity and health over time slept at the cost of hunger. There is not time adding so you can't skip night and dusk. This is because if it was left like that, then players not sleeping would see the day instantly change even if they were the host. It's like when Woodie wasn't supported, the nightvision mechanic wasn't in the game so people would see the whole island brightened up because somebody was a werebeaver.

What I can't wrap my head around is why you're arguing for an unintended mechanic. It's obviously an overlook and so if Klei finds out about this, I'm sure they'll add it to their list. You can still get sanity in tent whilst it's dark in DST, btw, so why not for straw roll? Want it a little "harder" for yourself AND others? Hate change? I really don't get it.

He's not.

What is the sense of using straw roll then? If this item is in DST it should work maybe not identical but LIKE in DS. I'm not saying I should get full sanity after using it, but it should give me at least more sanity than I had before, and now while I'm using it I'm loosing hunger and gaining nothing. And don't tell me about skipping time, because I didn't say anything about that, I like it the way it is and I was only refering to the "sanity restore item", what do you don't get? Look at thread topic and my first post again.

You were technically exploiting a game action, since technically you were using it in the dark to survive Charlie instead of properly making a campfire and sleeping near it...   I wouldn't call that cheating, though. Not what you did, at least.

I looked it up to be sure what exploit really is:

An exploit (from the English verb to exploit, meaning "using something to one’s own advantage") is a piece of software, a chunk of data, or a sequence of commands that takes advantage of a bug or vulnerability in order to cause unintended or unanticipated behavior to occur on computer software, hardware, or something electro

If you saying this is exploit, why you don't get hurt when you sleep in darkness? Klei didn't implement that yet? Maybe someone from the staff should write few words about that? @JoeW

What is the sense of using straw roll then?

It's an early tier bedroll. The next steps up are the fur roll (which is unobtainable) and the tent.

If this item is in DST it should work maybe not identical but LIKE in DS.

If they left sleeping as it was in DS, then we would need everybody to sleep. Or when one player sleeps it becomes daytime for everybody. Which trust me, would be less fun.

I'm not saying I should get full sanity after using it, but it should give me at least more sanity than I had before,

Bedrolls and tents increase health an sanity while you sleep in them for the cost of hunger. This is very balanced. You won't get all your sanity back. That would be overpowered and could be used just to say "I'm skipping insanity!" it's a very good thing we won't get all of it back instantly.  If you want your maximum sanity gain back, make a bedroll before dusk, put a board on the fire, and then sleep. By morning you should get all your sanity, if not most of it.

and now while I'm using it I'm loosing hunger and gaining nothing.

Balance.

And don't tell me about skipping time, because I didn't say anything about that, I like it the way it is and I was only refering to the "sanity restore item", what do you don't get?

I re-looked at what you're asking. Wolfgang has a bigger sanity drain. So I guess it's a problem if you do get sanity drain.

I think this could go two ways:

1.) Wolfgang keeps the sanity drain because he gets nightmares when he sleeps.

2.) Wolfgang gets a sanity drain decrease when sleeping, probably for an increase in hunger loss.

It's an early tier bedroll. The next steps up are the fur roll (which is unobtainable) and the tent.

The difference between straw and fur roll is that you will warm up a bit, you can use it few times and you regenerate health. I rather sleep in tent but sometimes I don't have resources so I want to use straw roll instead because it's cheaper and I can obtain it faster.

If they left sleeping as it was in DS, then we would need everybody to sleep. Or when one player sleeps it becomes daytime for everybody. Which trust me, would be less fun.

And don't tell me about skipping time, because I didn't say anything about that, I like it the way it is and I was only refering to the "sanity restore item"

Bedrolls and tents increase health an sanity while you sleep in them for the cost of hunger. This is very balanced. You won't get all your sanity back. That would be overpowered and could be used just to say "I'm skipping insanity!" it's a very good thing we won't get all of it back instantly.  If you want your maximum sanity gain back, make a bedroll before dusk, put a board on the fire, and then sleep. By morning you should get all your sanity, if not most of it.

I'm not saying I should get full sanity after using it, but it should give me at least more sanity than I had before, and now while I'm using it I'm loosing hunger and gaining nothing.

When I said nothing, did I mention that I start loosing sanity instead of gaining even one point? What is the point of using straw roll, again? Loose hunger and sanity as Wolfgang and need to stay in one place. I could start walking with torch and I could get less bad effects on him than using straw roll.

I re-looked at what you're asking. Wolfgang has a bigger sanity drain. So I guess it's a problem if you do get sanity drain. I think this could go two ways: 1.) Wolfgang keeps the sanity drain because he gets nightmares when he sleeps. 2.) Wolfgang gets a sanity drain decrease when sleeping, probably for an increase in hunger loss.

Wait, what? There is no magic story behind this, every sanity drain works on you when you sleeping, even in DS I could get that 33 sanity this isn't much but it is something.

Don't get me wrong and I will repeat that, I don't want it to be 100% sanity refill item, but it should give me small amount of sanity and my question was why sanity drain works on you when you sleep? Ok, your answer is spooky dreams, but I want to hear few words from devs if it's intended to work like that or not.

And my question to you is 30+/- sanity is too much for sleeping item? 

@Pyromailmann I feel like you haven't actually read anything Erec has said in this thread. It appears to me he's not complaining about the lack of time-skipping, or the fact that he loses hunger when sleeping, but that when you sleep in a straw roll the negative effects of darkness are still present, meaning that as Wolfgang you lose more sanity per second than you gain from sleeping. Which makes no sense at all. All the straw roll is for Wolfgang than is a way to decimate your hunger and momentarily save yourself from Charlie. Which I'm pretty sure (and I think Erec agrees) isn't the intended mechanic of a straw roll. He was checking with the community on if it was or not before posting a bug report. You keep talking about balance but when the only thing a sanity restoring item does is drain you hunger, regardless of how cheap it is it isn't balanced.

Archived