Great base destroyed by griefer named PurifiedTurtl

post-648724-0-91204000-1431850737_thumb.

There were 4 or 5 of us, total strangers collaborating like the game intended, doing really well. We had more than enough to start the winter.. and then griefers came and the host was not around. With no moderators, they realized they can haunt and burn within a few minutes and destroyed the base.

If you get a player named PurifiedTurtl, beware, he's a stinker. He had a buddy but I didn't catch the name, it was 420...something.

I experienced something similar. I really don't understand people who do that, like.. what's the point? Does your ego increase when you made other people sad or something?

That's why I think not being able to burn stuff for the first few days should default servers setting. That and also decreased sanity drain from ghosts + disabled ability to destroy stuff as ghost.

one simple answer 2 words........ Ice Flingomatic.  Your base was doomed regardless.  Unless you're playing "No Giants Please" where you remove summer in which case who cares. 

If this is your first experience at this, well then Welcome to Don't Starve Together.  This wont be the last time it will happen to you.

I was wondering... Did Klei say that posting the names of griefers online wasn't allowed?

If they didn't say it then why not create a thread with screenshots of griefers admitting that they griefed?

for example:

Me: PlayerX, why did you grief?

PlayerX: because it was fun!

Or even maintain a public griefer list?

Or even maintain a public griefer list?

Because Klei shouldn't ban people for playing a game or have "grief" tags on people. People are going to destroy stuff and klei knows that. Klei should focus on Through the Ages, Features and bug fixes instead of banning and marking people for doing something that the game allows.

Because Klei shouldn't ban people for playing a game or have "grief" tags on people. People are going to destroy stuff and klei knows that. Klei should focus on Through the Ages, Features and bug fixes instead of banning and marking people for doing something that the game allows.

I didn't say that klei SHOULD ban people.

I was asking if Klei stated anything about the players not being allowed to make a public griefer list.

What's the purpose of this list and how long will it get? Who is going to fact check the submissions? (a screenshot of someone laughing while dead is not proof) What about new players that grief unintentionally because they lack game experience or there's a language barrier? What if someone on the list joins my server but isn't being disruptive? Should they be kicked/banned because they might grief?

If you run a public server without a password you should expect to encounter all types of individuals. There are tips and mods that can help minimize griefing but stopping it with a list is unrealistic. Like clwnbaby suggested simply building an ice flingomatic could have minimized the damage....that suggestion is more helpful than scanning a list for names.

Well of course the only people that would be added on the list are those that admit it. (Quote: "I griefed because it's fun", etc)

As I said... only a screenshot of a player admitting that he or she griefed for fun is proof.

New players are fun to play with, the only thing I hate are griefers.

And an ice flingomatic doesn't stop ghosts from haunting the fire at night and such things.

Also ice flingomatics can run out of fuel, all the ghosts have to do is keep haunting it until both the flingomatic runs out and you run out of reserve fuel and eventually the fire will burn stuff down, or haunt the actual fling-o-matic to destroy it. Remember that a hammer effect can also occur, ghost destruction isn't limited to fires. You can't revive them, because they'll just make a torch and burn it down anyways. Nothing you can do until the host comes back.

Want to be anti-griefer? Make backups of your world every few days. Someone comes on and blows stuff up, ban then and reload. It's really not that hard. Or just use a password-protected/friend server.

@Clwnbaby

They're at world day 20... Most people prepare for Winter and not for Summer until late Winter or mid Spring. Players spend time to gather materials for Winter clothing for all 4-5 players to stay alive during Winter. There is no time to explore the whole map and fight Clockworks together for enough gears to cover their large base. So, the ice flingomatic is not really a proper solution early game against griefers who are able to break structures aside from burning.

@Clwnbaby

They're at world day 20... Most people prepare for Winter and not for Summer until late Winter or mid Spring. Players spend time to gather materials for Winter clothing for all 4-5 players to stay alive during Winter. There is no time to explore the whole map and fight Clockworks together for enough gears to cover their large base. So, the ice flingomatic is not really a proper solution early game against griefers who are able to break structures aside from burning.

That's the risk you take when joining a server with no password or mods. And his suggestion is better than posting screenshots and creating an endless list with no clear purpose that will just turn into a flame war. Not excusing the behavior of griefers but if you play on a public server with no admin and no mods you should expect to encounter this type of behavior. There is no proper solution against a server with no set up to protect players.

Ghost haunt things...that's just how the game works and it's going to happen every time the wrong person joins a server with no admin available. I find it ridiculous when people become aggressive or yell at other players to not touch their stuff on public and unprotected. If your camp is open to the public it's vulnerable and a target. Re-build or create a private server. Suggestions like using a ice-fling-omatic is just smart advice not a solution. Don't build you base next to spawn if you're sensitive about strangers using your firepit is another good tip. Sharing ideas = results. Sharing a list of names and screenshots doesn't scale down griefing....playing smarter will.

There will always be something in the game trying to destroy your camp or kill you....even if you set your server to private.

Dave0522, I know what you mean. It's just usually a random group of people playing together wouldn't take the time to build an anti-griefer base. (+Knowing that someone is doing it on purpose makes it a lot different from say Bearger smashing everything down. A lot more upsetting... imo.)

-Also reason why I don't make any of my own servers public & only join other's public servers. Mainly to prevent myself from being upset (since it's not my server).

@Lileean, I always have a flingomatic by day 20.  Its really not that hard.  Also I build flingo first so the whole base is built around it and everything is in the radius. Flingo is like the first thing that goes down.  If they're playing incorrectly and only preparing for the imminent threat rather than a long term base than griefers are the least of problems.  Your base is doomed from the start. 

Also "most players" is a bold statement.  Have you played with everyone?  Clearly not since I see "most players" building for all seasons, searched most the map and have a flingo before day 20.  But I haven't played with everyone either.  So its just "most players" you run into.  Don't lump everyone together in such a loose argument.

Also everyone goes on and on about hammers.  There is no hammer in that image, everything was burning.  That said, doesn't matter what you do a griefer is gonna grief you one way or another.

Clwnbaby, I guess it really depends on playstyle... Honestly I'm the type of person to either kill all the clockworks and build a bunch of flingos to cover a large base, or if I'm playing on my own server, I'd build everything south of my firepit, get the flingo during Spring, and adjust my camp from there.

Also, I know I shouldn't have said "most players" but I guess that is really all I've encountered. It was mostly people who don't have too much experience with the game to even know what a flingo is. "Most" servers I see are either in the first few days of Autumn or early Winter. According to what I've seen, the amateur players never get too far into their server to even experience Summer. They're all making new servers after the other, or being carried in experienced servers they join midway (and probably die and leave). Maybe it's just the servers I join (aiming for the ones where I have low ping). Or maybe it's because the experienced players are more strict with their servers (like one time the host made all the newly joined players think there was no base at day 40). So far, I've only encountered ONE person who built their flingo first. I don't like forcing my playstyle on other people either... unless it's some whiny kid who keeps breaking the structures I built to "place it nicely somewhere else."

So in the end, I join a server and go along with it like I would have if I were playing with that guy who got griefed. I'm like the silent newbie support. (: Gathering things the base needs when others clearly don't realize they need it... and just providing, I guess.

ANYWAYS... what am I rambling about. Er. yahayh, griefers. OH! I'll share another experience, I guess. This one guy kept dying in a server I was playing and ended up breaking our base out of frustration + amusement after he died for like the third time. So my point with that little experience is that there are so many kinds of 'griefers'. Ones that will play with you until they've had it, and ones who join, act oh so friendly, griefs and leaves, and ones who make it clear that they think they've accomplished something from maliciously griefing your base. Oh, there's also the very dedicated griefers who try so hard to grief a base even though they've crashed from a mod like 7 times (moving 1 step towards the farm he plans to burn each relog). So sad. Can't do much about them really. It'll be like a randomly occuring event during any season. The Greifer (Krampus over 9000) has spawned!

TL;DR, Newbies don't know what a flingo is / griefers gonna grief.

How the heck flingo can prevent players from being destructive?

Hammer? Luring giant into base? Staying afk as ghost? Hauting things (not sure if object can be still just immediately destroyed while haunting)? Hauting Hounds to turn them into Red Hounds? Placing multiple spider dens in the middle of base? Burning EVERYTHING outside the base? Taking stuff out of boxes and burning it? Summoning tentacles in base? Wasting all tent uses on purpose?

I experienced it all. Flingo isn't solution.

Also - I played on multiple servers and multiple bases, I am getting flingo usually in spring becuase it's best time to do so. People usually build things ignoring flingomatic completly, so it's best to wait until they stop, and then try to cover everything with flingomatics. Building flingo super early it's waste of time you can spend doing something more useful and help others to prepare for winter.

How the heck flingo can prevent players from being destructive?

Hammer? Luring giant into base? Staying afk as ghost? Hauting things (not sure if object can be still just immediately destroyed while haunting)? Hauting Hounds to turn them into Red Hounds? Placing multiple spider dens in the middle of base? Burning EVERYTHING outside the base? Taking stuff out of boxes and burning it? Summoning tentacles in base? Wasting all tent uses on purpose?

I experienced it all. Flingo isn't solution.

Also - I played on multiple servers and multiple bases, I am getting flingo usually in spring becuase it's best time to do so. People usually build things ignoring flingomatic completly, so it's best to wait until they stop, and then try to cover everything with flingomatics. Building flingo super early it's waste of time you can spend doing something more useful and help others to prepare for winter.

Clwnbaby's post is referring to a specific base with zero fire protection. He wasn't suggesting flingo-matics were a solution to anything other than helping with fire if you re-read his post.

The things you listed are completely different issues. :-)

Archived