How do you prepare for bosses?

Odal

Just curious how others do it.  Also, I'm curious - is there is a predictable pattern for when each boss spawns?

For example, I play with all seasons on the longest setting and have learned that I can reliably predict Deerclops to show up around 10 days before the end of winter.  Being prepared has helped so much though, when I am able to predict them.

To prepare for Deerclops I made sure to have a few extra armor pieces, a boomerang, a meal, some logs to light a fire if coldness becomes an issue, and the materials for a ham bat handy so I would have the freshest Ham bat ever to fight him with.  I kited him over to my tooth traps and had my way with him pretty easily.  It's amazing how much preparedness helps towards being able to take down a giant and how much being unprepared leads to panic and a bunch of destroyed stuff, if not complete death.

Just curious, how do you all prepare for each of the giants?  MooGoose?  Dragonfly?  Bearger?  My only strategy for dragonfly has been to give him 20 ashes and run away...

My biggest fear is them destroying EVERYTHING.  I've rage-deleted worlds despite killing the giant because they're so destructive.  I'd rather my character die and respawn if it meant my stuff didn't get totally destroyed.

Here's how I prepare:

• Leifs: Just have tons of pinecones to plant onto their face, then they'll shut up and fight any new hazard. (good against giants)
  • Spider queens: Kill the eggs, kill them with fire!
  • Deerclops: Just head to the swamp after the first winter's peak, and if that doesn't help, use the walrus hunters. He typically only shows up on the first winter in my experience (which doesn't last many game-years :p)
  • G/Goose: It's literally enough to leave her alone.
  • Dragonfly: There's not much in terms of preparing for this one. Get old bells, lots of armour sets, clean the area of dense burnables. Expect them every summer, every year.
  • Bearger: Try to get some decoy food, it's invaluable. And don't put your money on good armour, it almost doesn't matter at all.
  • Kool Aid: If you empty his head, he'll instincively go away to refill. :p

No limit or warranty.

Dragonfly: 20 ash, 14 gunpowder

Bearger: 10 honey, 14 gunpowder, tentacle spike

Deerclops: 40+ toothtraps

Moosegoose: Large group of horny cows

Leading the bearger into the wasp garden works too, but that usually destroys a good chunk of the hives and can only be done so many times.

Just curious, how do you all prepare for each of the giants?

number one prep is always have a miner's hat, so you can fight (or run) through the night.  

3 tamed treeguards is usually great for deerclops and bearger, though you can also fight bearger in melee without too much risk.  But he's great to lead around harvesting wood and rocks for.  Graves too if you can get him to the graveyard. 

If treeguards aren't feasible the first winter, deerclops usually involves as many blowdarts as I can scrape together, plus strategic firepits and pre-planted treelines that can be set on fire for warmth (he won't attack treelines) followed by melee.    If possible have four sleep darts, so that when he shows up in the evening, you can put him to sleep and fight him during the day, allowing you to use head for warmth.  Be careful though not to go so far he disappears - The eyebrella is one of the best items in the game.

G'Goose, you want to spend the first few days of spring away from your base if possible, so the g'Goose nests in a place not too near your berry bushes, drying racks, or other food stores, which the moslings will devour.   I like to wait till it's hatched the moslings (for maximum downage) and then a well-timed old bell will usually instakill most of them without the whirlwind headaches.  G'Goose itself is of course easy to melee.

Firefly is blowdarts and/or gunpowder.  If you started in spring, your first summer you might want to placate it and run, unless you can farm a lot of gunpowder fast in the spring.

After my first winter, I almost always try to keep a stack of blowdarts in chester, as backup just in case I get surprised by a giant in unfavorable circumstances.  Try to always keep a boomerang on hand in winter, kill every snowbird you can.  Their feathers are the key ingredient to blowdarts.

Hopefully by late game you have several strategic tooth trap fields, because even the best strategies can be hard to execute if you get a hound wave + giant at the same time.

I wanted to edit my original post to change "bosses" to giants, but I couldn't edit the title :\  Oh well.  Yeah tree kings and spider queens are easy enough to deal with though, however I used to just kill tree guys, but now I'm learning it may be better to let them live.

Does GooMoose despawn if you leave it alone?

After my first winter, I almost always try to keep a stack of blowdarts in chester, as backup just in case I get surprised by a giant in unfavorable circumstances.  Try to always keep a boomerang on hand in winter, kill every snowbird you can.  Their feathers are the key ingredient to blowdarts.
There's always SOMETHING I forget about this game.  I had a one-track mind in thinking that I had to trap birds, which is a hassle and didn't want to bother to make blow darts.  Thanks for reminding me that I can just boomerang the blue birds.

Funny enough, i had one of those in the world i was playing when i made this thread. Unfortunately, dragonfly came by and burned down about 200 grass tufts in about 2 seconds flat. i let my character die promply thereafter. That set was a nice source of meat though. I didn't think of dragging giants over there.

Edit - I actually think the question should be how to stop things like that from happening from the giants. I had no problem giving him the ashes and walking away, i just didn't want my stuff burned down. I'm thinking about having grass walls spaced out around my base to serve as a distraction for any giant until i can get their attention with a boomerang and drag them away from my base.

As soon as you get the warning "A giant approaches" or whatever it is for each character, just run. Run straight to an area you know is easy to maneuver around but far from your base.

Most of us have set up some type of hound killing field full of tooth traps. Basically, thats where I go for each giant. As soon as you get the first warning line, just run.  I've taken someone's advice (I forget who, but wasn't it you, Odal) and built a chest in that area that I keep spare armor as well as 14 gunpowder + 20 ashes.  This way, all I have to do is just run. Once I get there, I know the giant won't spawn in my base, so i can take a moment to switch out gear / armor up.

MooseGoose and Bearger - very, very easy to fight - some decent health, armor items and a tentacle spike mean that you can give them the ol' 3 hits and then run away, just keep in mind that every third attack of the Moose will blow your weapon away and after the badger does the AOE slam attack he'll swipe at you immediatelly. Basically they mean free frood with almost no preparation.

Deerclops and Dragonfly - OP as fuark bruh - either get something to put them to sleep and blow them up or prepare to rage

As soon as you get the warning "A giant approaches" or whatever it is for each character, just run. Run straight to an area you know is easy to maneuver around but far from your base.

Most of us have set up some type of hound killing field full of tooth traps. Basically, thats where I go for each giant. As soon as you get the first warning line, just run.  I've taken someone's advice (I forget who, but wasn't it you, Odal) and built a chest in that area that I keep spare armor as well as 14 gunpowder + 20 ashes.  This way, all I have to do is just run. Once I get there, I know the giant won't spawn in my base, so i can take a moment to switch out gear / armor up.

For some reason I thought they spawn based on where you first heard them, but when I really think about it, I do remember moving to somewhere safe for dragonfly before.  But I think in a video I was watching, the person ran to a specific spot for Deerclops and it spawned near where he heard it first instead of where he moved to

MooseGoose and Bearger - very, very easy to fight - some decent health, armor items and a tentacle spike mean that you can give them the ol' 3 hits and then run away, just keep in mind that every third attack of the Moose will blow your weapon away and after the badger does the AOE slam attack he'll swipe at you immediatelly. Basically they mean free frood with almost no preparation.

Deerclops and Dragonfly - OP as fuark bruh - either get something to put them to sleep and blow them up or prepare to rage

Interesting, I'll keep that in mind.  And Deerclops is not very difficult imo, he doesn't even have a different attack to watch out for.

Edit - I forgot that I wanted to mention this, but I want to see if I can replicate it.  I was watching a stream the other day where the person defeated Dragonfly in a really clever (perhaps even a bit cheaty) way.  He basically just had two fire pits on the ground just far apart enough for him to go through but not wide enough for Dragonfly to get through and Dragonfly just got stuck there.  Still decently dangerous, but you do stop him from moving as long as you keep him aggroed on you.  And Dragonfly doesn't destroy the firepits (in fact, he lights them for you).

The two fire-pits trick no longer works.  Dragonfly was upgraded to allow him to fly over obstacles like that.

MooseGoose can spawn super fast with very little warning. Something about her. It is entirely possible that she will spawn where you first heard her since the actual first warning might be too soft to hear.

But for the other 3 giants, I have found it is very easy to get to a specific spot before they arrive.

Gmoose: Just stay away from your base during day 2-5 of spring. She destroys structures and her babies eat your food. You can easily kill her by hitting and running, but the real threat are her babies. They'll start to attack you after you killed their mother and you can't escape them so you should lure them to some beefalo or kill them with ranged weapons before you kill the mother.

Dragonfly: Run away from your base when she is coming and stay away from forests. Drop 20 ashes to put her to sleep. You can kill her with 14 gunpowder when she sleeps or use firepits (they still work in single player).

Bearger: Keep him away from your base, he'll eat your food. You can kill him by hitting and running or put him to sleep with 10 honey, damage him with 13 gunpowder and kill him with a few spear hits. Pay attention to your sanity.

Deerclops: You can kill him by hitting and running or damage him with 9 gunpowder and kill him with a few spear hits. Pay attention to your sanity.

However, don't forget to watch out for those cursed Krampii. Kill too many blue birds at once, and they'll make you regret it.

I personally tend to make a cabin in the Woods nowadays, with a small survival kit (winter clothing, some food and fuel) and products for multiple boomerangs, and a bunch of bird traps. Then I go full exterminator and kill every blue bird in sight. Krampii will spawn right on spot, so they won't wait until you're home again, because the cabin is seen as a structure.

On a slightly related note, it's also the place where I take glommer to our monthly 'ritual'. Same reason.

And completely on topic: Looks like I have bad luck. I have all Giants set to "more", so max 2 per season, and I'm in my second autumn but haven't seen a single one :frown:

Something about the MooseGoose, how do you get it to lay an egg/make moosegoslings? 

I've killed many a moosegoose, but I have yet to see a single baby or egg or whatever.  So what do you have to do/not do to get them to show up? 

Something about the MooseGoose, how do you get it to lay an egg/make moosegoslings? 

I've killed many a moosegoose, but I have yet to see a single baby or egg or whatever.  So what do you have to do/not do to get them to show up? 

Don't put pressure on her. Check in once a day, as soon as she laid the egg you should kill her though. If the mossslings grow too much, they can fight themselves (dodging becomes highly important then).

Are you killing the G'Goose right when it appears?   You have to first see it, then give it a few days to lay an egg, and then another few days for the moslings to hatch.  It's not a bad idea to try to time your tasks so that for the first few days of spring (I think the M'Moose always arrives in the first day or two) you are somewhat far away from your camp doing something.   It can be a bit annoying to have the M'Moose show up right by your camp, and it can be disastrous for the moslings to hatch near your camp.  If you manage to get the M'Moose to show up a little ways away from your camp, make sure to visit the vicinity every couple of days, so that you get proper progression of M'Moose-->egg-->moslings.

Well that didn't work out so well.

Spring came around again and the MooseGoose showed up.  I avoided it, only checking on it a few times over the course of several days.  Unfortunately, the last time I checked on it I got see it get killed by a big pile of Beefalo.  Oh well, got enough feathers for a fan.

i don't lololol

Pre-RoG, I just kitted out in the Winter and kicked Deerclops until it died. In RoG I just spend time away from home until they spawn then drag them to something that'll beat 'em up for me while whacking them with a stick. Feeding Bearger seems a lot easier than beating it up though. I might pull them towards the local beehives and try to make them hit one, save me some time doing it myself.

So all this talk about fighting the giants, but I can't even get them to show up, aside from the G/Goose.

What are the necessary conditions to get them to spawn (or are they purely chance unlike the G/Goose?)? I have played over three years in my world and seen one deerclops. Nothing else. I've tried wandering my whole world mid-season and found nothing. I've stayed near my camp all season and found nothing

Please help me!

So all this talk about fighting the giants, but I can't even get them to show up, aside from the G/Goose.

What are the necessary conditions to get them to spawn (or are they purely chance unlike the G/Goose?)? I have played over three years in my world and seen one deerclops. Nothing else. I've tried wandering my whole world mid-season and found nothing. I've stayed near my camp all season and found nothing

Please help me!

line 174 of basehassler.lua:

elseif self:IsHasslerState(name, "WAITING") then

self:SetHasslerState(name, "WARNING")

if math.random() >= h.chance then

self:SkipHasslerSpawn(name)

end    

end

Also there's a spawnconditionsfn which can be overridden if too many spawns are tasked already.

It seems like there are "further conditions", but only for deerclops (there must be snow) and Gmoose (must be in base and away from FX or unclickable entities)

It seems like there are "further conditions", but only for deerclops (there must be snow) and Gmoose (must be in base and away from FX or unclickable entities)

Are berries, grass, and twigs considered to be "spawn" items? Or only new entities? Being near my base might be the mistake then (50+ twigs and grass tufts with 25+ berry bushes). I've also become lazy with picking my flowers and they're overtaking my base; could they somehow have some spawn tag or something?

Also, is it true that the dragonfly is attracted to birchnut trees? And by attracted, would that mean higher spawn chance around deciduous forests and such?

Are berries, grass, and twigs considered to be "spawn" items? Or only new entities? Being near my base might be the mistake then (50+ twigs and grass tufts with 25+ berry bushes). I've also become lazy with picking my flowers and they're overtaking my base; could they somehow have some spawn tag or something?

Also, is it true that the dragonfly is attracted to birchnut trees? And by attracted, would that mean higher spawn chance around deciduous forests and such?

I said only the GMoose has that condition. Wild plants are not considered a base, structures like chests or pig huts are. And "FX" stands for "eff ects" as in graphical effects.

The dragonfly is attracted to anything that can burn to ashes, including your skin if fried long enough. But it doesn't have unique spawn conditions.

Are you sure you haven't turned them off? I always get a dragonfly in every summer (after the peak of summer, when in the base)

I said only the GMoose has that condition. Wild plants are not considered a base, structures like chests or pig huts are. And "FX" stands for "eff ects" as in graphical effects.

The dragonfly is attracted to anything that can burn to ashes, including your skin if fried long enough. But it doesn't have unique spawn conditions.

Are you sure you haven't turned them off? I always get a dragonfly in every summer (after the peak of summer, when in the base)

Okay, I thought you said something about if there are too many spawns in an area during a period, they will trump a giant spawn (I don't really understand the code; I've only done some math scripts in R before).

I just encountered my second deerclops on my fourth winter. I spent one of my three autumns in the caves, so just two autumns absent of the bearger, and all three summers absent of the dragonfly.

I'm positive they are on. I didn't touch the world settings aside from starting in Autumn. I'll hope for the best on my upcoming summer and autumn. Thank you very much for helping me out with all this

Archived