I'm going back to singleplayer

I am not a programmer so I am not sure how hard this is... but simply make a PVE-mode and PVP-mode. In PVE no one can attack other players and no craftable items can be set on fire, except walls. PVP, everything (except hacking of course) goes, baby.

If you were a true PvPer, you'd know that an everything goes scenario is a terrible idea. There needs to be balance, just as much as co-op needs balance. In fact, the reason DST was created was for the game to be balance for multiplayer, not singleplayer.

If you were a true PvPer, you'd know that an everything goes scenario is a terrible idea. There needs to be balance, just as much as co-op needs balance. In fact, the reason DST was created was for the game to be balance for multiplayer, not singleplayer.

PVP in a game based on survival and the acquisition of resources automatically means you must be able to rob, or destroy your enemies resources and him yours. That's balance. If a person in PVP joins earlier than others and is able to build a more or less invulnerable structure, that's not balance at all. That would make the game totally unbalanced.

You need to think. Go large and become visible, therefore making yourself an easy target? But have plenty of resources, or, stay hidden (individually or a group), stay small and gather more resources.

Which one?

That's a game.

There needs to be balance, balance for multiplayer.

Chess is multiplayer, tell me what would you turn all chess pieces into pawns? Would that make sense to you? Or, does the player matter? The better player should always, always win against the weaker player.

Resources in this game are the same for everyone. The map is open to everyone. Where will you go? What will you get and how will you use it?

Use your brain. That's the point.

PVP in a game based on survival and the acquisition of resources automatically means you must be able to rob, or destroy your enemies resources and him yours. That's balance. If a person in PVP joins earlier than others and is able to build a more or less invulnerable structure, that's not balance at all. That would make the game totally unbalanced.

You need to think. Go large and become visible, therefore making yourself an easy target? But have plenty of resources, or, stay hidden (individually or a group), stay small and gather more resources.

Which one?

That's a game.

As much as I want to have a constructive argument with you, you're really making it difficult. You keep talking about invulnerable structures and I've still have yet to mention that whatsoever. I don't really know who you're arguing with that invulnerability concept, but it's definitely not with me. Why I'm being quoted and talked to about it, is really beyond me. What I'm trying to say is a new player shouldn't be able to destroy and loot your base without you being able to do a single thing about it until late game. Traps don't trigger, chests can't be locked, there are no gates for doors, and bases can burn within seconds.

There needs to be nerfs and a higher difficulty of looting and destroying a base. That does not mean that the base should be invulnerable as I've already mentioned, but more difficult to destroy and loot from. If you don't understand what I'm talking about then you've never played PvP. Also go do what you think is part of PvP on a server and watch how fast you'll be banned from it because your idea is unacceptable to practically all PvP servers.

Chess is multiplayer, tell me what would you turn all chess pieces into pawns? Would that make sense to you? Or, does the player matter? The better player should always, always win against the weaker player.

Resources in this game are the same for everyone. The map is open to everyone. Where will you go? What will you get and how will you use it?

Use your brain. That's the point.

You're comparing Don't Starve characters to chess pieces. Sorry but your analogies are extremely horrible that I don't even know where to start. If you feel like you made a point, then lets just leave it at that. However from what I'm seeing is that you're trying very hard to make sense into something that simply doesn't.

As much as I want to have a constructive argument with you, you're really making it difficult. You keep talking about invulnerable structures and I've still have yet to mention that whatsoever. I don't really know who you're arguing with that invulnerability concept, but it's definitely not with me. Why I'm being quoted and talked to about it, is really beyond me. What I'm trying to say is a new player shouldn't be able to destroy and loot your base without you being able to do a single thing about it until late game. Traps don't trigger, chests can't be locked, there are no gates for doors, and bases can burn within seconds.

There needs to be nerfs and a higher difficulty of looting and destroying a base. That does not mean that the base should be invulnerable as I've already mentioned, but more difficult to destroy and loot from. If you don't understand what I'm talking about then you've never played PvP. Also go do what you think is part of PvP on a server and watch how fast you'll be banned from it because your idea is unacceptable to practically all PvP servers.

You're comparing Don't Starve characters to chess pieces. Sorry but your analogies are extremely horrible that I don't even know where to start. If you feel like you made a point, then lets just leave it at that. However from what I'm seeing is that you're trying very hard to make sense into something that simply doesn't.

And what I'm trying to say is that I do not agree with you and think that your idea will lead to total imbalnce between new players and veteran players. 

Never been banned and I let the same things happen on on my server. The only way for you to survive longer than the others is to deprive them of their safety and resources. The best way to kill someone in DST is not by one on one fights, but, by destroying their chances of survival altogether. Yes, I do think that's how DST PVP should be.

All gaming characters are like chess pieces.

sorry didn't read every post, but wanted to give the thread owner a suggestion in playing public DST

There are just too many thieves, griefers and trolls that are ruining the game for everyone, and there is no CENTRAL system to report and punish them

1. Just become better in playing then others (or join server with better latency and server power). If you love the game, you will become better

2. Never use out your skills to kill or steal from others for your own gain

3. Stick together in a community (playing in public server you usually are not alone). Means don't ignore the others bad doings - even if they meant to player you don't know (but be rational and don't be tricked by lies of the 'police'-griefers ;-)

If these 3 points will be concerned by the majority, griefers won't ve a chance in long term. So easy it is. Points 3 implies also that the super mega ultra pro gamers should welcome the normal player in their bases :-)

Klei can also introduce a rating system, shouldn't be so impossible at all. 1., for how noobish a player is (how many days average survived without got killed), 2. how many player he/she has killed per playing time. This information can be (optionally) downloaded from every private server using an API/mod or option. Then the player can see others player stats across the world they are currently playing. Player can have the decision to hide or to not let collect these information.

Isosurface provided a good mod called Ownership which protects you from griefers for the most part. Also there is a 'Simple Protection' mod. Install and configure these two to your liking. I'm running a dedicated server with these mods and had no problems with griefers and thieves whatsoever.

Also if you're playing on a server without these mods, hide your chests behind the densely packed trees so that you could only spot them by rotating the camera. This helps, somewhat.

I think y'all could learn a lesson or two from Riot Games and their flagship product, League of Legends. Knowing that multiplayer games attract all kinds of toxic people, they made the conscious decision to take a hard stance against such players from the beginning. I played that game for a long time, and one of the things I liked the most about it is that trolls and griefers and generally mean people got probated and eventually banned via a very robust tribunal system.

1.)

"The League of Legends"-Tribunal is a lie... it has been offline for more than 20 months. Now there is an automated system which does not work very well - trolls don't fear anything and people changing their behaviour often have no chance to get rid of streaks of ranked-game-bans.

FYI: back in the days the client showed a "leave"-status in champion-select. I and everyone I know left champ select when a player had a higher leave-rate than 50:1 (100:1). This probably caused a lot of games not to be started and tons of support tickets from leavers who could not start a game... They changed it to be only shown post-game. I put all of them on ignore list (leavers[griefers] are repeat offenders - i know it and you know it, too). They removed that "feature"... Now you have now way to deal with leavers/afk'ers - happens at least forty percent of the time. In the end this will finally be the end of player base growth (probably this has already happened - new players have to play vs alts most of the time and get flamed for their lack of skill, when toxic players act obvious they often claim to have several other accs to troll with which is pretty credible)

2.)

PVP in survival games on public servers: will never work because less than one percent of players can destroy the game experience for all others -those games will inevitably die out (e.g. DayZ).

I think its a different twist to the game that has its fun moments but the general idea of this game does not profit by pvp, it suffers from it. That is why it does not work well on public servers. Opposite to games like WoW where getting pk'ed is just a minor annoyance in DS it is easy to lose everything to a troll who just intends to create a bad experience for others (justifying it is a part of the game/ way to play)

3.)

Blacklists! Server Groups are a similar idea but I'd prefer blacklisting people so i could ban them before generating my world. (Probably I would prefer this because i would love the opportunity to block them for other games as well. If people behave totally retarded in this game they will do in others, too. I will never spend my RL time with people like that neither i want to spend my game time with this. Sadly steam VAC-ban is not used very often, dont know if it works on non-valve-titles. One could argue that gave steam way too much power but tbh i have never seen proof of an unjustified vac-ban. Probably this only happens when violations happen repeatedly with good proof.

The more i think of it "trusted groups" could be a feature that other games should use, too (would serve the same purpose like blacklists, hehe).

Maybe i have gone far too offtopic, just some thoughts

Archived