Bird Cage is Overpowered

Why does the bird in the birdcage never starve? Even though it starves when it is in the player's pocket (RoG beta)?

Also isn't it overpowered that one bird can trade an unlimited number of meats for eggs? Should there not be a limit based on time, and the player must host multiple birds if they wish to attain a very large number of eggs? It just seems fairer. if you want lots of jerkies you have lots of drying racks, if you want a huge number of eggs, you have to have multiple birdcages.

When RoG first was introduced for Don't Starve the birds would starve in the cage.  It proved very annoying since you had to get a bird every day.  Also in the early days of vanilla what type of bird you put in the cage mattered.  So you always had to put a black bird because the red bird would freeze in winter and the blue bird would overheat in the summer.

As for OP not really.  You're still trading something you have for something else at 1:1.  It would be OP if you could give it anything and it turned it into an egg like rot or flowers or honey.  Its also an higher tech structure that still requires another entity after its constructed so the reward should be high.   The only thing that is a little OP is you can give it spoiled or rotting food, so if your eggs are about to rot you can just feed them all back to the bird.   BUT rotted eggs are useful so if they ever get to that point I always just let them go.  Meat is easy enough to come by.

You are trading something not usable for something usable, in this case monster meat gor eggs, all you need to do is to cook some monster meat, and you will have tons of monster meat from spiders, and you don't need to fight with spiders as you can use traps to kill them. After that you can just change 3 monster meats for eggs and put them with 4 monster meat into crock pot for meatballs.

After that you can just change 3 monster meats for eggs and put them with 4 monster meat into crock pot for meatballs.

That's 7... crock pots only need 4 O___O

I hear you though... as a veteran *activate bragging rights* this is already an easy thing to do... but for those still new to this, that is a very difficult task for them...

1. You have to go to the treacherous swamps to get the reeds to make the birdcage...
  2. You need to have already built an Alchemy Engine to craft this...
  3. You need to get silk from spiders to make a bird trap to catch the birds...
  4. About the monster meat from spiders, yes it is easy with the help of traps... but to get to this point you are entitled a respite...

So, what do you suggest?

That's 7... crock pots only need 4 O___O

I hear you though... as a veteran *activate bragging rights* this is already an easy thing to do... but for those still new to this, that is a very difficult task for them...

1. You have to go to the treacherous swamps to get the reeds to make the birdcage...
  2. You need to have already built an Alchemy Engine to craft this...
  3. You need to get silk from spiders to make a bird trap to catch the birds...
  4. About the monster meat from spiders, yes it is easy with the help of traps... but to get to this point you are entitled a respite...

So, what do you suggest?

Nothing at all. I don't see any problems with going to the swamps, I had my base on the swamps, now I have a base on the desert.

I don't know why you think getting any of those things is a big deal?

Its all very easy.

Don't Starve has problmes, many problems, the game gets to 0/10 once you learned how to play it, its one time thing, once you know how to play it there is nothing interesting in it.

Don't Starve has problmes, many problems, the game gets to 0/10 once you learned how to play it, its one time thing, once you know how to play it there is nothing interesting in it.
So, what do you suggest?

I meant suggest to make it more of a challenge... O__O

I meant suggest to make it more of a challenge... O__O

It needs more events for the start, maybe some more complex hunger/health system, and so on.

The game contnent is quite small, in the base game and in DST, its really 20 - 40 hours game at best.

I won't be playing much of the DST anyway, cause its a mistake that sould not happen.

I admit it feels weird that we have to feed every captured animals but not the bird in the cage. If we had to feed it maybe it would encourage players to have someone watching over the camp while others hunt, mine, etc...So, more roleplaying for a more rigorous gameplay. I'd be ok.

Doesn anyone know the Seed drop rates after feeding fruit to the bird?

I am starting a dragonfruit farm and I have the feeling that i only get 10 or 11 Dragonfruit Seeds from 9 dragonfruits (and only if I dont feed him too fast). In SIngleplayer it used to be 2 seeds per fruit. Right now my dragonfruit farm is not that profitable since i have to wait for a whole batch of 9 to grow then get one or two fruit out of it...

Archived