Need help making special powers

@Aphid98 Binding the key is probably the easiest part. See if you can make the component first.

Ideally, you would also have a modified or custom stategraph that can play a firebreathing animation when the fireball is launched, or it would just come out of nowhere.

To bind a key, use one of the AddKey_Handler's in TheInput. (See input.lua)

Example:

TheInput = GLOBAL.TheInputlocal key = GLOBAL.KEY_G -- See constants.lua for all keys/codeslocal function PrintHi()    print("hi")endTheInput:AddKeyDownHandler(key, PrintHi)

This prints "hi" to the console when you press "g".

So i have added the code I think i need, but now whenever i open the character in a world the game crashes... Here is the log:log.txt

i opened it and i had no idea where to look for the messed up code... Any ideas?

wait... How do you mean component?

because, i put all of the fire breathing code in the special powers place  :wilson_smile:

edit: Not all of it, just the attack/add fire projectile and sound 

p.s: I'm really sorry, I am a bad programmer.

@Aphid98

In your log:

cole.lua:123: attempt to index global 'TheInput' (a nil value)
In prefabs/scripts, you don't need TheInput = GLOBAL.TheInput because global variables are already available. You only need it in modmain.

See this guide for more information on reading log files.

Information on components:

@Aphid98 Have you read about components from either of the links? If so, please have a look at any component's code (in "..\scripts\components", then compare the general structure with your code (just the first and last ~20 lines). Your code is attempting to make a prefab, not a component. If you don't want to write the code from scratch, I suggest finding a component that is very similar to what you need and modifying that.

@Blueberrys I need help with a special power (2 to be exact)

1 of them is a perk that innocents (rabbits, bird etc.) won't run away when the palyer gets close to it

2nd one will be a perk (more like a downside) is that the character will take 100 damage when eating berries, roasted ones and also fist      full of jam (only)

If you can give me a head start or at least a direction to start with will be most helpful. Thanks. :wickerbottomthanks:

@Blueberrys I need help with a special power (2 to be exact)

1 of them is a perk that innocents (rabbits, bird etc.) won't run away when the palyer gets close to it

2nd one will be a perk (more like a downside) is that the character will take 100 damage when eating berries, roasted ones and also fist      full of jam (only)

If you can give me a head start or at least a direction to start with will be most helpful. Thanks.

both go to the part in your characters file that has the other player abilities

1)

inst:RemoveTag("scarytoprey")

2)

local function BerryDeath(inst, data)

if data.food then

if data.food.prefab == "berries" or data.food.prefab == "WHATEVER" then --you can continue on the "or ... = ..."

inst.components.health:DoDelta(-100)

end

end

end

inst:ListenForEvent("oneat",BerryDeath)

both go to the part in your characters file that has the other player abilities

1)

inst:RemoveTag("scarytoprey")

2)

local function BerryDeath(inst, data)

if data.food then

if data.food.prefab == "berries" or data.food.prefab == "WHATEVER" then --you can continue on the "or ... = ..."

inst.components.health:DoDelta(-100)

end

end

end

inst:ListenForEvent("oneat",BerryDeath)

Thanks a lot! 

But I don't get the file you are talking about...

Or do I need to create another prefab or something?

Thanks a lot! 

But I don't get the file you are talking about...

Or do I need to create another prefab or something?

Have you used a template? It should have a bit saying "add powers here" or alike. That's where you put the code.

Also, keep in mind that WHATEVER isn't an actual prefab, but a placeholder. I got bored :p

@Aphid98 Have you read about components from either of the links? If so, please have a look at any component's code (in "..\scripts\components", then compare the general structure with your code (just the first and last ~20 lines). Your code is attempting to make a prefab, not a component. If you don't want to write the code from scratch, I suggest finding a component that is very similar to what you need and modifying that

Ok, I am having a lot of trouble making the component file.  I still crashes every time i run it, (probably because of the bad component file)

I have attached the file here: firebreath.lua

i think it has problems with it not specifying that it is a special power? Idk...

I don't get the file you are talking about...

Your character's prefab file "..\your_mod\scripts\your_character_prefab.lua".

You need to put those inside the create function (named "fn" usually) because "inst" refers to the player.

@Aphid98 That one looks a lot better, well done. If you post your log, we can point out what's causing the problem.

Have you used a template? It should have a bit saying "add powers here" or alike. That's where you put the code.

Also, keep in mind that WHATEVER isn't an actual prefab, but a placeholder. I got bored :razz:

You need to put those inside the create function (named "fn" usually) because "inst" refers to the player.

@Aphid98 That one looks a lot better, well done. If you post your log, we can point out what's causing the problem.

So do I put it in : local common_postinit = function(inst)   (or in the)   local master_postinit = function(inst)

thanks again guys...Probably gonna credit you guys if the mod gets onto the workshop! :kiwi:

shaman.lua

Awesome! Here is the log:log.txt

@Aphid98

Your log says:

...nt_starve/data/../mods/Cole/scripts/prefabs/cole.lua:52: variable 'firebreath' is not declared

The problem is in cole.lua. Check around line 52, see if you can figure it out. Provide the file's content if you get stuck.

I don't actually know how to reference my component correctly, How should i tell it to look for the file?

@Aphid98 See how the other prefabs do it.

For example, "houndstooth.lua":

inst:AddComponent("stackable")inst.components.stackable.maxsize = TUNING.STACK_SIZE_SMALLITEM

It seems that the problem is my firebreath variable is not declared, this is the code:

local prefabs = {}

local fn = function(inst)

-- choose which sounds this character will play
inst.soundsname = "maxwell"

-- a minimap icon must be specified
inst.MiniMapEntity:SetIcon( "wolfgang.png" )

-- todo: Add an example special power here.
inst:AddComponent("firebreath")
local key = GLOBAL.KEY_LCTRL -- See constants.lua for all keys/codes

TheInput:AddKeyDownHandler(key, firebreath)
end

Archived