Don't Starve: Pocket Edition Coming to iPad

dsipad.png

Don't Starve: Pocket Edition Coming To iPad!
If you missed our sneaky announcement on our new Instagram account, fear not. It's official. Don't Starve: Pocket Edition is coming to iPad Thursday, July 9th for $4.99 USD.

Don’t Starve: Pocket Edition, brings the hit PC game enjoyed by over 4 million players to the iPad. Now you can experience the uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic on the go!

Optimized for Touch:
Don't Starve: Pocket Edition is packed with everything you've come to love in Don't Starve on the PC, including the Reign of Giants content! We've also created a new intuitive touch interface lets you explore, fight, craft and manage inventory with ease.

Since we don't have an app page until the game goes live, we've created a special page at http://DontStarveGame.com/iPad that will update once the game is live.

Requires at least an iPad 3, or iPad mini 2 - also requires iOS 8 and up

I dreamt of this... like 2 days ago O__O

no seriously...

My friend was badgering me why DS wasn't on IPads and mobile devices... as if I could make it happen T__T

Time to rub this on his face now O__O

(Thanks Klei)

(Don't Starve is everywhere!! this is awesome!! also... android!! pls pls pls pls...)

So...
  • ...old font?
  • The ancient pseudoscience station and its crafting tab?
  • movement (moving around)?

Also, answering in Esperanto would be a plus O__O

It is out already!!!

ANY FIRST IMPRESSIONS?

I don't own an iPad but i will definitely buy iPad just for this. Maybe someone with iPad Mini 3 can write how it plays? That is the one i want to buy.

I am so exited about this!

The game seams to be crashing on my iPad Retina at day 5. 
It freezes no matter what I do after 10 seconds and then just crashes.

I tried to restart the iPad but to no avail.

Does anyone experience the same issue?

• Developer

The game seams to be crashing on my iPad Retina at day 5. 

It freezes no matter what I do after 10 seconds and then just crashes.

I tried to restart the iPad but to no avail.

Does anyone experience the same issue?

May I ask what you have been doing in the game up until that point?

What is on the screen when it is crashing?

Did you change your World Settings from the default?

NOTE: Requires at least an iPad 3, or iPad mini 2 - also requires iOS 7 and up

I'm trying to purchase this for my iPad 3 on iOS 7 but it keeps saying I need iOS 8 or higher.

I'm trying to purchase this for my iPad 3 on iOS 7 but it keeps saying I need iOS 8 or higher.

Sorry about that, there was typo on our original post and has been corrected - Don't Starve: Pocket Edition requires iOS 8 and up.

Please make it compatible with ios 7. Seriously, did you even try using ipad 3 with ios 8 installed? Even ipad air 1 is laggy with ios 8. What exactly does this game require which is not in ios 7?

Please make it compatible with ios 7. Seriously, did you even try using ipad 3 with ios 8 installed? Even ipad air 1 is laggy with ios 8. What exactly does this game require which is not in ios 7?

How about instead of complaining about your outdated iPad you just grateful that you can play ​Oh wait, you can't 

Since this is happening: http://toucharcade.com/2015/07/09/play-dont-starve-pocket-edition-on-your-iphone/

Is there any future possibility of it being made universal?

Obviously not a dev here but going to throw my unsolicited two cents at you anyway.

The game was made for iPad, and even though it can be modified to play on iPhones, it is not optimized for that small screen. Thus, the overall experience will probably be lacking, yet the "hackers" will likely be satisfied because the alternative is no DS. However, the majority of players spending $4.99 for a game like that would complain, and rightly so

This looks pretty sweet, I might pick it up. The price is certainly great.

Question for the devs though, any plans to port this new touch interface over to PC? I'm got a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, and would love to be able to play Don't Starve on it with that new interface, rather than the slightly awkward way I currently do.

I know DS PE requires iPad Mini 2 and up, but if you play on iPad Mini 1 is it straight up unplayable? I wouldn't mind the lag, and I wouldn't mind the crashes if it was at least playable. Thanks

Played it for a number of hours yesterday.

I used to play the PC version a long time ago (I stopped before winter was added) and this is my first time playing since.

Overall, it's really well done with good controls (the main thing I was concerned about before I bought it). I love the green interact button in the upper right, which lets you smoothly do multiple types of actions without lots of individual "clicks" (for example, when pressing and holding, it will chop down a tree and pick up all logs and pine cones afterwards).

Runs smoothly with the exception of it freezing for a second or two when saving.

No problems with crashes for me, though the game has closed a few times after jumping out to read something on a web browser and then returning (which made me lose my progress for the day). I don't know if that's an iOS thing or if it can be helped. If this can't be fixed, it's best to look up stuff at the start of each day right after a save (or save it yourself before using a different app).

I've had two accidental deaths and I'm not sure what caused it. Both times happened when I accidentally attacked beefalo. I think the first time happened when I was trying to pick up manure and the second time after I returned to the same location to pick up stuff after my previous death. I was sure that I was holding down the green interact button to pick everything up but I somehow attacked again and got killed again. I need to test it but wonder if it's due to a "click" going through the greyed out interact button and attacking beefalo behind it(?). It would be nice if there was a toggle of some sort for attacks when touching mobs.

Something else that happened (not sure if it's a bug) is that I didn't get my prototype when making the crock pot. I don't know if I got it but accidentally placed it in the same location as the science machine (it vanished if it did) or my inventory was full (it could have been) or if it just never appeared. Afterwards, it unlocked the crock pot but I had to gather the mats for it again.

I've had two accidental deaths and I'm not sure what caused it. Both times happened when I accidentally attacked beefalo. I think the first time happened when I was trying to pick up manure and the second time after I returned to the same location to pick up stuff after my previous death. I was sure that I was holding down the green interact button to pick everything up but I somehow attacked again and got killed again. I need to test it but wonder if it's due to a "click" going through the greyed out interact button and attacking beefalo behind it(?). It would be nice if there was a toggle of some sort for attacks when touching mobs.

Its possible that the beefalos were "in heat" (aka they're breeding) and you can't really go near them without getting attacked. They have a red butt while this happens

Archived