Digital Artist needed for lamia/naga/snake-girl character mod.

I'm attaching a reference sheet, I really need the components digitally drawn out and transferred from my concept art. any additional details you need I can give you. I appreciate the effort anyone puts into making this!

This character is basically me in Lamia form, i've written out most of her custom dialogue and if you want to I've included it to be read for an idea of her personality / character. coloring and such can come after the parts are done and don't necessarily need to be done by you unless you really like to do that kind of thing. This is a rough sketch / character concept that I really need help bringing to life.

speech_noir.lua
post-642721-0-76533400-1431223216_thumb.
post-642721-0-54044600-1431223209_thumb.

I can do a pencil sketch sprite character because it does not have the basis for a character dont starve. After a few tweaks that will make it easier for someone more dijite the remaining bases with a base and made character.

Your character is well can easily design the characteristic Tim burton style that has ds. The only problem that I see is that your character is based on a snake son has no legs and to as low as I have understood that is imposble for a character template.

I can do a pencil sketch sprite character because it does not have the basis for a character dont starve. After a few tweaks that will make it easier for someone more dijite the remaining bases with a base and made character.

Your character is well can easily design the characteristic Tim burton style that has ds. The only problem that I see is that your character is based on a snake son has no legs and to as low as I have understood that is imposble for a character template.

I'm having trouble understanding you but the leg picture file mirrors with the left being center and right being the outside edge.

@Argosa47,

u could also try to emtpy the legtextures and use the actual tail textures from http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/950-extended-sample-character

iam not sure how they are animated, maybe it would look goods, cause its not symmetric, like the legs are.

btw, the artwork looks nice, why dont u just try it yourself?

download gimp http://www.gimp.org/ and use this charactertemplate as a basis http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/950-extended-sample-character , where u pretty much only have to replace the artwork. u can even use your pencilartwork, either directly, or just in a backgroundlayer to help u draw.

@Argosa47,

u could also try to emtpy the legtextures and use the actual tail textures from http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/950-extended-sample-character

iam not sure how they are animated, maybe it would look goods, cause its not symmetric, like the legs are.

btw, the artwork looks nice, why dont u just try it yourself?

download gimp http://www.gimp.org/ and use this charactertemplate as a basis http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/950-extended-sample-character , where u pretty much only have to replace the artwork. u can even use your pencilartwork, either directly, or just in a backgroundlayer to help u draw.

Thanks, my girlfriend drew it and I told her she could just trace it but when she doesn't know how something works she gets anxious. I could try tracing over her work though that's one thought. I figured I would try asking here though.

Thanks, my girlfriend drew it and I told her she could just trace it but when she doesn't know how something works she gets anxious. I could try tracing over her work though that's one thought. I figured I would try asking here though.

the most important things to learn about digital drawing are layers and selections. just read/watch some tutorials for layers and selections in gimp.

using the drawingtools is pretty straightforward and try and error.

and feel free to ask anything here, there are no stupid questions.

If you wanted to create a legless character with a long, slinky tail, you might want to try removing the legs from a template and adding the tail directly to the character's torso. It won't slink back and forth as the charater walks and some animations might look strange, but it'll get the basic idea across without having to make your own animations.

You would need to extend the size of a character's torso image, though. In the extended sample character it's a little too short to accomodate a tail below the body.

If you wanted to create a legless character with a long, slinky tail, you might want to try removing the legs from a template and adding the tail directly to the character's torso. It won't slink back and forth as the charater walks and some animations might look strange, but it'll get the basic idea across without having to make your own animations.

You would need to extend the size of a character's torso image, though. In the extended sample character it's a little too short to accomodate a tail below the body.

I have ideas for the logistics I just really need someone who can draw better than me. I have this thing where either psychologically or physiologically my hands will shake too much. it's especially difficult with drawing and writing. thanks for the advice though if my other couple of solutions don't work that'd be a way to go too.

I have ideas for the logistics I just really need someone who can draw better than me. I have this thing where either psychologically or physiologically my hands will shake too much. it's especially difficult with drawing and writing. thanks for the advice though if my other couple of solutions don't work that'd be a way to go too.

thats the good thing about digital drawing with gimp! u can just simply press Ctrl+Z to reverse steps and try again, so theres really no pressure, relax.

often using new layers is also really helpful to just try stuff, and then remove the layer again, if u dont like it.

and u can also zoom in a lot, so the shaking gets smaller compared to the linesize, and additionally u can scale the image to a bigger resolution, then draw the line while zoommed in and then scale it back down, so all the lines get smoothed our and u can literally see no shaking anymore.

and u can also zoom in a lot, so the shaking gets smaller compared to the linesize, and additionally u can scale the image to a bigger resolution, then draw the line while zoommed in and then scale it back down, so all the lines get smoothed our and u can literally see no shaking anymore.

Gimp also has a very cool option, where you can increase the quality of the line, in the tools option tab. Zoom in like Seiai said, use that option, and even with a shakey hand, you can draw really smooth edges and lines.

@Argosa47,

and now that i think of it, DS itself doesnt really have a clean artstyle either, theres a lot of sketchy unclean outlines and surfacestextures and stuff, so shaky lines would probably go more along the lines of artstyle anyway.^^

i feel that whats more important to make a humanoid figure look good is harmonic proportions(which your sketch has) and shading to make it look plastic(which is really easy with a designated layer for shading and either having that layer being transparent or using brushes or airbrushes in gimp).

Thanks I think I have an idea of how it works I'm focusing on some programming right now. we also just got a kitty cat that is a snuggle bug so I've been distracted with cat affections XD. I guess I'll figure it out and try some things.

If I may suggest another program I'm starting to love, this is called Inkscape. It doesnt take a while to get used to all its features (some of which you really don't have to know) but as soon as you're used to it makes miracles ! You literally can do ANYTHING with your drawing and the quality you get its just amazing ! 

I've drawn a lot on both programs, Gimp and Inkscape and to be fair you should really try them both before choosing the one that suits you better cause both are extremely useful and easy to use (and OVERALL they are FREE XD)

@Lampofulmine,

after a short googlesearch and some reading on it,

http://www.spellbrand.com/vector-graphics-and-raster-graphics-difference

http://photo-graphics.softwareinsider.com/compare/7-53/GIMP-vs-Inkscape

as far as i understand it, Inkscape is mostly about it's use of vectorgraphics, so your drawings are constructed with mathematical vectors and can be zoomed in without qualityloss, which is good for designing logos, but doesnt help u much in DS, since u have to export it to a pixelformat anyway.

it also seems to be lacking a lot of important drawing tools, because some things just cant be supported with vectors. and it seems, that it's even harder to use than gimp, so i doubt, that its a good tool to draw textures....

Yah, i'd stick with GIMP,  You get used to it's style and seems pretty friendly for new users, once you get the hang of the format. Just remember you want a transparent background for all of your stuff. And always scale your picture out to work on details. heres two of the items i am currently beating my head over with a tube of socks that i worked on 

post-568384-0-95516200-1432079552_thumb.

post-568384-0-33061900-1432079639.png

both created in GIMP. the "candyjar' had about 5 to 6 layers in there, and two transparencies to give it that "looks like its in a jar" look. And the shiplantern (also quite a few layers, but mostly shading) was from an old pic of a nautical lantern. which i just used as an overlay for reference.) 

and remember detail isnt really needed on most things in Dont Starve. . after all, everything is really really small.  So its not that needed to have a crystal sharp image software to make your designs, even so GIMP can hold it's own. 

now if i can get my hiney in gear and understand a bit more code concept, these guys will be available for release!

@Seiai, Inkscape and Gimp are two extremely useful drawing programs to create textures and although Inkscape uses mathematical vectors if you get the hang of it you can achieve even better result than GIMP. Depends how much time you spend on it but especially what's your style: I could find myself in GIMP and so started using Inkscape.

I use it a lot and has an incredible amount of features which are really useful to create something Don't Starv-ish ! 

@Argosa47, If you want to have the basics, here there's a useful tutorial suggested by Devs; once you get the hang of those things you'll just need to look just a general tutorial on how to draw with Inkscape on the web, there are tons. I think its worth a go, especially because the result can be extremely rewarding !

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/28703-a-no-talent-hacks-guide-to-art/

Archived