Proper Fire Nerfs

Servers should have a setting which would allow us to set the fire spread mechanic to our preference. It should be under 'world', having the icon of a flame, and have the settings none, less, default, more, and lots. Depending on what you select, should be how quickly flammables set on fire and spread. Setting it to none would make fires not spread at all.

Must have nerfs for all settings.

• Before anything bursts in flames by a lighter or torch, it should first smoke and then eventually build up into a flame. How fast the smoke turns into a flame is based on server settings.
  • The action of burning something with a lighter or torch should take much longer.

Optional nerfs for all settings.

• Setting too many things on fire should cause an Smokey the Hare to spawn which would blow out the fires and attack the player who caused them.
  • Berry bushes, saplings, grass tufts, other nonrenewable resource that catch fire and burn should wither and slowly grow back eventually rather than just turning into ash.
  • Just like in Minecraft, fires should stop spreading eventually, way before it burns down an entire base or forest. It could also depend on season, for example fires in winter should be near impossible to spread.

As of right now, I gave this game a bad review on steam and so has my fiance and it wont change until fire gets some serious nerfs so the game is playable for both public PvP and PvE. In PvE, you're completely screwed when it comes to a newb burning your stuff down for no apparent reason. No I refuse to use mods to fix a broken mechanic that gets absurdly abused. This is the developer's game, they need to take responsibility of the game mechanics and balance, not the player base. I did not only choose to play PvP, but also I chose to play with other players, however they're more of a nuisance than anything. None of them can be trusted. They'll be your friend and then back stab you when you least expect it. That's okay though, but what's not okay is having it near impossible to counter or stop it.

I started a new game on a PvP server and built far away from everything in the middle of no where. Not by roads, not by any viable resources, nothing. I worked my base up and as always built my necessities before my defense. Not smart to do it the other way around because then I'd die by the time a player would even bother becoming a threat to me. For anyone who's played this game on a PvP server, they should know by now that melee weapons are completely useless. So I tried going for darts instead and avoided boomerangs altogether since they can be caught by your enemy, which is ridiculous. A newb player joined the game, found my base, started stealing everything and I couldn't do anything about it since we both move at the same speed. He then set everything on fire, which I still wasn't able to do anything about it and the outcome is a lot of stolen stuff, a burnt base, and a newb thriving for being a griefer. Why bother even playing the game when any progress gets stolen or destroy by a new player that JUST joined the game?

Not only does fire needs some massive nerfs, but we need a better way to defend ourselves early game from new players. Notice I said early game, not midgame or lategame. If a veteran player showed up to my base with weapons that I couldn't compare with and he destroyed me, I'd be perfectly okay with it. However this is not the case, the problem is these newbs that thrive with little to no effort and you're saying this mechanic isn't broken?

• Setting too many things on fire should cause an event, such as instant distinguishing the fire you caused and having something pop out and kill you.
  • Taking out fires by hand should not damage you.
  • Berry bushes, saplings, grass tufts, other nonrenewable resource that catch fire and burn should grow back eventually rather than just turning into ash.
  • Just like in Minecraft, fires should stop spreading eventually, way before it burns down an entire base or forest. It could also depend on season, for example fires in winter should be near impossible to spread.

Please fix the fire mechanics, fires are a huge problem currently.

1. No

2. No

3. It's not a big of issue as you'd think, just go get more.

4. Fires eventually do stop.

Just like there are tree guards, i believe there should be fire guards. If you light too much, a fiery beast comes after you to kill you.
IF this rule is implemented i think that saplings, tufts, etc, should in fact turn to ash if you burn them. Or maybe if they are re-grow-able, they will need looooooots of poop/water content/sun content to fix them. For distinguishing fires, there is an item so idk about the damage....

1. No

2. No

3. It's not a big of issue as you'd think, just go get more.

4. Fires eventually do stop.

Either you don't play Don't Starve Together, you only play with friends that you know, or you're a griefer. A newb Willow has just burned down a base and I couldn't do anything at all to stop it. I'm also sick of new players just burning crap down for the hell of it. Something needs to be done and you're not offering anything.

Either you don't play Don't Starve Together, you only play with friends that you know, or you're a griefer. A newb Willow has just burned down a base and I couldn't do anything at all to stop it. I'm also sick of new players just burning crap down for the hell of it. Something needs to be done and you're not offering anything.

If you're the host there's a mod that allows you to specify what can and can't be burned and another that prevents fire spread.

If you're building a base on a public dedicated server with no admin/mods may the odds be ever in your favor.

I run the simple protection mod, which means if someone is a griefer they have to spend some dedicated time to actually grief me, and they have to actually find me, due to it being on wilderness. There should NOT be an event that randomly stops fire, as that isn't natural. I don't think you realize that the health penalty from burning objects isn't really that big, as long as you have a good management of what you eat you should be fine from any damage. You can get the "Renewable world" mod, which will make similar events happen. And as said, Simple Protection is configurable and automagically comes with Willow protection.

If you have such a big problem with griefers, then perhaps you shouldnt let just anyone walk into your base.

Sorry but the vanilla answer to a broken mechanic is not mods.

Just like there are tree guards, i believe there should be fire guards. If you light too much, a fiery beast comes after you to kill you.
IF this rule is implemented i think that saplings, tufts, etc, should in fact turn to ash if you burn them. Or maybe if they are re-grow-able, they will need looooooots of poop/water content/sun content to fix them. For distinguishing fires, there is an item so idk about the damage....

Burning forests is good for the soil, so I don't understand the point of using manure for burnt plants. After a forest fire, all plants eventually grow back where currently in the game they don't. It's just a severe punishment that's a tad too challenging for multiplayer. This may work in singleplayer, but it doesn't work in multiplayer where you need an abundant of resources to sustain many players. The game needs to cut back on the amount of nonrenewable resources for the sake of multiplayer balance and the same goes with nerfing fires.

Setting too many things on fire should cause an event, such as instant distinguishing the fire you caused and having something pop out and kill you.
There's already something that kills you when you set too much stuff on fire. It's called fire. If anything, adding this creature would only incourage more forest burning for loot. But it would be interesting if handled in a original way.

Taking out fires by hand should not damage you.
and running on spikes should heal you.

Berry bushes, saplings, grass tufts, other nonrenewable resource that catch fire and burn should grow back eventually rather than just turning into ash.
in the same place? NO.

Just like in Minecraft, fires should stop spreading eventually, way before it burns down an entire base or forest. It could also depend on season, for example fires in winter should be near impossible to spread.
What is a Minecraft? Also, no.

Give a time period that a new player must go through with a character before he or she could set things on fire.
mods.

Burning forests is good for the soil, so I don't understand the point of using manure for burnt plants. After a forest fire, all plants eventually grow back
actually, this not really completely true. some plants are adapted to forest fires, so that they only grow from seeds after one, and reuse the nutrients. However, in other kind of forests, like conifer ones, once burned down it would take years to regrow naturaly to what it was before. Also, In case you didn't notice,the plants in DS don't really care about our plants' life cycle. 

There's already something that kills you when you set too much stuff on fire. It's called fire. If anything, adding this creature would only incourage more forest burning for loot. But it would be interesting if handled in a original way.

Not really, you can set things on fire and walk away.

and running on spikes should heal you.

And realism makes a good game. That's sarcasm of course.

in the same place? NO.

Yes because of the roots. You want to move something, then dig it up.

actually, this not really completely true. some plants are adapted to forest fires, so that they only grow from seeds after one, and reuse the nutrients. However, in other kind of forests, like conifer ones, once burned down it would take years to regrow naturaly to what it was before. Also, In case you didn't notice,the plants in DS don't really care about our plants' life cycle.

Meanwhile trees in DS grow in a matter of days. I like how you take the parts of realism where it only benefits your points but then use realism to counter mine. All I'm getting is a bunch of nos without constructive replies. I'm not saying my take on it is the best, but it's at least trying to fix a mechanic that I believe is broken.

Yes because of the roots. You want to move something, then dig it up.
in the other ones I was being jokey. However in this one, what would be the loss of having something burnt if it would just grow back? That would make playing with fire and flash fires in summer almost a non-issue.

Meanwhile trees in DS grow in a matter of days. I like how you take the parts of realism where it only benefits your points but then use realism to counter mine. All I'm getting is a bunch of nos with constructive replies.
Well, I wasn't actually using that for an arguement, just correcting you a bit. Realism is not important. but, again, what would be the loss of having an entire forest burned down if it would simply grow itself out of it in a day or 2?

I'm not saying my take on it is the best, but it's at least trying to fix a mechanic that I believe is broken.
Well, I don't think fire is broken. It's harmful and unforgiving and seems to be doing it's harm and unforgiveness rather well. For griefing, there's caution, rollbacks and bans, so that is fixed.

in the other ones I was being jokey. However in this one, what would be the loss of having something burnt if it would just grow back? That would make playing with fire and flash fires in summer almost a non-issue.

It will be an issue because it will take a long time for it to grow back.

Well, I wasn't actually using that for an arguement, just correcting you a bit. Realism is not important. but, again, what would be the loss of having an entire forest burned down if it would simply grow itself out of it in a day or 2?

No, I'm not saying that it'll regrow back like nothing. It should take time for burnt plants to recover themselves from a fire, not just a day or two. Unlike singleplayer, a fire is a loss for everyone on the entire server. This is why fire needs to be significantly nerfed. If you're just playing with a friend or two alone, you may not understand what I mean. However as soon as you play with 6+ players, you begin to realize that fires aren't fun anymore.

The same thing happened in Minecraft. In singleplayer fires spread and destroyed everything. As soon as it became a multiplayer game, fires got nerfed because of the abundant of players on a server. DST is it's own game because it needs to be properly balanced for multiplayer. Fires are one of those things that need to be balanced but so far aren't.

Well, I don't think fire is broken. It's harmful and unforgiving and seems to be doing it's harm and unforgiveness rather well. For griefing, there's caution, rollbacks and bans, so that is fixed.

I was playing on a server with my fiance and she was burning everything with Willow just so she wouldn't freeze in the winter. This burning everything down concept works for her, but hurts everyone else on the server. I really wouldn't consider that griefing, but others would. This is how you know that the real problem is the mechanic, not the people.

well, there's already the respawning bushes thing, maybe they could extend it to twigs and grass too, but maybe not, since those are so frequent. But over time, a world is bound to get destroyed. We are it's beginning and we are it's doom. It kinda pains me that there's no teleportato in DST right when it would be a useable thing, but I guess we can just be there clinging despareatly to a world until it's deserted.
DS is not a building game like Minecraft. Be ready to lose stuff when you're in it.

well, there's already the respawning bushes thing, maybe they could extend it to twigs and grass too, but maybe not, since those are so frequent. But over time, a world is bound to get destroyed. We are it's beginning and we are it's doom. It kinda pains me that there's no teleportato in DST right when it would be a useable thing, but I guess we can just be there clinging despareatly to a world until it's deserted.

DS is not a building game like Minecraft. Be ready to lose stuff when you're in it.

Well then the developers need to find a way for the game to last forever, since we do have a game mode called endless.

Sorry but the vanilla answer to a broken mechanic is not mods.

Burning forests is good for the soil, so I don't understand the point of using manure for burnt plants. After a forest fire, all plants eventually grow back where currently in the game they don't. It's just a severe punishment that's a tad too challenging for multiplayer. This may work in singleplayer, but it doesn't work in multiplayer where you need an abundant of resources to sustain many players. The game needs to cut back on the amount of nonrenewable resources for the sake of multiplayer balance and the same goes with nerfing fires.

Nothing is broken...the game is what it is. If you want things handled differently you should develop a mod.

You don't determine what's broken and what's not balanced. Klei does...simple as that!

Nothing is broken...the game is what it is. If you want things handled differently you should develop a mod.

You don't determine what's broken and what's not balanced. Klei does...simple as that!

Not trying to be mean, by why are you in this section of the forums? This place is called, "Suggestions and Feedback", therefore expect people like me who will criticize the game and ask for changes in hope that our gaming experience would improve. Personally at this point I'm not quite understanding why Klei decided to make a new game for multiplayer when all everyone wants is vanilla but with friends. No one seems to want balance for multiplayer whatsoever because "That's what mods are for", right?"

No one seems to want balance for multiplayer whatsoever because "That's what mods are for", right?"

Unfortunatly "we" don't determine what balance is for DST. If there's something you want changed in-game Klei provides the solution in the form of mods.

You are not stuck with the game as is...if you require additional changes make them. Mods already exist for two of the changes you listed. People who weren't satisfied with fire mechanics made a mod. I suggest you follow their lead and do the same. If you need help making a mod I'd be happy to lend a hand.  :-)

Unfortunatly "we" don't determine what balance is for DST. If there's something you want changed in-game Klei provides the solution in the form of mods.

You are not stuck with the game as is...if you require additional changes make them. Mods already exist for two of the changes you listed. People who weren't satisfied with fire mechanics made a mod. I suggest you follow their lead and do the same. If you need help making a mod I'd be happy to lend a hand.  :-)

Once again, this is the suggestions and feedback section for DST, which is in early access and isn't considered a finished product yet. My topic has nothing to do with mods, I have no interest in mods, and I'm definitely not going out of my busy schedule to work on a mod. Your mod talk is just derailing the topic. If you want to talk about mods, there is a section for that, it's called "Mods and Tools". I want to see vanilla features and fire should be properly balanced for multiplayer purposes. Why on earth am I being punished for other people's griefing and mishaps is beyond me.

This is my feedback, these are my suggestions. Take them as you will, but please leave mods out of it. Everything in this section can be a mod, DST could of been a mod, future features could be mods, you see this is just a irritating endless argument that needs to stop.

Either you don't play Don't Starve Together, you only play with friends that you know, or you're a griefer. A newb Willow has just burned down a base and I couldn't do anything at all to stop it. I'm also sick of new players just burning crap down for the hell of it. Something needs to be done and you're not offering anything

People will play the game their own way. Play with your friends if you're tired of people's different play styles.

New players are going burn things down, People are going to grief, Klei shouldn't set things just to stop griefing.

Trenix, on 06 Jun 2015 - 1:56 PM, said:snapback.png

I was playing on a server with my fiance and she was burning everything with Willow just so she wouldn't freeze in the winter. This burning everything down concept works for her, but hurts everyone else on the server. I really wouldn't consider that griefing, but others would. This is how you know that the real problem is the mechanic, not the people.

Burning does hurt everyone but don't matter what in don't starve together, Someone's mistake is usually everyone's. Most of the time, fires aren't an issue unless someone lights the base on fire. Which is why klei has rolebacks/kicks/bans which fixes the problem.

Once again, this is the suggestions and feedback section for DST, which is in early access and isn't considered a finished product yet. My topic has nothing to do with mods, I have no interest in mods, and I'm definitely not going out of my busy schedule to work on a mod. Your mod talk is just derailing the topic. If you want to talk about mods, there is a section for that, it's called "Mods and Tools". I want to see vanilla features and fire should be properly balanced for multiplayer purposes. Why on earth am I being punished for other people's griefing and mishaps is beyond me.

This is my feedback, these are my suggestions. Take them as you will, but please leave mods out of it. Everything in this section can be a mod, DST could of been a mod, future features could be mods, you see this is just a irritating endless argument that needs to stop.

Yet you want Klei to go out of their busy schedule to make your personal changes? Sorry, but this is exactly why they allow mods. No one has time to tweak the game to our personal standards...Klei provides the necessary options to do it ourselves. If you found time to post here you can find the time to search the steam workshop or create the change you need

Balance is determined by Klei...if you disagree they provided the tools to make the tweaks you desire...it just requires effort on your part. There is plenty you can do to stop people from burning down your base. If you search the "Mods and Tools" section you'd find the solutions to most of your issues.

No one is punishing you and I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe you just need to re-think where you build your camp and who you give your location too? I play on Klei servers and spend a considerable amount of time exploring before base-building. I hardly ever run into greifers but I do hear ppl screaming in chat about greifing after giving away their location or building camp too close to spawn. Game mechanics should not be changed because of poor player judgement.

The thing is, your ideas might even be good. But we're discussing if they're really nescessary, if they improve the game, and if they're cost-efficient compared to the other ideas that could be implemented in the game. 

I myself, don't believe your ideas are nescessary enough to take time to implement, and they don't really provide much gameplay-wise, so I am against them. I think that fire is doing it's thing like it should be, and I see no fault in it. Fire destroys. Fire Burns. Fire kills. But it also warms you in the cold days.

Game mechanics should not be changed because of poor player judgement.
Well, they actually should. Just, y'know, changed to punish you for your lack of vision and judgement.

I'm just going to leave it. Just because I play the game differently than the both of you, doesn't make it wrong. We should all play the way that we want to play, without the intervention of mods. I've had my fair share of playing styles, both with LAN/private server and public multiplayer. These suggestions I made were after I've witnessed public multiplayer.

I'm almost 100% positive that you guys strictly play with your friends via LAN/private servers because once you play public multiplayer, your idea of fire will change drastically, unless you enjoy griefing. Once your entire base goes on fire on a heavily populated public server because of a new player, then you'd truly understand what I'm saying. But until then, I'll just leave this argument the way it is.

I'm almost 100% positive that you guys strictly play with your friends via LAN/private servers because once you play public multiplayer, your idea of fire will change drastically, unless you enjoy griefing. Once your entire base goes on fire on a heavily populated public server because of a new player, then you'd truly understand what I'm saying. But until then, I'll just leave this argument the way it is.

I only play on Klei public dedicated servers. I own a dedicated server with mods for base building because I find it impossible to have any attachment to a base created on a public server.

But 80% of my game-play is public Klei servers and I don't have trouble with greifing because I don't tell people where to find me and don't build my base near spawn. I spend the majority of my time exploring and don't rush into base building until late in the game. I cover my tracks with a shovel when chopping trees or picking saplings/grass so people don't follow a trail. I use spider dens, tentacles and killer bees as defenses and usually end up with a small secluded camp. So no, I don't run into the same problems as you because I keep my camps small and don't reveal my location.

If your base is so large that you can't pick up and move when things go sour then you need to re-think joining public. Nothing that happens on public should surprise you by now and we've all had our bases burned...everyone. You need to adapt, build smaller, and have a back-up plan. If you want to something protected public is not the place.

And just because we're fine with the fire mechanics and not phased by griefers doesn't mean we enjoy greifing. It just means we have a different understanding of what public means. We understand what you're saying...we've just learned how to survive public without asking Klei to change game mechanics.

Archived