I'm going back to singleplayer

Sorry Klei, but this DST thing just isn't working. There are just too many thieves, griefers and trolls that are ruining the game for everyone, and there is no CENTRAL system to report and punish them. Even if they get banned from one server, there's still hundreds of others they can join and piss on, and that's exactly what they do.

It's ironic because non-PVP modes in DST are supposed to be cooperative (hence the word "Together" in the game title), yet I find myself not trusting anyone aside from a few whose name I recognize from past games. Instead of playing with groups, I hang out by myself and always look for a secluded spot on the map that random people are unlikely to stumble upon. Because you see, after I invest several hours into a game, the last thing I want is some idiot coming in and torching everything, or stealing my hard-earned items.

I think y'all could learn a lesson or two from Riot Games and their flagship product, League of Legends. Knowing that multiplayer games attract all kinds of toxic people, they made the conscious decision to take a hard stance against such players from the beginning. I played that game for a long time, and one of the things I liked the most about it is that trolls and griefers and generally mean people got probated and eventually banned via a very robust tribunal system.

Instead, you expect people to run and police their own DST servers. This attitude might result in less work for you right now, but mark my words: it is going to sink this game in the long run.

Earlier this evening I reinstalled singleplayer, and holy hell, I had forgotten how nice it is. I could finally enjoy the game without worrying about who was going to come and ruin it and when. So I made the decision to uninstall DST, and I don't think I'm going to look back.

Sorry, it's a nice experiment and the gameplay is really fun, but you need to put a lot more thought into the social aspects of it and implement reporting and punishment systems if you want it to be successful in the long term.

Peace out.

You know, you could make a LAN game and play it like single player... there's a ton more stuff here now (expect the caves and ruins... which is a lot)

Or just play with friends... that's all there is to it... play with people you know... or play with people who you know aren't grievers...

That's all there is to it... unless of course we make KRAMPUS THE POLICE OF DON'T STARVE... (shameless flagging I know O__O)

P.S. You don't need to make a post about it and bring other people down... you could just not play it... or could have phrased it better so it won't give other people the wrong idea and also leave the game...

We will be providing more tools for people to police their own servers and providing more resources to help people find games that they will find enjoyable, but we don't have any intention on telling people how they should run their servers.

Right now, the public server experience is not what we would like it to be, and we intend on addressing that as we move toward official release. We have some changes that we are working on that we still fleshing out, and we will post more info on that here before too long. 

However, private games are very enjoyable, and the majority of DST players are playing in private games. It would be super easy for us to adversely affect private (as well as public) games for the sake of making public games safer, and we want to limit that as much as possible. (See our early attempt with Willow) 

We could easily make changes that would severely hinder a persons ability to affect other players. But, mistakes and accidentally burning everything down or otherwise making a stupid mistake is part of the game, and we really want to be careful how we approach these things. 

To put it simply, the person who runs the server should decide the rules of that server and how to enforce it. And players should be able to find servers that they would enjoy playing on. It is our intention to do what we can to facilitate that as best we can. 

Thanks for the feedback, hopefully you will give it another chance after release. 

However, private games are very enjoyable, and the majority of DST players are playing in private games. It would be super easy for us to adversely affect private (as well as public) games for the sake of making public games safer, and we want to limit that as much as possible. (See our early attempt with Willow) 

Every part of this paragraph makes me happy! 

Earlier this evening I reinstalled singleplayer, and holy hell, I had forgotten how nice it is. I could finally enjoy the game without worrying about who was going to come and ruin it and when. So I made the decision to uninstall DST, and I don't think I'm going to look back.

You also forgot horrible server lag that makes trying to kite enemies a living hell.

Right now, the public server experience is not what we would like it to be, and we intend on addressing that as we move toward official release. We have some changes that we are working on that we still fleshing out, and we will post more info on that here before too long.

How bout removing the destructive powers of ghosts and leaving the neutral stuff and making ghost sanity drain to effect players who are close to the dead player, also don't forget to remove Woodie's ability to destroy player made structures.

Edit : Don't hurt me pls.

I find this well written and I can relate, now I barely talk to others since saying hi often results in a "where are you" "where's the base", often meaning that I'll have to deal with a very dependent player, and I also try hard to settle in a very isolated place so as not to be griefed...But I still manage to meet some nice players even if it's rare, and I don't forget that it is still beta. Please try again when dst is complete OP.

So... don't remove the destructive powers of ghosts?

Affecting sanity would certainly be better than what they can do now, but I still wanna see more helpful ghosts. It's kinda tricky I guess, because if you make ghosts too helpful, a strategy will be to kill yourself in order to get your group/partners ahead then revive (given how easy it is).

K. Bye. See you when the game is done.

We could easily make changes that would severely hinder a persons ability to affect other players. But, mistakes and accidentally burning everything down or otherwise making a stupid mistake is part of the game, and we really want to be careful how we approach these things. 
I just love this quote. I think I may frame it.

How bout removing the destructive powers of ghosts and leaving the neutral stuff and making ghost sanity drain to effect players who are close to the dead player, also don't forget to remove Woodie's ability to destroy player made structures.
and we will post more info on that here before too long. 
TL;DR : SoonTM

Affecting sanity would certainly be better than what they can do now, but I still wanna see more helpful ghosts. It's kinda tricky I guess, because if you make ghosts too helpful, a strategy will be to kill yourself in order to get your group/partners ahead then revive (given how easy it is).
This is why I subbed to you and comment a lot on your dst videos. :3 ♥ 

I think y'all could learn a lesson or two from Riot Games and their flagship product, League of Legends.

1.) I hate when people use the word y'all. It makes me feel offended for being born in the United States.

2.) You  are comparing the most generic MMO to a survival game which one awards? Are you serious? These two games have nothing alike. Despite me not playing League of Legends, I still find the game boring, and comparable to any game that involves similar moves, such as Smite or DOTA 2. You can't compare DST to any MMO like League of Legends, League of Legends makes you buy certain characters, whereas I'm highly sure (correct me if anyone from Klei has news on what we need to get skins) we aren't paying for the skins when those come out.

Comparing Don't Starve with League of Toxic?

Trust me, LoL is toxic, but there are way more toxic communities out there. 

P.S Yes, FNAF counts, but only the hate community FNAF has, the rest of the community is generally good.

1.) I hate when people use the word y'all. It makes me feel offended for being born in the United States.

2.) You  are comparing the most generic MMO to a survival game which one awards? Are you serious? These two games have nothing alike. Despite me not playing League of Legends, I still find the game boring, and comparable to any game that involves similar moves, such as Smite or DOTA 2. You can't compare DST to any MMO like League of Legends, League of Legends makes you buy certain characters, whereas I'm highly sure (correct me if anyone from Klei has news on what we need to get skins) we aren't paying for the skins when those come out.

Trust me, LoL is toxic, but there are way more toxic communities out there. 

P.S Yes, FNAF counts, but only the hate community FNAF has, the rest of the community is generally good.

First of all, League of Legends is not an MMO. It's a MOBA.

Second of all, the point was not that LoL is not toxic, but that the developer has actually taken steps to mitigate the toxicity. Trust me, it would be a lot worse if they didn't have a formal reporting and punishment structure in place.

Think the problem is that too many Don't Starve players are expecting a singleplayer experience within a public server. In order to do that, you need to play with people you trust. Klei should of just added LAN support to the singleplayer game and then made this game more balanced for PvP and co-op. As of now we got a big clash of people who want singleplayer, co-op, and PvP. It's creating problems and I doubt it's going to sort out anytime soon. When I say singleplayer, I'm talking about just keeping everything vanilla but with players. You know those people exist because they're the ones who got annoyed with the Willow nerfs. This proves it.

First of all, League of Legends is not an MMO. It's a MOBA.

I stand corrected.

Second of all, the point was not that LoL is not toxic, but that the developer has actually taken steps to mitigate the toxicity.

Even still, I will never play it. I will not know if it's toxic, but from what I've gathered from seeing it played, it can be very toxic. 

Even still, I will never play it. I will not know if it's toxic, but from what I've gathered from seeing it played, it can be very toxic. 

Right, and that's fine. What I'm saying is that I feel the same way about DST. Way too many trolls and griefers.

I think you left something out of the quote bud. :3

Because it was irrelevant and would make my post take up more space.

Losing a science machine/having some trees burnt down might make you feel bad but it's nothing in comparison to a constant sanity drain that rivals deerclops.

Because it was irrelevant and would make my post take up more space.

Losing a science machine/having some trees burnt down might make you feel bad but it's nothing in comparison to a constant sanity drain that rivals deerclops.

I guess you're right. Point is, I'd like to see the ghost be less of a grief machine.

I am not a programmer so I am not sure how hard this is... but simply make a PVE-mode and PVP-mode. In PVE no one can attack other players and no craftable items can be set on fire, except walls. PVP, everything (except hacking of course) goes, baby.

I guess you're right. Point is, I'd like to see the ghost be less of a grief machine.

Someone suggested a ghost vaccum and an item to repel ghosts from bases. I think it's a good idea. You cannot do anything to Ghosts, not even in PVP world which is totally stupid. If my friend is still alive and I turn into a ghost, what do you think is going to happen? He now has a totally invincible sidekick.

Archived