Turning Beasts Against Beasts? How Do You Benefit?

I am curious, who else exploits mobs for their own personal gain? I have 8 ponds behind my base which give me a steady stream of frogs most the year. I didn't feel like wasting resources to make traps to catch them or use my own time to fight them so I build pig houses within the little ponds. So when the pigs spawn they fight the frogs and when the battles are over there are frog legs and meat everywhere! Then over and over again it goes. This always gives me plenty of food. How do you exploit the beasts of DS?

This is an integral part of the game.

Literally everyone does this

Everyone.

Treeguard vs Spider-Queen battle go place your bets now ill take $50 on the queen kthx

Yes I know, I am interested in what players have come up with to help them survive. Hmmm never tried that one...I wonder who would win. I did however lure a Goose Moose into a mega Beefalo herd, it was spectacular!  I had meatballs for days.

I always drag the hunter party to some pengulls. While MacTush runs I take out the hounds, then run around MacTush and thus run chester into him. When he then tries to blow chester's non-existant head off, I suprise him from behind.

Meat everyday!

post-390644-0-14574200-1429421499_thumb.

greenglacier

Oh, I also usually open the cave near the pig village, even if I don't enter. Lots of fuel and fertilizer drop from the bats.

-Deal with hound attacks by leading them to Eyeplant fields.

-Lure enemies into the range of tentacles.

-Trick Treeguards into fighting giants.

-Lure enemies into Killer Bee fields, then smash their hives while they're distracted.

-Trick enemies into fighting frogs so they get swarmed.

Anyone who wants a way of farming the walrus camps try this:

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/884116608992254106/B03E436DCF0958AB6FDEBA8FA61550D0FBB6C06A/

Plant about 4 or so spider eggs maybe 30-40 days before you think winter will start and chances are they will be lvl 3 dens when winter starts. Then just sit nearby and watch the carnage! As you can see from the picture if you open the link the loot is ridiculous and if you can get a deerclops to smash up all the spider dens when you're done, even better!

Then just clear your inventory and make 20 trips to base and back to collect it all!

:wilson_sneaky:

-Deal with hound attacks by leading them to Eyeplant fields.

-Lure enemies into the range of tentacles.

-Trick Treeguards into fighting giants.

-Lure enemies into Killer Bee fields, then smash their hives while they're distracted.

-Trick enemies into fighting frogs so they get swarmed.

I tried that thing with the hound attacks and eye plant fields but all that happened was that fire hounds would die and then set fire to EVERYTHING, it just wasn't worth it.

I tried that thing with the hound attacks and eye plant fields but all that happened was that fire hounds would die and then set fire to EVERYTHING, it just wasn't worth it.

Yeah I have to be careful with fire hounds, I once tried to lure them to my pig village and they got beat up by the pigs causing them to burst into flame. Burnt my whole village down. :/

Well, be sensible when/where you use it.

If there's going to be fire hounds, don't use it around lots of burnables.

Consider planting an eye plant in a relatively clear area. Even clearing an area (With the shovel) to make it suitable.

Merms don't care what you do as long as you don't get close to their home.  I find it amusing to walk near one, wait for it to stop, and then carefully push it into a tentacle. 

When it rains frogs in the spring, run to your bee hives.  Once the fun starts get out of the way.

Merms don't care what you do as long as you don't get close to their home.  I find it amusing to walk near one, wait for it to stop, and then carefully push it into a tentacle. 

When it rains frogs in the spring, run to your bee hives.  Once the fun starts get out of the way.

Yeah well I was chased to all corners of the map by a merm for no reason. He just kept following me so I led him to my pigs.

SILK vs PUFFS

Four rabbit hutches in a square. A spider egg in the middle.  Usually I check on it in the first hours of morning. Spider silks and glands for free. Sometimes monster meat or bigmeat, but since spiders will eat meat (much like pigs) I don't count on much meat production.  But, since spiders and rabbitmen come out at night, they are constantly fighting. 

PORK vs BEEF:

For bigmeat farm, I've built 4 pig houses right in the middle of my Beefalo herd. Normally, I don't hunt beefalo for their meat since monstermeat turns into meatballs, so my Beefalo herds can usually get fairly large.  Every spring, when Beefalo go into heat, they wreck shop on the pigs. Often it ends up with 4 pigs dead and 1 beefalo dead for a total of 8 bigmeat. Just got to remember to walk up that way with your Beefalo hat on during the rainy season. Check back every couple days.

If you want, during the non-mating seasons, you just take one monster meat with you. Feed to the 1st pig you see. Have him attack a Beefalo. Its like a scene out of West Side Story. The two gangs go at each other until one is completely wiped out. Usually the pigs lose, but they often take a beefalo or two down with them.

Archived