Does it make sense to put a blatantly underpowered character in DST? I understand that he's supposed to be a challenge for experienced players in DS, but in DST he just ends up being an inferior and much less viable choice that few people will even pick. It would really benefit the game if he was on par with the rest, and since Klei cares so much about balancing Willow, I don't see why Wes shouldn't be balanced, too.

Suggestions:

-Remove the increased hunger multiplier

-Make balloons guaranteed to distract enemies, even if they are aggro'd to the player

-(Optional) Make him immune to balloon damage

This would make the Pile o' Balloons and Wes actually useful and not completely change how he works.

Jesus damn, NO.

Does it make sense to put a blatantly underpowered character in DST?

Yes.

If you don't want to use Wes because you aren't hardcore enough to be credit to team despite all his hardcomings then use Wigfrid.

Wes is hardmode. Discussion over.

I understand that he's supposed to be a challenge for experienced players in DS

This would make the Pile o' Balloons and Wes actually useful and not completely change how he works.

You do not have to pick Wes. You do not have to cater to the people who pick Wes. If you don't understand Wes that's fine but there's absolutely no reason to petition to make Wes useless without him being a challenge. Mods are the answer, friend.

You do not have to pick Wes. You do not have to cater to the people who pick Wes. If you don't understand Wes that's fine but there's absolutely no reason to petition to make Wes useless without him being a challenge. Mods are the answer, friend.

This..There are plenty of other characters to play. Wes is aimed at those who want to challenge themselves. Stop asking for everything to be buffed because you are averse to challenge.

And yet another example of singleplayer vs co-op. For singleplayer, it may be fun to play an absurdly underpowered character, but not for co-op. You're supposed to be working together and by being the weakest link, you're not working together, you're just hurting your team. Sorry, but I still vote for LAN in Don't Starve for singleplayer balance and having Don't Starve Together be balanced for co-op and PvP. I mean really, someone playing Wes with me so they can eat the food that's already hard to get because of the amount of players in the server? Yeah no thanks, this game continues to works against itself.

by being the weakest link, you're not working together, you're just hurting your team

I could play as Wes and be 999999999999% more helpful than your typical noob with Wigfrid or Webber.

I can get food by my own just fine. I will give you 2 meaty stews and get 2 more for me.

Or are you going to complain about people who pick Wolfgang and then they eat all the food to stay mighty all the time when they don't really need to, so therefore we have to make Wolfgang have Wilson's hunger ratio? Because morons?

Or the Wickerbottoms/Willows/Wendys that just stay in base and drain resources while they tidy it up, providing absolutely no assets in return?

No point here. If somebody picks Wes and sucks, then they should pick another character.

If you want to play Wes, then you better know how to pull your weight.

If you have no fun playing Wes, then don't play it. Other people do enjoy him.

I could play as Wes and be 999999999999% more helpful than your typical noob with Wigfrid or Webber.

I can get food by my own just fine. I will give you 2 meaty stews and get 2 more for me.

Or are you going to complain about people who pick Wolfgang and then they eat all the food to stay mighty all the time when they don't really need to, so therefore we have to make Wolfgang have Wilson's hunger ratio? Because morons?

Or the Wickerbottoms/Willows/Wendys that just stay in base and drain resources while they tidy it up, providing absolutely no assets in return?

No point here. If somebody picks Wes and sucks, then they should pick another character.

If you want to play Wes, then you better know how to pull your weight.

If you have no fun playing Wes, then don't play it. Other people do enjoy him.

And you'd be more helpful playing a different character and if we were to ever die, I'd blame you for it. By playing Wes and knowing that he's far worse than other characters, you're essentially griefing. Sorry, that's just the way I think of it, both for co-op and PvP.

you're essentially griefing. Sorry, that's just the way I think of it, both for co-op and PvP.

1.How do you even grief in PvP. Destroying things so that your opponents can't get them is a part of pvp in don't starve together

2. You're not griefing by picking a character that has worse stats compared to another. Wes is suppose to be harder, No character needs to have the same stats/starting items/buffs. I can't think of any character that actually needs to be buffed/nerfed

And you'd be more helpful playing a different character and if we were to ever die, I'd blame you for it.

This is the scrub tier mentality of League of Legends players in Bronze V.

"MAN WE LOST, SCREW THE SUPPORT GUY, HE DIDN'T KILL ANYONE, WAY TO GO PICKING SONA".

Do you play League of Legends?

If true then, do you rage at people who do not pick the Flavor of the Month ranked champion according to the meta?

I will now have to ban you from all games because you would be more helpful being a different player, and if we were to ever die, it would be your fault, somehow. No, not somehow. Definitely. You bring all of your teams down. Sucks to suck.

It's your choice:

a) You can blame a guy for picking Wes

b) You can blame a guy FOR HIS ACTIONS, after picking Wes

1.How do you even grief in PvP. Destroying things so that your opponents can't get them is a part of pvp in don't starve together

If my friend got on as Wes to team up with me in PvP, I'd consider him a griefer. Also you can grief in PvP, which is why admins ban players who burn everything and destroy bases. The only way to prevent griefing in PvP without the intervention of admins, is to have some sort of protection on your server. I did that to my server since I don't believe in banning players because of poor PvP mechanics. Your idea of DST PvP isn't even enjoyed by hardcore PvP players like me.

2. You're not griefing by picking a character that has worse stats compared to another. Wes is suppose to be harder, No character needs to have the same stats/starting items/buffs. I can't think of any character that actually needs to be buffed/nerfed

Not only does he have the worst stats, but also has his hunger drain more than usual. It reminds me of Heroes of the Storm, where people pick the most crappiest hero in the game, say that they're good with them, then waste my 30 minutes of my time only to clearly lose. I'm all for new characters in DST, but if they're going to stick with singleplayer mechanics, they should of just added LAN to the original game and not even bothered with DST.

This is the scrub tier mentality of League of Legends players in Bronze V.

"MAN WE LOST, SCREW THE SUPPORT GUY, HE DIDN'T KILL ANYONE, WAY TO GO PICKING SONA".

Do you play League of Legends?

If true then, do you rage at people who do not pick the Flavor of the Month ranked champion according to the meta?

I will now have to ban you from all games because you would be more helpful being a different player, and if we were to ever die, it would be your fault, somehow. No, not somehow. Definitely. You bring all of your teams down. Sucks to suck.

It's your choice:

a) You can blame a guy for picking Wes

b) You can blame a guy FOR HIS ACTIONS, after picking Wes

You intentionally ruin my percentage of winning/surviving by making a poor decision and you're going to somehow turn the blame to me? Really? You can think what you want, but I'm the LoL/HoTS player who speaks his mind calmly and once someone begins to curse me out and no longer act like a reasonable person, I then report them and have the devs correct their attitude. It's unfortunate that they won’t stop them from griefing, but that's what it means to have freedom so I'll respect it.

There is nothing wrong with truth, you playing a clearly terrible character/hero/champion reduces my chances of winning/surviving significantly. Who do you think you are that you're going to make everyone else on the team suffer because of your upbeat attitude. In Dota games I've seen it all too many times when people pick a bad hero/champion, "trust me I'm good with him or her" and then we lose. You can play however you want when you're NOT playing with other players. Just like you can play a bad character, I can also burn our base down, but you see that doesn't help us both in anyway.

But don't worry, I still welcome Wes in my server, he's perfect for Meaty Stews. :grin:

And you'd be more helpful playing a different character and if we were to ever die, I'd blame you for it. By playing Wes and knowing that he's far worse than other characters, you're essentially griefing. Sorry, that's just the way I think of it, both for co-op and PvP.

I'm not a Wes player, but: I think it'd be great to see a team of Wes-only work together and make an awesome server. Or a Wes team kill everyone in a PvP server. Make Wes easier, and that challenge goes away. 

I'd like Wes to be unlockable, like he was in single player. At least it took some effort to get to play him.

Not sure why you quoted me with this.

I'm not a Wes player, but: I think it'd be great to see a team of Wes-only work together and make an awesome server. Or a Wes team kill everyone in a PvP server. Make Wes easier, and that challenge goes away. 

I'd like Wes to be unlockable, like he was in single player. At least it took some effort to get to play him.

And the playerbase continues to ask for singleplayer with LAN/private server support. Klei needs to make two separate games, that's clear as day.

The only time I can see Wes being a problem is if you have a very limited number of players (4) and you for some reason are on a public server (somehow). With only 4 players, having Wes would mean missing out on books, helmets/spears, super torches, or... Uuuuuh. Something else I guess. Easy access to beard hairs/silk? Or a spider den murdering ghost. But if it's a private server just tell your friend to pick someone else, if it's s public server, you're out of luck. But no one runs a public server with only 4 people anyways.

All in all, if someone picks Wes they're probably good enough to play him. Any noob that picks him would have been just as much of a problem without picking him, the only difference is they'll die a few minutes sooner. But they probably won't pick him anyways!

TLDR: Wes is fine, as is. Pros won't be daunted and noobs would've died anyways.

Also you can grief in PvP, which is why admins ban players who burn everything and destroy bases. 

Not only does he have the worst stats, but also has his hunger drain more than usual.

1. You literally can't grief in a game about fighting other players, What are you suppose to do when you find a stockpile of food in an ice fridge "O NO IF I TAK IT, I'LL BE A GRIEFER" you're suppose to burn stuff down such as bases to either stop other people from using it or to drive out the people living in it. Admins ban players who destroy bases because they're poor sports and/or don't understand pvp

2. You still do realize any character can bring in more food then they're consuming, if your server is having hunger problems, Someone isn't pulling their weight.

1. You literally can't grief in a game about fighting other players, What are you suppose to do when you find a stockpile of food in an ice fridge "O NO IF I TAK IT, I'LL BE A GRIEFER" you're suppose to burn stuff down such as bases to either stop other people from using it or to drive out the people living in it. Admins ban players who destroy bases because they're poor sports and/or don't understand pvp

Currently that is how it is, but that's because the game isn't finished yet. As of now, the developers have done very little into balancing and polishing the game out. Instead they're adding what's still missing from the game. As of right now, in vanilla DST PvP, it's near impossible to own a base and build it up which contradicts the core mechanics of the game. Someone who takes hours building a base can have it burn to a crisp by a newb player and not be able to do a single thing about it. That is not PvP, but rather improper balance which I'm pretty sure that it'll eventually change.

2. You still do realize any character can bring in more food then they're consuming, if your server is having hunger problems, Someone isn't pulling their weight.

That's true, but he's more likely to die which can take away resources from your team drastically when done enough times.

Currently that is how it is, but that's because the game isn't finished yet. As of now, the developers have done very little into balancing and polishing the game out. Instead they're adding what's still missing from the game. As of right now, in vanilla DST PvP, it's near impossible to own a base and build it up which contradicts the core mechanics of the game. Someone who takes hours building a base can have it burn to a crisp by a newb player and not be able to do a single thing about it. That is not PvP, but rather improper balance which I'm pretty sure that it'll eventually change.

Off topic...

That makes no sense. Better players do better than worse players regardless of the character they are using. Also, using Wes is not griefing.

Stop with the balance nonsense. Games are supposed to CHALLENGE people. Imagine if during sports games, hockey or basketball, they would stop constantly to "balance" the teams. That would be retarded.

The only things that should be balanced, and have been, are things that destroy the challenge of a single player game made multi-player, like Willow's lighter.

Why was it nerfed? Grief possibilities aside? ... Simple, if that lighter was unlimited you'd have absoutely no real reason to work with others.

Wes by his very nature must work with with others in this game.

Archived