Rename Survival to Cooperation and disable PvP Survival

It happens so often I'm looking for a good PvP experience and most of the servers I find are running on Survival mode . In Survival mode killing someone results in a Ghost that drains everyone's sanity so:

- it doesn't make sense to kill someone and get your sanity draining as a result.

- there are types of grievers that just sitting around as Ghosts doing nothing and draining sanity. Players also go AFK while in Ghost form which affects everyone on a server.

It'd be easier to simply deny players from hosting Survival PvP games whatsoever as Survival is intended to be played cooperatively. It also makes sense to rename Survival to Cooperation mode for clarity.

Second and complicated option is to implement a Tribe / Clan system (also a top popular request here on DST community) so that players can request each one to form or join a clan (it's a two-way request - approval process). Ghosts would then only drain sanity of your teammates, not everyone on a server. In this scenario It should also be made impossible to kick a Ghost player out of the clan without first reviving him.

I don't know that we really need to rename Survival to Cooperation... I mean, Endless Mode is also about co-op, so the distinction between the two seems fine as-is.

Klei's stance has always been pretty much "play how you wanna play", so disabling options entirely based on game mode would work against that. I can't speak to why, as I don't play PvP, but some people may actually want the added challenge of PvP in a ghost-ridden Survival world. What I'd like to see instead is that newly-created servers have their defaults set to:

PvP off

Endless Mode

Too many new folks don't understand that they even have options, let alone how to work with them, so it seems odd to start introducing them to the game with more hardcore/experienced settings like Survival/PvP. I just started up the game again real quick, and it does look like PvP now defaults to "off", but Survival is still the default game mode.

The servers you're seeing with PvP on are either likely old (when PvP was still set to "on" by default) or the players chose it that way on purpose. If you want a different PvP experience, why not host yourself? A Wilderness/PvP server, and let the fun begin... or if your computer can't handle it, maybe post a request for someone else to do it in the Server sub-forum? I know there's plenty of people out there who like PvP as well, and have exactly the same complaint.

Regarding clans/tribes, there was talk back in the day about reinventing the lobby screen to allow players to chat and find others to join together and play with. I don't necessarily agree that ghosts need an overhaul in their current state because of the other game modes... but if teams could become a real thing, perhaps the changes you mentioned could be configurations while PvP is enabled.

why you guys always understand under 'pvp': "now. 3, 2 ,1 slaughter eachother!!" the gameplay does not fit for that. their are too many elements for continuing living - even the social aspect you will find their!! and the fighting is really not balanced. i mean, if you like to pvp eachother, lets play SC2 or BF3/4. Their will be nothing social in me, when you are on the other side. I think their re obviously 2 types of player: the peacefull and the 'not-peacefull' - anyway if pvp is on or off - please realise this you 'not-peacefull' ppl

the clan-membership i very like, also that you are not gonna insane. but under 1 condition: you can resurrected only by your clan members. changing to another clan will take 30 days or more! so if there were 2 aggressive clans killed by the majority because of their looting: sorry we cannot resurrect you guys (and maybe also dont want ;-)

why you guys always understand under 'pvp': "now. 3, 2 ,1 slaughter eachother!!"

There is not much fun in just killing each other. The fun is in raiding, stealing, hiding your base and punish the opposing clans and social interactions and PvP is an element that makes it's possible.

There is not much fun in just killing each other. The fun is in raiding, stealing, hiding your base and punish the opposing clans and social interactions and PvP is an element that makes it's possible.

Yes, I also like such environment. It reminds me of the Walking Dead for example XD

But I always like to play the 'good' guy.

Just, if the (backpack-)stealing or also destroying the base wouldn't be so easy ...

Archived