Birds in Cages no longer take cooked Monster Meat for Eggs

In the most recent update, a lot of changes were mentioned in the original post of the stickied thread, but this was not mentioned (and this is, in my opinion, a far more important change than the starving bird).

I haven't seen a Dev address this matter yet, despite people mentioning it in the sticky and responses from Devs following these responses. Could we please get a confirm/deny that this is an intentional change and not just some strange bug that came about from making the birds starve?

In my opinion the birdcage was pretty powerful, but I don't think it needs to be nerfed twice. If I had a say in the matter I'd prefer having the birds starve, but continue gettings eggs for monster meat. The birdcage requires a lot of resources, and I might as well rely on tallbird eggs / pengulls and save my normal meats rather than use this. The most important part of the birdcage was making monster meats more useful, that's what made it worth crafting.

The only thing I really hate is the starving bird mechanic I don't really care about the monster meat thing (cause let's be honest honey master race) cause monster meat is still useful for turning pigs into werepigs, also you can get mini guano poops from the bird and it's SO FREAKING KAWAII...Ahem (but in case you misunderstood you can't use monster meat to get guano from the bird cage) , also I think the only reason i'll make a bird is for farming which i'll probably make after first winter. ^_^

Edit : I am a dingus and forgot that rotten eggs are used in gunpowder so yeah might also need a bird cage for that too. xD

I played a lot Don't Starve recently and only last game I choose Wigfrid and god - it's so much easier to survive. You gain so much sanity and health overall, it's crazy. Fighting spiders? You completly negate their sanity drain AND gain sanity/health while fighting. Fighting giant? After you defeat him you gain back like half of your sanity and a lot of health and you don't have to worry about going mad anymore right after battle (which is usually outcome of fighting giant). Fighting anything else? Let me just hit you with my 1.25x damage for basically no penalty. Wolfgang is paying x3 faster hunger increase for the same bonus (1.25x-2x in mighty form).

Wigfrid is good at combat, but shes insanely good at survival overall becuase of her sanity/health gain. Removing health gain and cutting sanity gain by half would make her to be as good as other characters. She would still probably remain top choice and better than wolfgang.

For bonuses like that, she should be able to eat only vegetables instead of only meats, then it would be real penalty.

Wigfrid is good at combat, but shes insanely good at survival overall becuase of her sanity/health gain. Removing health gain and cutting sanity gain by half would make her to be as good as other characters. She would still probably remain top choice and better than wolfgang.
Why not halving/lowering the health gained from killing something instead of removing it.

ehh, it is less that wigfrid is powerful and more that the other characters  aren't good enough.

I would love to play wolf gang.  but I wont touch him because of his wimpy mode . he never needed a wimpy mode  it doesn't make any sense for him to have a wimpy mode.   and worst of all having to deal with three states is both tedious in general game-play and out right frustrating in combat.

if this were real survival wolfgang would die first.

I would love to play wx but his downsides are insane  and his  bonuses require the consumption of a rare early game item. so wasteful

I would love to play  wendy . but she hits  like a sack of wet noodles   and her one real bonus can easily get itself killed.  and once it is gone . heh might as well be wes .

I can't think of a reason why anyone would pick willow.  a free torch is a pathetically small perk  and fire immunity is .... not helpful in 99% of situations.

wes is wes . no need to change wes

wicker bottom is better than Wilson .

webber is fantastic  for alternate play styles

Yes, admittedly besides decoration and getting dragonfruit seeds faster, which if anything we still don't need but is just nice to have, birds were a viable way to make monster meat useful. Other then that, I rarely ever used the stuff, even as crock pot filler. It ended up being more useful as rot to me for fire fuel. At least they look nice enough for base making. They are pretty fancy..... Also, i'm the only one who wants a pet vulture, right? Just me?..... Base making is awesome, though drives me a bit mad when I can't get things symmetrical.

Hopefully things will be cleared up in due time.... Though honestly, I think there needs to stop being nerfs or buffs to anything that is food/character related and just stick to making the environment harder to deal with. Starving has never, EVER been the problem of the game, and I can't help but think that was the intention as sort of an ironic joke to the name. The starving part shouldn't kill you, it's everything else in your way that should be what ultimately gets you. The problem is though, besides Wigfrid who needs the meat and sanity boosts, there is absolutely nothing that is preventing your character from not fighting. Heck, eventually even Wigfrid won't need to, if she can position herself in a good place which such as a swamp, gaining things such as fish and frogs legs, silk for obtaining butterflies and making flowers, and an easy supply of spider glands for health. 

Hounds? Yeah, whatever. Bosses? You don't HAVE to fight them. Everything else you can run away from. There needs to be more challenging things in the game, like bosses who feel like bosses with their own complex attack methods with drops that feel rewarding. More events that happen during the 4 seasons, heck, why not have 8 seasons, with the extra 4 being dark and twisted? Heck, if Maxwell can create whatever he wants, surely he'd want to create something more... Creative.... New monsters, more environmental risks, more environments such as perhaps the sea, or somehow getting up into the sky, caves on the ground level with different monsters and loot, more incentive to actually use the caves we do have, more biomes in general..... I'm getting ahead of myself, so i'll just stop there.

As for the whole wigfrid thing,I'm sorry, but if Wigfrid gets nerfed, so do Wickerbottom and Webber. I really like those characters.

If Webber can find a good nest of spiders, he can just relax there, make nets, catch butterflies, plant them and use them for sanity and eat all the monster meat and use all the silk he obtains with ease. If he can't find a good bunch of nests, he can just make farms like everyone else.

Wickerbottom can screw the alchemy machine and make crops grow for relatively little sanity, because that clearly isn't as bad as Wigfrid.

Heck, why not WX as well? If they can obtain the gears, they are a god, and if they can't they can eat just about anything.

Her abilities aren't the problem. It's the lack of challenge the game has to offer once you've gotten decent at it, and if we're being picky about it, she isn't so good at fighting that she puts everyone to shame, nor is Wolfgang. Even Wes gets the job done, it's just more time consuming.

I just want to say my piece, because DST is still beta sort of I guess and they need feedback for these tweaks, I have no issue with the birdcage being to OP before this tweak, and now, this change has made it practically redundant, makes reeds worth less (they are now only useful for books as wicker or poultices most darts are suck :/ and aren't that useful) make eggs far more expensive and this effects the crock pot recipes that use them.

The whole use of birdcages was to take an item that was once worth little and wasn't good and turn it into something that can be used, rather like farms to be honest. Taking something before worth like, 4 hunger and 1 hp and turn it into useful vegetables. Birdcages were only useful for this and I cant think of many uses for gunpowder (there are lots of rotten eggs after winter anyway)

If they want to nerf birdcage to make it less powerful then I applaud this idea, but monster meat should still be useable or hey, you might aswell nerf those farms too for the same reason I provided. I like the idea of birds starving, and I wouldn't mind it if they couldn't be feed meat to regain hunger, I also don't mind the idea that they cant be feed at night, but seriously, the monster meat thing is a step to far.

Keep the birdcage worth using, don't make it another fire dart/winterometer which aren't that useful and are only made for the, I built all the stuff, feels.

more environments such as perhaps the sea,
I wish they would make a like raid kind of deal where you build a raft and go somewhere but you can only bring 6 people and when you go out to sea you have a chance of a storm happening and monsters would come out of the sea to destroy the raft and if they do everyone will fall into the sea and wake up back at the island they sailed off of that'd be a cool raid type of thing. ^_^

• Developer

Hey guys - we're going to make some more adjustments to the birdcage. Birds will starve at 25% of their normal rate while in a cage & birds will accept cooked & jerkied monster meats again.

birds will accept cooked & jerkied monster meats again.

How about only jerkied monster meats?

So monster meat requires more effort to be processed instead of just cooking it.

Or make it like pigs.

If you give 4 monster meat to a bird in a short time, they will die (instead of turning into werebirds).

Or both.

Hey guys - we're going to make some more adjustments to the birdcage. Birds will starve at 25% of their normal rate while in a cage & birds will accept cooked & jerkied monster meats again.

1) That's good to hear about the 25% smaller starving rate.

2) WHAT?! You know that this is utterly OP, right (not to mention all the game logic behind that)? Better to just reduce the chance of mobs like spiders of dropping monster meat and then people will get monster meat less frequently!

1) That's good to hear about the 25% smaller starving rate.

2) WHAT?! You know that this is utterly OP, right (not to mention all the game logic behind that)? Better to just reduce the chance of mobs like spiders of dropping monster meat and then people will get monster meat less frequently!

I'm not sure how it's utterly OP.  By the time you're building a birdcage and supplying it w/ monster meat, food is more of an afterthought than anything.

There's a point when "not starving" becomes nothing more than a daily routine so that you can go out and actually play the rest of the game.

You can just as easily just make meatballs w/ the monster meats + meats + other fillers, or go the Dragonpie route which is even easier.

• Developer

How about only jerkied monster meats?

So monster meat requires more effort to be processed instead of just cooking it.

Or make it like pigs.

If you give 4 monster meat to a bird in a short time, they will die (instead of turning into werebirds).

Or both.

We may take a better look at the bird monster meat laundering in the future. For now we're simply going to revert the behaviours to the previous state.

I'm not sure how it's utterly OP.  By the time you're building a birdcage and supplying it w/ monster meat, food is more of an afterthought than anything.

There's a point when "not starving" becomes nothing more than a daily routine so that you can go out and actually play the rest of the game.

You can just as easily just make meatballs w/ the monster meats + meats + other fillers, or go the Dragonpie route which is even easier.

The fact that you can feed monster meat to bird in cage just makes your not-starving so easy, that you can live off monster meat and rabbit meat (morsels) to make good food, even in RoG. And don't mind Spring letting the rabbits out, everything grows quicker so more berries as filler for meatballs. On default, not starving has become way too easy, even though the game is Don't Starve. 

The fact that you can feed monster meat to bird in cage just makes your not-starving so easy, that you can live off monster meat and rabbit meat (morsels) to make good food, even in RoG. And don't mind Spring letting the rabbits out, everything grows quicker so more berries as filler for meatballs. On default, not starving has become way too easy, even though the game is Don't Starve. 

Not Starving has always been easy, even though the game is Don't Starve.

You didn't even address the fact that you can just as easily turn those monster meats into Meatballs, or the Dragonpie factories, etc.

Why is this your sticking point?  That's what I don't understand at all.

Not Starving has always been easy, even though the game is Don't Starve.

You didn't even address the fact that you can just as easily turn those monster meats into Meatballs, or the Dragonpie factories, etc.

Why is this your sticking point?  That's what I don't understand at all.

Because that is what makes the food gathering even easier than it already is. Sure, I do actually think that a lot of things in terms of food should be nerfed, but this one is the most OP one, more OP than meatball recipes, fish stick recipes or dragonpie recipes.

I actually don't think much should be changed in recipes. Every recipe is somewhat useful, some recipes are universal (meat balls), some others you have to specifically aim for (Dragon Pie or anything that contains honey) etc. Honestly there is not many bad recipes. Ratatouille? Lasagna? Kabobs? Almost every other recipe has some useful purpose.

And yea, Starving in Don't Starve was never major cause of death and that's awesome because I rather prefer to explore, fight or build than search for food 24/7.

Balancing food should happen through spoilage rate and not food itself. For now we have to stockpile some food at least every 2-3 days and in my opinion, it's perfect.

We may take a better look at the bird monster meat laundering in the future. For now we're simply going to revert the behaviours to the previous state.

cool, good, thanks God for this. Only ever use birdcage for monster meat and I think its fine like that :D 800 game hours too so im not just a newb that is talking nonsense.

Because that is what makes the food gathering even easier than it already is. Sure, I do actually think that a lot of things in terms of food should be nerfed, but this one is the most OP one, more OP than meatball recipes, fish stick recipes or dragonpie recipes.

its not more op then dragon pie, you have to do more to actually get the monster meat in worthwhile amounts. might aswell say berrybushes need to be nerfed so you cant replant them because all you would be doing is taking away my bacon and force me to make a massive berry farm which will just make the game a berry grind rather than a cool kickass monster hunting and cave splunking game.

I actually don't think much should be changed in recipes. Every recipe is somewhat useful, some recipes are universal (meat balls), some others you have to specifically aim for (Dragon Pie or anything that contains honey) etc. Honestly there is not many bad recipes. Ratatouille? Lasagna? Kabobs? Almost every other recipe has some useful purpose.

And yea, Starving in Don't Starve was never major cause of death and that's awesome because I rather prefer to explore, fight or build than search for food 24/7.

Balancing food should happen through spoilage rate and not food itself. For now we have to stockpile some food at least every 2-3 days and in my opinion, it's perfect.

ehhh meatballs isn't a good all round dish, but it is a good staple diet dish, because of its bonus hunger point potential. meatballs doesn't give a lot of hp and gives the default sanity gain. Also, ratatouille could be good if all you have is a massive pile of fungus and no meat nearby :/ Lasagna is meant to be bab and kabobs have 5 days longer shelf life then meatballs so an ok save away in an icebox if you got excess food, np making more meatballs that will spoil eh? same with Jam but it would be better to make kabobs with the berries. 1 morsel + 2 berries and 1 twig = kabob with no net hunger loss or gain, but still last longer than meatballs or the ingredients on their own.

Archived