Homeless bees should produce flowers while off-screen

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should homeless bees produce flowers while off-screen?

• Yes
    • No
    • No Opinion

Currently, homeless bees will not produce flowers unless the player is actually on-screen. The mechanic works as follows: 

1) bee becomes homeless by either getting caught or it's hive getting destroyed

2) player releases bee near flowers

3) bee pollinates 6 flowers and then produces a new one (random copy of one of the previous 6 pollinated)

4) bee continually repeats step 3

This only happens if the player is on-screen, babysitting the bee(s). The player could even be on-screen watching all 6 flowers get pollinated but if they walk away the new flower will never get planted. Bee boxes produce honey at a rate determined by how many flowers are nearby and how much the bees have to compete for said flowers. If the bee boxes are off-screen they produce honey at a standard, slower rate. This is what I feel homeless bees should do. Require the bees to pollinate 3x the normal amount while off-screen if needed for the mechanic to be balanced. But there is no reason the player should have to babysit them.

As you can see, this makes an evil flower farm essentially pointless and highly inefficient. Even a "good" flower farm is pointless. The time needed to just sit at the flower farm while the bees take their time pollinating flowers makes this method worthless. There are other ways to obtain nightmare fuel and I'm not saying I want this to be the best way. It's automatic nightmare fuel production so it should definitely be slower than all the other methods but currently it's not viable at all.

I thought flowers release butterflies and butterflies created flowers like a circle. Bees are not only released by their hive ?

Sorry I wasn't clear on that, I meant that as the player releasing the bee near flowers. I'll change the original post now for clarity.

As you can see, this makes an evil flower farm essentially pointless and highly inefficient. Even a "good" flower farm is pointless. The time needed to just sit at the flower farm while the bees take their time pollinating flowers makes this method worthless. There are other ways to obtain nightmare fuel and I'm not saying I want this to be the best way. It's automatic nightmare fuel production so it should definitely be slower than all the other methods but currently it's not viable at all.

Actually, making the flower beds near some place where you usually spend time on, like near your base can accumulate a large number of flowers even if you just stay there for a few min during dusk:

post-396589-0-99766300-1422840266.png

Actually, making the flower beds near some place where you usually spend time on, like near your base can accumulate a large number of flowers even if you just stay there for a few min during dusk:

post-396589-0-99766300-1422840266.png

If only that were practical:

1) bees are hostile in spring, so if you placed it practically on top of your base you will have to fight killer bees the entire length of spring (there are no walls that contain bees, see my other forum post) 

2) to not have to deal with an entire swarm of killer bees every day of spring, you would only use a couple of bees, this would give you no control over how fast evil flowers > nightmare fuel were produced and would work at less than a snail's pace

Your reply doesn't address either of these issues. I already mentioned that what you've shown here is possible. What I'm saying is the player shouldn't be forced to do that as it's impractical and highly inefficient.

Your reply doesn't address either of these issues. I already mentioned that what you've shown here is possible. What I'm saying is the player shouldn't be forced to do that as it's impractical and highly inefficient.
  1. About 2-4 bees will do the trick. You don't need a lot of bees to produce large amounts of flowers (evil or otherwise). They do not attack you unless you are too close and spend a lot of time on top of them. Being a screen away will continue their pollinating activities.
  2. No need to fight a swarm. Separate the areas for your bee producing bees from the flower producing ones, then you won't have to fight the entire bee box's worth of bees. A day's work of the given variables stated above should produce 1-2 (3-4 tops) nightmare fuel a day.

The point may be not to for the player to have everything handed to them but they have to make sacrifices like spending a ludicrous amount of time doing nothing to acquire said resource. 

The point may be not to for the player to have everything handed to them but they have to make sacrifices like spending a ludicrous amount of time doing nothing to acquire said resource. 

Handed to them? Care to point out where I ask a that a stack of butterflies, stack of bees, an enclosed area, and a campfire be dropped in the player's inventory on a full moon? Oh wait, I didn't. 

The point is, you do the work beforehand and reap the rewards after. Just like with every other item in the game. This is even more work / time consuming than the majority of things this game has to offer. Judging by your two dimensional view on this, I'm starting to lose hope you have anything of value to add to this conversation.

With a statement like that, I'm surprised you're not off making threads demanding the removal of flint. It's also amusing how you have your own evil flower farm and yet say players shouldn't be handed things.

/thread

Handed to them? Care to point out where I ask a that a stack of butterflies, stack of bees, an enclosed area, and a campfire be dropped in the player's inventory on a full moon? Oh wait, I didn't. 

Did say any of those either? No. O__O

The point is, you do the work beforehand and reap the rewards after. Just like with every other item in the game.

Isn't that basically what I said?

they have to make sacrifices like spending a ludicrous amount of time doing nothing to acquire said resource. 

I'm starting to lose hope you have anything of value to add to this conversation.

On topic I said:

Being a screen away will continue their pollinating activities.

You don't have to be - 

on-screen, babysitting the bee(s).

Making:

No need to fight a swarm. Separate the areas for your bee producing bees from the flower producing ones, then you won't have to fight the entire bee box's worth of bees. A day's work of the given variables stated above should produce 1-2 (3-4 tops) nightmare fuel a day.

An answer to: 

2) to not have to deal with an entire swarm of killer bees every day of spring, you would only use a couple of bees, this would give you no control over how fast evil flowers > nightmare fuel were produced and would work at less than a snail's pace

Judging by your two dimensional view on this, I'm starting to lose hope you have anything of value to add to this conversation.

From your topic, there is also little to discuss. What's left for us is to re-iterate your post. The ending did not even entice a question to merit a discussion. Not even a question mark. It is a statement, a statement that poses itself to be challenged by others' ideas which in turn, will make it a discussion. But if the owner of the topic himself shuns other ideas to a post he supposedly wants to be "discussed" then what else is there? Tell me, what do want us to "discuss" about this? How brilliant it is? How innovative it is? How can we praise this idea if you cannot accept "criticism"?

To clarify what I added to this discussion, you said you needed to be on screen and I said you don't have to be, you can be a screen away and seriously, personal attacks?

Also, relating to the other thread you made (which you should have put the link in as if people have the time to look for it if it got lost in the sea of forum posts), if no other exits are detected, the bees will ignore the walls, but if you place a single opening, which I suggest you point away from your dwelling, then the bees will go through it and should not be a problem to the player. If the walls did not let the bees pass, then an issue about flowers congesting a small area could be a problem, be it from lag and/or graphics performance issues. Basically, it wouldn't look good if there are 20 flowers planted on the same spot would it?

With a statement like that, I'm surprised you're not off making threads demanding the removal of flint.

Dude, I'm even pushing to make The Totally Normal Tree produce Evil Flowers. Let's not be so assuming alright? :-)

Before, I was all for your idea, but now... I still am :-) Let's not ruin it alright :)

Archived