Reign of Giants public test: March 27th Update

• Developer

March 27th Update - 131925

We have a couple new features in today!

The main one is a pretty massive change to the way fire works. We've been thinking a lot about what the role of fire is in DST relative to DS, and have decided that it's more of an active problem that needs dealing with (rather than the brutal destructive force it was in vanilla). In that vein, we've slowed down how quickly fire spreads, and utilised the smoldering mechanic so that you can actually head off a raging fire if you catch it in time (plus a new item to help with the job!).

We're doing this in the RoG testing branch because we want to see how it behaves with summer wildfires in particular. We're interested in how you're dealing with fires with this new style, whether or not it's too easy to deal with fire now, and whether it still feels exciting when stuff starts burning. Let us know what you think!

In addition, we put the switch back on the flingomatic. Now, though, instead of turning off, it goes into "emergency mode" when you flip the switch.

Here's what we fixed in today's update:

• Text input behaving erratically on server creation screen
  • Client crashing in race conditions when using an inventory item
  • Crash when removing a previously cooked meal from the crockpot
  • Crash on dedicated servers from beeboxes
  • Seeds instantly wither upon planting
  • Cleaned up behaviour around sleeping and burning tents.
  • Duplicate symbols appearing on world customisation screen.
  • "I can't do that" when fertilizing
  • Spacebar haunts farmplots instead of crops

Original Post:

Hi everybody! As you know we've been hard at work on integrating Reign of Giants into Don't Starve Together, and we're just about ready to launch it! The main challenge at this point is that RoG is a whole lotta game and we need your help testing it to make sure we didn't break things as we converted it over to multiplayer.

It's not quite ready for prime-time yet, but if you want to hop in to our testing branch, we'd really appreciate letting us know if anything is crashing, broken, or missing.

Instructions for getting the RoG test version:

• You must already own Don't Starve Together. (Reign of Giants not required.)
  • The game must not be running.
  • In your Steam client right click on Don’t Starve Together Beta and select “Properties”
  • Select the “Betas” tab
  • Enter the code “rogtogetherbeta” in the text box and press the “Check Code” button. You should see a confirmation message that the RoG_Together_Beta is now available.
  • In the drop-down under menu select to opt into RoG_Together_Beta. You should see a message that you have successfully opted into the RoG_Together_Beta. Press “Close”.
post-202401-0-18353700-1426617529_thumb.

post-202401-0-23299900-1426617532_thumb.

post-202401-0-81487300-1426617534_thumb.

WARNING!

This uses the same save slots as the normal game but the saves aren't compatible. Make sure you create a new save file for your RoG test as the save files won't transfer back to the normal game.

WARNING!

Please keep all bug reports and related conversation in this thread so that all the feedback related to this special testing branch is in one place. Thank you!

Current known issues:

• Bearger, Dragonfly, and Goosemoose (Moosegoose?) are still missing, they'll show up sometime soon though!
  • Moles and Moggles are missing due to technical challenges with night vision.
Major changes from single-player Reign of Giants to be aware of:
  • Deerclops shows up all winter long to harass everyone's bases.
  • Heat stones have been reworked to more clearly display if they'll help you or not. The graphics change to show if the stone is warmer or colder than the current ambient temperature.
  • Updated smallbird lifecycle so they can grow up in the wild.
  • Crafting menu has been altered to be more dynamic, so scroll arrows only show when needed. Mouse wheel also works on it!
  • Full moon has been retuned to 1 night every 22 days, starting on the 11th day.
  • Flingomatic no longer has an on-off switch.
  • The Old Bell and Bigfood are absent from multiplayer due to their extreme destructive potential.
  • There are also many small changes and fixes, but keep your eyes peeled for anything weird!
  • We will be continuing to address balance and tuning issues for multiplayer, so your feedback is appreciated!
Thanks for your help, everyone! We're excited to get RoG out to you!

Don't forget to post your feedback in this thread. The test branch is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Dedicated server instructions:

If you are running your server through the steam interface: Simply go through the above process with the Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server in the tools list to join the rog_together_beta branch and launch the server.

If you are running from the command line using steamcmd:

Launch steamcmd and run:

app_update 343050 -beta rog_together_beta -betapassword rogtogetherbeta validate 
Further information can be found at: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

Thanks @Kzisor!

March 27th Update - 131925

We have a couple new features in today!

The main one is a pretty massive change to the way fire works. We've been thinking a lot about what the role of fire is in DST relative to DS, and have decided that it's more of an active problem that needs dealing with (rather than the brutal destructive force it was in vanilla). In that vein, we've slowed down how quickly fire spreads, and utilised the smoldering mechanic so that you can actually head off a raging fire if you catch it in time (plus a new item to help with the job!).

We're doing this in the RoG testing branch because we want to see how it behaves with summer wildfires in particular. We're interested in how you're dealing with fires with this new style, whether or not it's too easy to deal with fire now, and whether it still feels exciting when stuff starts burning. Let us know what you think!

In addition, we put the switch back on the flingomatic. Now, though, instead of turning off, it goes into "emergency mode" when you flip the switch.

Hey there.  I look forward to trying out the game changes.  I'm curious ( and maybe you can update the post,) on what exactly is the "smothering mechanic"?  How does it work? 

Have you guys considered allowing upgraded stone walls to blocking the spread of fire?  Seems like it would be a good reason to build walls then around farms ect.

Also for the flingomatic, what does "emergency mode" do?

Keep up the good work.

Having never played single player RoG, my friend and I just thought our farms were useless during the summer, we weren't aware the withering seed was a bug!  I wonder how much other stuff we have similarly not noticed.

I also have some questions about deerclop's intended behaviour.  In my games, he has invariably spawned on a survivor that is far away from our base, exploring or gathering resources.  This results in him wandering around a bit, maybe breaking a pig hut or two, and then disappearing.  I don't really feel like this is particularly exciting or dangerous, in fact to engage him I think we would have to go out of our way.  Maybe it would be better if the deerclops spawned relative to player created structures rather than current player locations?

I also wonder how the fire change will interact with the trapped chest/fire staff set piece, it would be pretty disappointing if you could just immediately extinguish it.

After checking on the new addition, I couldn't help but to laugh at it at its function. It can get literally trolly, especially at night when it can extinguish any forms of fire, even campfires as well, not to mention its ridiculous range just to fight any fire that appears (and accidentally snuffing the light at dark, cue the Charlie Attack that can end the whole world.)

Other than that, the new fire feature is great overall, since huge fire spread isn't really a joke in RoG. :/

all my saved servers are deleted and i dont have anymore thr RoG in DST update to **** the clients ? i and my friend are in a save of 105days and updated now and all saves deleted very goog kley thanks a lot. this hapenning on steam

all my saved servers are deleted and i dont have anymore thr RoG in DST update to **** the clients ? i and my friend are in a save of 105days and updated now and all saves deleted very goog kley thanks a lot. this hapenning on steam

founded the error after the update i need to put the key in beta RoG again and all saves are now back 

After checking on the new addition, I couldn't help but to laugh at it at its function. It can get literally trolly, especially at night when it can extinguish any forms of fire, even campfires as well, not to mention its ridiculous range just to fight any fire that appears (and accidentally snuffing the light at dark, cue the Charlie Attack that can end the whole world.)

Other than that, the new fire feature is great overall, since huge fire spread isn't really a joke in RoG. :/

You must be talking about the flingomatic, and its not a new addition.  Nor have its mechanics changed besides the off/on switch.  I'd suggest you look at what was added in the DLC (ROG) for Don't Starve vanilla.

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Don%27t_Starve:_Reign_of_Giants

The "new addition" is a water balloon, which has limited range and limited availability due to requiring mosquito sacks.

You must be talking about the flingomatic, and its not a new addition.  Nor have its mechanics changed besides the off/on switch.  I'd suggest you look at what was added in the DLC (ROG) for Don't Starve vanilla.

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Don%27t_Starve:_Reign_of_Giants

The "new addition" is a water balloon, which has limited range and limited availability due to requiring mosquito sacks.

.. I was referring to that. I wasn't even talking about the flingomatic.

This kind of new mechanic for wildfire is totally awkward, in my opinion.

I agree.  I understand the necessity for fire rework but when I want to make charcoal it now takes an entire day for it since you have to wait for each and every tree to catch fire.  Perhaps instead of making fire spreading take so long maybe the more fires that are present cause fire to spread faster?  that way i can light a few trees on fire and that triggers the old fire mechanic to take effect.  It not really logical that when 4 trees relatively close to  each other cant catch the trees in the middle of them on fire quickly.

Whats the reason for the other giants not being in? One can spawn them via console, is it just balancing that needs to be done or what?

And does it have negative effect on the world?

I mean.. Since you can spawn him, he must be in the database.. But IS he there, like he can be useful, and you can spawn the other things you've updated yet without hurting the world?

Also, shouldnt ice flingo's job not make farms grow at summer? Cause 1/8 farms grows.

And does it have negative effect on the world?

I mean.. Since you can spawn him, he must be in the database.. But IS he there, like he can be useful, and you can spawn the other things you've updated yet without hurting the world?

Also, shouldnt ice flingo's job not make farms grow at summer? Cause 1/8 farms grows.

Ive spawned all the giants, they all drop the respective loot and all seem 100% functional, maybe Klei are making some changes to their AI, thats my only guess.

Ive spawned all the giants, they all drop the respective loot and all seem 100% functional, maybe Klei are making some changes to their AI, thats my only guess.

Fair. I just tried the same. Never seen Beager and Dragon fly. Damn, Dragon Fly is a beast!! Thought Deerclop was "strong".

Yeah, seem like it. need to reconfig so they can be able in the multiplayer.

Although Extended mod generation do have the Acident Giants, so it's just some codes that might be disabled.

Do you do about my ice question? 

Got this crash whenever I selected the "View World" option for a public server. It happened only on one of them in the list, for the rest of the servers I could view the world settings just fine. 

KAkA4Jv.jpg

The server had 3 mods enabled but none of them had anything to do with modifying the world settings.

OkFZl0p.jpg

I experienced same 'child-killing Tallbird' problem previously reported by other player. Younger Tallbird suddenly generated near Tallbird's nest and they're fighting each other. I got free meats as results. Check Rhymes with play dedicated server log.

Archived