Grieving players should be present, but defeatable.

Grieving players exist. That is the way it is, AND SHOULD BE.

But you cannot defeat them, making pvp utterly pointless.

I don't mind that people have different ideas of how to play the game, it's my own job to counter potential grievers... The problem is rather that I do not seem to have a proper way of dealing with hostile players!

Even if I kill them they turn into ghosts that I cannot remove. This is a needed function to bring back friends from the dead, but I need a way to remove or expell ghosts from my base if I dont want them. If not they are essentially a mob that cannot be defeated.

How about a magic item that block ghosts from entering a certain radius? I could block ghosts from coming through if I make a perimeter of these "ghost wards", thus protecting myself from grievers I've killed.

This would allow grievers to be the enemy/mob in the game if they so desire, but still allows others to defeat them for real.

Hope I haven't double posted. Also this is my first post in the forums, I love don't starve and hope I get to meet and play with some you fellow survivalists. :)

No offense in anyway, but this should not be a thing. Klei needs to focus on the developement of DST, rebalancing, and bugfixes Klei is not responsible for anything that goes on in a server in DST. And if someone is griefing, its best to either leave the server or Ignore them. As you have said is that griefing does revolve around every player base, however adding new stuff isn't a plausible alternative, because players with ALWAYS find a way to grief.

But your idea does sound intriging and I applaud your creativity. :)

No offense in anyway, but this should not be a thing. Klei needs to focus on the developement of DST, rebalancing, and bugfixes Klei is not responsible for anything that goes on in a server in DST. And if someone is griefing, its best to either leave the server or Ignore them. As you have said is that griefing does revolve around every player base, however adding new stuff isn't a plausible alternative, because players with ALWAYS find a way to grief.

But your idea does sound intriging and I applaud your creativity. :-)

This should be part of rebalancing, as ghosts right now are literally unstoppable griefers. Players can be hostile and dumb at will, but giving them a tool like this is just a terrible idea and needs to be rethought.

Something else I think should be balanced in PVP is Wigfrid. She starts with a weapon and armor and can just start killing players right off the bat on day 1. PVP should either be disabled on day 1 or Wigfrid should not start with equipment on the first day.

How about a magic item that block ghosts from entering a certain radius? I could block ghosts from coming through if I make a perimeter of these "ghost wards", thus protecting myself from grievers I've killed.

Ive already suggested this here http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/52207-repurpose-the-nightlight-for-anti-griefing/.  The gist of the post is to repurpose the night light for exactly what you are asking for.  The point being is I personally see the nightlight as a garbage structure that never gets built and provides terrible light.  So why not rework what it does and give it a function in Together.

But yeah man I agree with you, we need some sort of ward cuase otherwise ghosts are permanent threats that can't be dealt with.

While I haven't had much experience with greviers, I really like this idea! The only concern I have is people abusing it by putting a ward over or around touchstones and the portal.

The ghost ward could prevent ghosts from haunting things (except for revival objects) instead of entering the area, this would prevent ghosts from getting trapped or stuck.

Ive already suggested this here http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/52207-repurpose-the-nightlight-for-anti-griefing/.  The gist of the post is to repurpose the night light for exactly what you are asking for.  The point being is I personally see the nightlight as a garbage structure that never gets built and provides terrible light.  So why not rework what it does and give it a function in Together.

But yeah man I agree with you, we need some sort of ward cuase otherwise ghosts are permanent threats that can't be dealt with.

Currently, in DST I would agree that NightLight is worthless.  However, in single-player Ruin bases I have found it extremely handy to have.  I think that may be it's only beneficial use as there is so much nightmare fuel laying around down there.

Currently, in DST I would agree that NightLight is worthless.  However, in single-player Ruin bases I have found it extremely handy to have.  I think that may be it's only beneficial use as there is so much nightmare fuel laying around down there.
Doesn't it like have a insanity aura? Unless your saying it's cheap to fuel in the ruins and the insanity aura doesn't matter.

Grieving players exist.

Grieving Players? Comfort them!

(jk)

But you cannot defeat them, making pvp utterly pointless.

You can, if you get the right amount of Skill in PvP (which I lack thereof).

I don't mind that people have different ideas of how to play the game, it's my own job to counter potential grievers... The problem is rather that I do not seem to have a proper way of dealing with hostile players!

To deal with a hostile player, you have to defend yourself, and no, swinging hoping you hit doesn't count. I mean, use your weapons wisely, as in, use staves, bee mines, tooth traps, killer bees, pigs, spiders, don't hold on to your spear and hope that if you just "swing" it'll knock them out, actually attack with force! Forces that are hard to defeat alone.

Even if I kill them they turn into ghosts that I cannot remove. This is a needed function to bring back friends from the dead, but I need a way to remove or expell ghosts from my base if I dont want them. If not they are essentially a mob that cannot be defeated.

Endless or Wilderness. Both work wonders at preventing this sort of stuff, especially Wilderness, there's a "no ghost rule in that gamemode.

This would allow grievers to be the enemy/mob in the game if they so desire, but still allows others to defeat them for real.

Actually, this has been recommended several times, I'd like Klei to actually do this.

Hope I haven't double posted. Also this is my first post in the forums, I love don't starve and hope I get to meet and play with some you fellow survivalists.

P.S Welcome to the forums. 

But what should the ward be?

I've been imagining a totem of some sort that requires some type of fuel to keep the barrier going, ghosts can haunt this barrier to drain a small amount of the fuel from the totem. If the totem is powered while a Ghost is inside its effective range it is pushed back. 

The OP's idea is the exact same one I proposed last week in another thread.

There should also be an upgraded ("luxury") version that negates the sanity drain from ghosts. Call it a "dream catcher" and make it require wood, reeds and a red gem.

(Or make the dream catcher a wearable item for the head slot, so if you're sitting in the base next to the ghost ward and wearing a dream catcher you're essentially immune to ghosts.)

In my opinion, it's the people you kill that end up trying to grief as a ghost.  Just remember that whatever changes they make... the pvp'ers and griefers will have access to them also.

What will those people do when they can't try to get revenge as a ghost?

In my opinion, it's the people you kill that end up trying to grief as a ghost.  Just remember that whatever changes they make... the pvp'ers and griefers will have access to them also.

What will those people do when they can't try to get revenge as a ghost?

Hopefully they will leave the server?

Grieving players exist. That is the way it is, AND SHOULD BE.

Ekhm.. Why? There is no reason whatsoever for griefers to exsist. Whole grief issue in don't starve it's just bad side effect of how game is constructed, as it's fully coop game with pvp being just addition in the most simplistic form possible (point and click to attack*) and most servers do not even bother turning pvp on.

Griefers in coop game like don't starve are no different from people doing friendly fire on purpose in games like l4d, with exception that in l4d you can actually vote to kick them. It's basically pointless toxicity that has no purpose other than to annoy people.

*I actually support pvp not being developed further becuase this game is awesome as coop and should stay that way.

Archived