First off, I get that change is good and the werebeaver, in technical terms, is pretty over powered. But I simply wished to speak of all the new things and changes in case any were unaware. So I begin.

Okay so I've been playing around with Woodie for a little while. Testing things here and there, and playing around with functions to see how things worked. Normal nerdy stuff.

Anyways, testing out the new werebeaver mechanics I noticed something. Or would it be a lack of something? I'm unsure how you would word that...But, I digress.

The beaver seems to be acting like Woodie with night vision and a hunger for only wood.(and possibly if he was wearing rabbit muffs but that's beside the point)

Now I am unsure if this was intentional or if it's still being worked out.

Damage is still taken the same. Unlike before when you could take a hit and about 80% would be taken.

You can still freeze your tushy off or overheat. Weather WILL affect you.

So I am asking, is this intentional change, or something being worked on? I am highly curious, because with the sanity draining that fast I know you'd go crazy before you freeze but the beaver is now technically affected by weather.

If damage is being reworked I'd almost suggest maybe doing what was done before. Have the log meter tank most of the damage and whatever's left can be applied to health.

The only thing he has going for him right now is his night vision, speed boost, and needing to only eat wood.

Sanity drain is going to be a doozy as the tick is -1or-2/sec

Good thing the tree planting sanity boost was added or you'd most likely be a goner. It's a +5/plant so it's semi decent. Honestly I'd suggest getting as much sanity boost as you can early game and shoving it all in a backpack, avoiding battle on the first moon.

Actually the full moon brings up a point. Be Careful!

Your log meter will initially go down to 25(the change point) And immediately begin draining at about -1or-2/sec

If you have a forest nearby you can turn back pretty quickly and actually wander about the rest of the full moon uninhibited. Odd, but useful.(And I suggest doing that fast if you want to fight anything because fighting is not your strong suit)

And no, you need not eat all of the wood. Some, if you wish to speed up the process, but it's not needed now. Similar to how chopping wood drains the log meter, gnawing wood raises it(by about 1 or 2 each hit)...Which I suppose in technical terms makes sense but game play wise, it's tad confusing.

You're being taught one thing at the start, so you expect it to play through. But, it's not a horribly big deal.

And remember where I said fighting is not your strong suit. Take that to mind before doing anything beavery.

• You cannot wear any sort of armor, at all. (Nor clothing, aside from a backpack)
  • You have no natural defense so any damage a mob does normally is immediately getting kicked from your health bar. (Giants will wreck you, bud)
  • You can, and will, die...a lot. (Unless you are able to turn back quickly)
  • Your damage is a low 27. (You are metaphorically, and literally, attacking things with an axe, without armor)

NOT RECOMMENDED!

-Rhodey

Intentional so beaver is no longer a get-out-of-low-health free card.

For when he changes I can definitely see that. Keeping lowered health on change would be fine in my book. But he is significantly weaker. In all overall terms.

Some of it simply seems odd to me.

Also hello again! Long time!

For when he changes I can definitely see that. Keeping lowered health on change would be fine in my book. But he is significantly weaker. In all overall terms.

Some of it simply seems odd to me.

Also hello again! Long time!

You mean the Old Man and Beaver Power Squad is no more? D:

When you put it like that, it certainly sounds like a buff would be in order.

Maybe just increasing the power level of his attacks.

Not necessarily a buff, but it simply seems he's either not completely implemented or they over-nerfed.

This is simply my opinion.

Simple "fixes" could be:

• Make damage around that of the spear(optional)
    • Not completely weak, not completely strong
  • Make the natural defense something tanked by the log meter
    • AKA most damage is taken by the meter and left over is taken by you
    • All damage WILL remain through and through, changing back and forth, YOU have to heal the wounds
    • It is already a thing when the log meter hits 0, you start taking damage
  • Remove or slow the weather effects more, or find a way to couter act them. (ideas)
    • Jump into a lake when there are no mobs spawning to cool down
    • Curl under objects or the like to heat up
  • Little ways to increase sanity at the cost of the log meter
    • (i have no real ideas on this, the sanity thing could be left unchanged imo)
  • Remove the log meter from Woodie!! Let Lucy be the tell tale sign!!

These are just ideas, so taken with a grain of salt. It's completely understandable, Woodie is supposed to be the survivor, but the werebeaver and Lucy was his thing.

Lucy is kind of useless now, aside from being a good axe that you can always have. You don't even have to listen to her. The log meter is ALWAYS there. What role does she serve now? She used to warn you when you were close to changing but now you can always see when you're about to change.

And now the beaver is kind of, meh. All stated above.

I for one greatly prefer the new rework of Woodie and think it should remain as it is. The only thing I would change about him at all now is the lack of armour the beaver has, even grass suit level armour would be nice.

Right now Woodie is very very good. However with even the slightest change to allow the beaver more survivability would make him perfect.

I for one greatly prefer the new rework of Woodie and think it should remain as it is. The only thing I would change about him at all now is the lack of armour the beaver has, even grass suit level armour would be nice.

Right now Woodie is very very good. However with even the slightest change to allow the beaver more survivability would make him perfect.

Armor on the beaver would be greatly needed. Taking it from the log meter could effectively make it both a thing to control and something to worry about.

I like Woodie himself, simply the beaver bothers me most.

Just one thing on Woodie is the log meter. I feel Lucy should be the sign for that like she always was. I mean she pmuch can teleport to you now.

The rest, stated in last post, is mostly optional ideas.

I think the full moon mechanic should be removed, I barely survived and ended up having 0 sanity by the time i changed back, which was a huge issue as there was no trees around the area.

I think the full moon mechanic should be removed, I barely survived and ended up having 0 sanity by the time i changed back, which was a huge issue as there was no trees around the area.

Why, what happened? Did you keep changing back orrr???

I can understand that long winter moon can be a pain but you can turn back in the middle of the full moon and be fine. Like really early on.

Would be cool if you could wear hats as the werebeaver so you could ether choose between a football helmet or tam o shanter to keep your sanity up.

Yes and no. Maybe only basic things like garlands and the like. Things that could technically fit on the large head. Don't want to make him OP again.

It's a drawback, every character has them, and it makes gameplay more varied and challenging. Woodie is obviously the lumberjack, so living in a treeless area is not a great idea.

To me Woodie is even more boring than before.

He wasn't all that special because with other characters I would just bring armor and a dark sword.

I liked werebeaver because I could manage to stay in that form if I took logs and dodged hits.

It was like a switch into a more combat oriented gameplay.

Now you just have to eat more.

What do I get from being a werebeaver?

Weather resistance? No.

Armor resistance? As of now 25%, like Wigfrid.

Damage buff? No.

Only a medium movement buff and nightvision.

Verdict: play Wigfrid with a cane and a miner's hat.

osmRhodey, it sounds like Werebeaver really does need buffing, though. He should at least have attack power equivalent to what it would be for a standard player in singleplayer. It's a giant beaver biting your face off. Seriously.

I DO agree with you.

Simply I don't wish for it to go horribly overboard to the point it gets lots of hate from other servers and people and then suddenly Woodie becomes the new early beta Willow. So I've been trying to think of ways to get him to work in a way where he can't be abused and can still be fun and playable.

When I last replied, I wasn't disagreeing.

I gave thoughts on what could be in there.

Like I said:  Attack of that like a spear or such, instead of an axe. Along with having the natural defense brought back up but perhaps balancing it with the log meter so you're still taking damage, but not a whole ton.

Perhaps sanity drops faster the lower the meter is, slower when it's high but not full. Etc.

You talk about spear damage, but it's worth noting that in DST, all players do half-damage with their weapons that would normally be done in singleplayer. Let's keep this in mind....I think it should be normal unarmed damage, at the least.

Normal unarmed damage would be 10...that's even less than the 27 the beaver does now

A spear does 34 damage in DST.

Normal Werebeaver in DS did 51 damage, or the same as a tentacle spike.

They had returned the players normal damage many many updates ago. Towards the beginning. Because fighting was horribly difficult. The only thing changed is certain mob health such as giants and tree guards who have more than normal.

More testing done. Apparently he DOES have a natural armor.

But it only seems to apply to the large beasts, treeguards, giants, etc.

Somewhat good to know.

And for those thinking I'm looking to make tank/warrior Beaver bud again, I'm really not. I'm simply looking over certain aspects and what would still make the character enjoyable.

And for the love of all, I would love the log meter not being shown. Lucy talking serves pretty much no purpose now. :-(

Wait weather affects him?
And his damage is lowered? 

I'm ok with all the other changes, but this just makes the beaver kind of useless. Woodie already can tear through trees. No one needs as much wood as the werebeaver can provide (though I guess he can get other resources too).

Bring back higher damage and weather resistance, and I'm fine. He was OP with being able to stay werebeaver for a while and tank things with no consequences, but now he's kind of useless for fighting? And you can't make fires with beaver hands, how are you supposed to resist weather?

Makes no sense. 

I always thought that it supposed to be his curse, not a super-power, so it makes big sense for me.

Drawback for fastest wood-cutting that should be avoided if possible. And maybe for night-survival without fire in rare cases.

in DST, all players do half-damage with their weapons that would normally be done in singleplayer.
 No, all the damage is the same, although PvP damage does get reduced. Some mobs have health multipliers, though, but not all of them, and the multiplier varies (1.5 to 3, excepting the 10 for the Dragonfly).

Wait weather affects him? And his damage is lowered? 
He has heat resistance equivalent to a floral shirt or eyebrella, cold resistance equivalent to a beefalo hat, and now wetness resistance equivalent to an umbrella. His damage is a pathetic 27.2.

Have the log meter tank most of the damage and whatever's left can be applied to health.
I like this idea. If the log meter runs out, you're taking starvation damage AND full damage from whatever's hitting you, so you'd still really want to avoid that. It also gives you a way to kind-of-heal while a werebeaver (something that's pretty much not an option right now).

In terms of the general appeal of the reworked Woodie, I have to agree with @DarkXero. If you look at just the human part of Woodie, his only real perk is being able to chop trees faster (yeah, he's got the small beard, but that technically balances out between winter and summer, and the politeness is hardly worth mentioning). Looking at the Werebeaver side, you get some things for free, and can also chop trees faster, but otherwise is significantly worse than a geared character, with no way to improve. So... the only reason to try to go Werebeaver is to avoid impending weather/night that you didn't prepare for? That's a scenario that I don't plan to ever be in, and if I'm never planning to be in a situation where I would want to use Woodie's perk, I'd never want to use Woodie.

As for how to make the Werebeaver an attractive option without turning it into an unchecked rampaging pillager of worlds, that's tricky. If he was restored to his single-player glory, then that would be a griefer's paradise, for sure. So, before, the Werebeaver was good for... chopping, mining, demolishing, fighting, tanking, weather/night, and definitely bad for collecting, exploring, and building. It's still good for chopping, mining, and night, and it's decent for weather. Obviously we can't make it good for demolishing or fighting without crossing over into griefer facilitation, but we could make it better at tanking. The two main ways I can think of doing that would be to use the log meter as health again (ideally with as much or more absorption than before, considering his attacks are feeble now), and/or giving him some way to pull aggro (right-click an enemy?).

Or... they could do something really crazy and give him a new ability, like making "dams" that function as bridges between nearby pieces of land (maybe using up a bunch of log meter to do this). The underlying map tech doesn't really support this, but if they revamped it to support it, that would be really awesome, and give everyone a real reason to have Woodie on the team.

Archived