Deep Dungeon Delving Dilemma

I have finally started caving for the first time ever. I've explored the top layer before, but I've only touched the 2nd later, and after exploring a bit I got killed by a gazillion monsters, not excluding broken clockwork bishops and shadow creatures.

Thank fully I have plenty of meat effigies, so I'm still alive. That being said, I lost all my stuff down in the deep of goblin town.

My question is this: what advise do all of you have to help me not die in the caves? My armor is normally so beaten up (mainly by depth worms) by the time I get to the 2nd layer that it can only take a couple hits.

1. Run. No fight worm hound. Run. :wilson_dilemma:

2. Patience. Shadow creatures only appear during the "nightmare", and in the "dawn" they die if you're sane. :wilson_curious:

Area knowledge. Every area in the ruins has an unique threat (besides shadows).The mud pit is full of worms, the village is taken over by monkeys, the labyrinth is spider-infested and the shrines and armoury are guarded by damaged clockworks. :wilson_camera:

Equipment. If you don't have any armour down there, you need to take more with you! Moderate food can be fished or harvested down there, if you're in a pinch even algae do. :wilson_drool:

Avoid conflicts. No commentary. :wilson_ninja:

• Run. No fight worm hound. Run. :wilson_dilemma:
  • Patience. Shadow creatures only appear during the "nightmare", and in the "dawn" they die if you're sane. :wilson_curious:
  • Area knowledge. Every area in the ruins has an unique threat (besides shadows).The mud pit is full of worms, the village is taken over by monkeys, the labyrinth is spider-infested and the shrines and armoury are guarded by damaged clockworks. :wilson_camera:
  • Equipment. If you don't have any armour down there, you need to take more with you! Moderate food can be fished or harvested down there, if you're in a pinch even algae do. :wilson_drool:
  • Avoid conflicts. No commentary. :wilson_ninja:

Thank you. How do I tell when the Nightmare phase begins? I brought a bush hat to hide in (with my lanturn on the ground) so I don't get killed. At one point my lanturn tuned blue. Was that the start of the phase?

Also, are there more layers, or is the ancient guardian somewhere on this level?

I have some general suggestions that may be helpful. You can try enlisting the aid of some of the nuetral denizens, either the rock lobsters, or bunnymen. You can enlist rock lobster's by giving them minerals, like stone, gold and flint, alot like how you can recruit pigs. Same with Bunnymen, except with carrots. Something to note though, is that if you have any meat on you, bunnymen will attack, so if you wish to recruit them, bear that in mind. The next suggestion would be to clear the route, from the overworld entrance, to the entrance of level two. For Depth Worms, the wiki suggests using rock lobsters, and bee mine's, and notes that even though worms travel underground, they cannot pass under walls. Which brings me to my next suggestion, a forward base, near the level two entrance, preferrably with walls, and a decent population of either rock lobsters, or rabbit hutches(outside the walls). This should give you, if not a safe zone, then a relatively safer zone from the rest of the caves, and a place to stockpile items, such as extra sets of armor, and weapons, farms maybe(not sure if or how farms work underground). Ya could set up a tree farm nearby if needed. That's about all I got for ya at the moment, if anything else comes to mind, I'll be sure to letcha know.

Thank you. How do I tell when the Nightmare phase begins? I brought a bush hat to hide in (with my lanturn on the ground) so I don't get killed. At one point my lanturn tuned blue. Was that the start of the phase?

Also, are there more layers, or is the ancient guardian somewhere on this level?

When colours go weird and scary sound happens, you can be sure a nightmare is going on. Just hope it doesn't get worse.

The ancient guardian is guarding the ancient secrets, which are well-hidden. Ancient technology may help conquer the obstacles that are in the way. And no, I don't mean a spear.

Good luck next time!

Two simple suggestions:

- Avoid fights ALWAYS, remember enemies down there will always be in higher number than you are no matter what; you kill a spider or a monkey and here you go with a herd following you

- Plan your journey before you go. Want you wanna do at the second level ? Explore a bit ? Take the horn to make the Houndious whatever ? Hire some broken clockworks ? Repair the ancient pseudoscience ? ... And then prepare yourself for that trip with plenty of weapons, food and armors.

EDIT: Don't pick the glowing berry...  :cool2:  :cool2:  :cool2:

When I go down to the deep cave level for the first time I always do a bit of scouting first.  As far as I've been able to tell, the nightmare fissures that erupt during it always do so in the same place.  So I wait until the first nightmare event, find a central location without any nearby fissures, and build a base there: refrigerator, crock pot, chest, & firepit.  There is a small square area with a single statue in the middle that usually works.  After that it's just a matter of either going back there during the nightmare event, or finding another safe corner and waiting it out. 

Take one area at a time, look around for enemies and take them out before you do anything, go slow and be careful.  If I can get one alone I will usually try to kill the worms.  Otherwise I just lead them away from wherever it is I want to be.  I find the shadow monkeys easier to deal with than the normal monkeys.  They just charge rather than standing back and throwing poop.  The areas with the monkeys generally only have thulecite walls anyway, it's just easier to get thulecite from the statues.  I love playing matador with the rhinos, they can break statues & walls in one hit.  You can get them to kill the knights pretty easily, but the bishops can be harder.

I usually bring down a stack of honey for use with the crock pot.  You can get monster meat from the worms, morsels & bananas from the shadow monkeys, eels from the ponds, and there's mushrooms too. 

As others have mentioned, scout and understand your world first.  I setup a camp in area where depth worms, monkeys, nightmares and spiders won't just wander in.  This may be far from some resources you want (such as ponds and/or the undamaged Pseudoscience Machine) but it's worth it to have a place to relax.  

Again, I made my best base in the area that is basically a square with a single statue in the middle (it lies between the area you first start in and biome where there are statues.  For me anyway, this spot was far enough away from all the threats we mentioned.  I even left the center statue and use it as a visual warning and free light during nightmare cycles.  

I will also second the suggestion of going slow and clearing out areas completely before trying to pillage.  I found it easier to wipe out an area first and return later to mine the statues.  

It turns out that it isn't that bad staying in the ruins. I built a base and always wear the Tam O'Shanter, and brought some rock lobsters down as body guards. Using my stone-like friends I slaughtered a village (almost city) of splumonkeys.

They attacked the lobsters, and consequently I ended up with over 40 morsles of food and bananas.

I'm glad I put an Ice box in my ruins base :D

Archived