Making Nigh Lights very useful

Currently almost no one makes Night Lights - they are expensive to make, expensive to fuel, lower your sanity fast, don't provide warmth in winter or cool you down in summer. I don't even see them in bases in the ultra-late game as decoration. They are just that useless.

I propose a simple mechanism to make them very, very useful, potentially a bit OP - make them proximity-activated like the Maxwell lights. If they use up fuel only when a character is nearby they will make excellent "streetlights" and emergency sources of light without wasting any of it.

This way they can be placed in the underworld to light areas you commonly visit, near places you've placed farms, twigs, grass etc for harvesting during the night, to illuminate roads you travel commonly (especially in winter when you get a longer night, but they won't warm you and be OP) and of course they can serve as regular lights (just really expensive ones you don't want to go overboard with lest you go crazy) and you don't have to waste very valuable fuel when you're not using them

I don't think it's going to be too hard to code such a mechanism nor will it require new animations and models but it will change the way they are used very quickly and for the better.

What do you guys think?

I definitely think its a really good idea ! Maybe to make it even better, the lights would only switch on during night phase ?! In order not to make the lights a so advantageous feature for the game ! During the day off, during the night on !

I definitely think its a really good idea ! Maybe to make it even better, the lights would only switch on during night phase ?! In order not to make the lights a so advantageous feature for the game ! During the day off, during the night on !
But wouldn't this also make them very great for getting your sanity lowered in the morning to get nightmare fuel since you could just wait for nighttime to stand in the darkness to lower your sanity instead?

I don't know, I wouldn't want anything that constantly decreases my sanity anywhere near my cave base, no matter how helpful it is. But if you take away the sanity loss (and allow them to turn off when away) than now they are O.P., because its possible to farm large amounts of nightmare fuel if you put your mind to it. I can't think of a solution, except maybe making the crafting recipe harder.

Archived